Ever heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever heard of this?

My son took a DOT physical yesterday for a new job. Besides failing the eye test, they told him he needed a sleep study for apnea. He was told because his neck is over 17 inches, the sleep study is required. What does your neck size have to do with it?

17" girth? or length?

Comment

Larger neck size indicates more tissue around your airway and could make it harder for air to pass through

Comment

It has to be new! It hasn’t been that way!

Comment

Girth, and yes that's a sleep apnea risk factor. This is a big deal in trucking now.

Comment

Yup. Had a guy at work that was told the same thing. They don’t want you asleep at the wheel.

Comment

Seems like common sense. Fatter/bigger neck= likely heavier individual. Which means higher chance of being overweight, which also means higher likelihood of having sleep apnea or underlying conditions which can cause issues driving/being sedentary

Comment

this is purely a guess on my part, but

probably DOT statistics show that the majority of people with a 17" circumference neck are leaning toward the obese category and more likely to suffer from sleep apnea and thus a higher likelihood of either having a worklplace accident or having higher rates of absenteeism or medical claims.

Comment

This is the first I have heard. Guess Ill see what the doc says when I go in june to get mine.

And sounds like I will be needing a test. My neck has been over 17 since about 6th grade.

Comment

For sleep apnea. I wonder if the DOT will ever require a standardized physical fitness test for licensure?

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                      This is the first I have heard. Guess Ill see what the doc says when I go in june to get mine.

And sounds like I will be needing a test. My neck has been over 17 since about 6th grade.
                      I've been over 17 inches since HS that I know of. But I've been on CPAP for over 20yrs also. I've just never heard of this before. Thanks guys.

Comment

Yes I have. They are getting really strict with the DOT physicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was sedated for a procedure recently and the nurse mentioned I was a risk for sleep apnea. I asked what she meant and she said neck size. First I heard of that too.

Comment

Man that’s unsettling. I’ve been over 17 also since HS and I wasn’t overweight. Extremely physically active in sports and exercise routine. My dad was a body builder. I’ll be needing a CDL soon.

Comment

Been that away for some time. 3 of the drivers I work with have to get a sleep study every year. They go to the company doctor. I pay for my own D.O.T physical every year because I take mine on a Saturday morning. Haven’t had to take a sleep study ever, never even been asked about getting one.

Comment

Working...
                              X