Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove plot mgmt

I planted some WGF sorghum and browntop millet. It will have alot of weeds in the plot.

When it gets close to the dove opener I think just mowing it would just bury the seeds under all the leaves and stalks. I know they don't like alot of trash on the ground to feed.

I've heard of guys burning the plot to get rid of the "trash" and it will leave the seed on bare ground. Not sure I want to burn it ...but maybe discing a strip next to the plot and then mowing it high will leave a bunch of seeds on bare ground.

What do you guys do to prep it for hunting so the doves can find the seeds?

With brown too. I cut it with a hay mower and left it there.... extra. And baled it. There where seeds everywhere and bare ground. I quit using brown top because it was too much work vs other alternative plants. But the dove loved it, once you make it where they can access it

Comment

I've burned brown top millet fields with good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        I've burned brown top millet fields with good luck.
        Thanks. Did you mow them first or burn them standing?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          With brown too. I cut it with a hay mower and left it there.... extra. And baled it. There where seeds everywhere and bare ground. I quit using brown top because it was too much work vs other alternative plants. But the dove loved it, once you make it where they can access it
          Good to know...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Thanks. Did you mow them first or burn them standing?
            Imowed them first with bush hog. Not sure that was necessary though

Comment

Is it legal to plant these grain producing plants for a dove hunting field?

The real question is, is it legal to hunt these fields?

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
                Is it legal to plant these grain producing plants for a dove hunting field?

The real question is, is it legal to hunt these fields?
                Hunting over a field or food plot that has been manipulated by shredding, burning or windrowing is legal for dove
                hunting but not for waterfowl. For doves, you can do anything to the crop except harvest and redistribute it onto the
                same field.

Pg. 7 from below:

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Hunting over a field or food plot that has been manipulated by shredding, burning or windrowing is legal for dove
                  hunting but not for waterfowl. For doves, you can do anything to the crop except harvest and redistribute it onto the
                  same field.

Pg. 7 from below:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...ment_texas.pdf
                  Thank you for this. I never planted any because I thought it was illegal. Things will be changing at the farm.

Thanks again

Comment

I’d burn it standing or cut it and bale with an old wire baler. I have had insanely good hunts over both.

Comment

Ok...got a decent stand of browntop millet (along with some Johnson Grass). We are 4 weeks out from the opener.....what should my steps be from here?

My county is in a burn ban so can't burn it.

Should I kill it with Gly and then shred and disc....or is spraying or discing necessary?

Some seeds are starting to shatter very easily from the stalk. I just want them to have as clean a seedbed as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

OK just watched a cool video of a guy that mows his millet with his shredder. Then he comes back in with a zero-turn and mows it short in strips and it blows the fluff away and leaves all the seed exposed on pretty bare ground. He says he has tons of doves. Gonna try that.

Comment

Please keep us posted with how it works - good luck!

Comment

Let us know how you do please

Comment

Mowing the millet plot after shredding it worked great. Tons of seeds exposed. Before and after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X