No announcement yet.

Ladder stand or lock on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used both. I think it depends on the setup. If you can have multiple shooting lanes, then lockon with swivel chair. If only in front of you lane then ladder.

As a big guy I trust ladder stands more. Not sure why but it just feels sturdier.

Comment

I use both.
      For more permanent locations I use a ladder.
      I usually get about 4-5 years out of them in SE Texas before they rust up. I have to remove the cushions at the end of each season or they won’t last but one year.
      Ladders can be a huge pain (and dangerous) to set up on your own.

Lock ons offer more flexibility. I can store them in my garage so they last longer and move them easily from season to season.

Comment

I use both but since I’ve gotten older I use a ladder to access my lock ons instead of screw in steps.

Comment

Depends on the tree for me. Sometimes lock on is easier and sometimes ladder is quicker and easier. Do prefer getting in and out of a ladder versus tree spikes.

Comment

Loc on. Ladders are for pig hunting

Comment

Ladder.

Comment

Both, a ladder and a hang on. And a climber, several pop-ups, ground blind materials, ect. I let the situation dictate what I use.

Comment

i prefer a ladder now, i have used a lock on a lot in my younger days,, but i have never owned or used a climber i have too many friends who were injured when they slipped,,,, but as i have gotten older i found the ladders to be much more to my liking especially the 2 man stands,, and i found out how to put them up pretty easy , even by myself,,, but even at that i prefer having a buddy around when i am in the woods working,,, things do happen

Comment

Ladder are the safer of 2...and faster and easier to set up...But there are so agile monkeys that can put up a loc on up in a flash...I used both lots over the years...

Climber is still my Fav if you got trees that work ...

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                      Ladder are the safer of 2...and faster and easier to set up...But there are so agile monkeys that can put up a loc on up in a flash...I used both lots over the years...

Yep, I can't get away from climbers... just put one up today, after I said I was done with them last year. Missed out on a good deal on one that antlers86 was selling, because I thought I was done with them.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post

Not necessarily. If we’re just going 16’ and starting at the base of tree at same timeI’ll go toe to toe with anyone with my loc on vs ladder.... if we got to go 200 yards plus, I’ll spot ya 30 minutes. Lol

I feel loc ons are safer as well. I’m attached to the tree the whole time vs you got to climb a ladder at least once to get safety apparatus set up. And standing them nightmares up can have a number of issues

I use ladders in permanent locations for hogs and such but they have no use in my deer hunting

Comment

Lock on because i can get higher...

Comment

I like lock ons. They are easier for me to handle by myself, I can climb higher, they are more comfortable. I frequently sit for 6-8 hours a day in Illinois and having lock ons that I feel safe catching a nap in and are comfortable enough nap, allow me to stay put.

Comment

What lock on's do yall like?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ladder stands, two man ones to be exact. As already mentioned, the extra room is nice, adds some comfort and is good for extra gear. We also used to wrap the front and side rails with camo burlap for added concealment. They are also easier to get in and out of imo.

I do agree that ladder stands are more difficult to setup and require the right type of tree; which inherently makes them somewhat permanent type setups for a lot of folks. If flexibility and maneuverability were must haves, I'd go with a lock on.

Comment

Working...
                                X