Corn protein mix question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn protein mix question

Does anybody use a 50/50 mix in their protein feeders and or their spin feeders? Will they still gum up and stop in spin feeders?

I’ve seen it done a few times and they had no problems with the feeder throwing it but it didn’t seem like the deer ate it off the ground. Seems like most of it just got walked into the ground. I wouldn’t do it

Comment

Do not mix protein pellets into a traditional spin feeder, will clog. Corn and soybean would work well.

I run timed protein from ASF with great results.

Comment

Thx for response guys��

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
          Do not mix protein pellets into a traditional spin feeder, will clog. Corn and soybean would work well.
          ^^^^^this. Problem with lots of feeders out is their hole dropping to spinner plate it too small for protein to smoothly drop down on spin feeders. The corn and soybean we do and works great

Comment

I run straight protein in timed feeders 9-months out of the year and mix corn/protein 50/50 the other 3. Never had an issue other than a couple of times in the last 15 years a blowing rain was bad enough it made the protein swell up on spinner plate and stopped protein from being able to keep dropping down on plate. Wiped it off and worked fine.

Comment

Spinner plates can be adjusted up and down to feed protein, mixed protein/corn or whatever. Boss Buck timed feeder works really well. There are other models as well that open when the timer goes off. A lot of protein is wasted on the ground in my experience.

Best option is a timed feeder that has a shield tunnel around the motor. The feed hits the shield and falls down to a trough. Consumption is higher and nothing is wasted on the ground.

If you have gravity feeders yes mixing corn helps. I start mixing around January and then go full protein from now until September then mix corn in again once season starts. My bulk feeders are filled with a bulk supply feed that has crushed corn and protein pellets mixed. Deer love it and eat it year round.

Comment

We have ran corn/protein mix through spin feeders many times with no issues.. Havnig enough corn in the mix and the feed being mixed good is key.. 50/50 will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                X