Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-21-2020, 04:12 AM   #1
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan
Default Barrel Break-in

I have an browning x-bolt 7mm-08, havenít taken it to the range yet to zero it. Should I break the barrel in first according browning suggestions or not bother.....getting mixed reviews to definitely do it or itís a waste of time and ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
Wayspr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Going to get all kinds of answers on this one. I normally follow some sort of breakin process, not sure if it really helps though. Most importantly, if you're going to be cleaning alot, use the right tools. A good one piece rod and bore guide are essential in my opinion.
Wayspr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
BigOh!
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado & Lavaca Co. / McCurtain Co. OK

I've really never wasted the ammo..
And I've got 30 year old Rifles still doing the same thing
Every year.. But im sure I'm wrong lol
Get it zeroed and roll IMO.. I doubt most people shoot enough to notice a diff..

Last edited by BigOh!; 11-21-2020 at 07:22 AM.
BigOh! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
blfx4
Six Point

Hunt In: atascosa county

Iím no expert by any means, but I have done per manufacture recommended break in and the rifle shot well. I have also mounted a scope and fired a few rounds to sight in a new rifle and the rifle shot well. Shooting just plain factory ammo I donít know if there is going to be a huge difference in accuracy. I will say the break in cleaning procedure does help with future cleanings, to remove copper fouling. Then again that is after a lot of rounds. Take your standard hunting rifle, probably wouldnít make any difference.
blfx4 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
mww982
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayspr View Post
Going to get all kinds of answers on this one. I normally follow some sort of breakin process, not sure if it really helps though. Most importantly, if you're going to be cleaning alot, use the right tools. A good one piece rod and bore guide are essential in my opinion.

Iíve got a couple of one piece rods, jags, nylon brushes and a bore guide. This is my first non cheap rifle and was just curious if the break in will make a difference or not. The manual for the xbolt doesnít mention break in but the website does. Itís shoot 1 and clean for 10 rounds. Shoot 2, then clean for 5 cycles.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #6
Tyrex750
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

I have never broke in a barrel, on my 06 i just sighted it in and kept on truckin and its a tack driver. Did the same thing with the 6.5 also
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
HTOWN
Six Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

The answer is yes. Regardless if it "actualy" works or not, you'll feel better knowing that you did. All you'll be out is a few rounds and time.

Get to swabbing n cleaning I've done a few of mine. Some I haven't.
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nockenut, Texas

When you start paying 400-800 for a match barrel, you should pay attention to what the barrel maker recommends. Most makers have some sort of break in process, and they formed that from their experience. Whether they know what they are talking about or not, is for you to decide.

If you do not have the proper knowledge or equipment to clean a barrel, just shoot the dang thing and dont worry about it. Just dont get it too hot. Shoving a Walmart 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod down a barrel with a bronze brush probably wont do you any favors.

My impression for barrel break in, is not so much for the barrel itself as it is for the burnishing of the chamber throat and leade to remove any roughness left over from reaming. Usually copper fouling starts just ahead of the chamber not the muzzle end.

I bought a bore scope a few years ago and have looked at quite a few barrels. To be quite honest with y'all, a Savage barrel looks like they cut it with a chainsaw but they shoot good. So there is that.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Honestly a shoot once clean shoot once clean shoot a few times and clean then 5 shot group clean and sight in you should be good. Goal is to lay some copper in the micro imperfections and not as much carbon.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
mww982
Eight Point

Itís not about knowing how to clean a barrel or not having the proper equipment. Have all what I need to do it, just trying to figure out if it is necessary as all the recommendations are all over the place.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
TenRing
Nubbin' Buck

I load my own and personally I do at least a 20 shot "break in"....especially if it's a production rifle. No matter what though...I wouldn't get frustrated or excited with accuracy until you have ~50-100 rounds down the barrel. As it is shot in...it's going to speed up so your POI will be changing until it settles. If you have access to a chronograph, I would use that as well to compare with published velocities. This will tell you a little bit of where it is at with break in as well
TenRing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have never used a bore guide in my life. I use brass, 3 piece rods as well. I also will use brass brushes on occasion as well. I find it a little funny that some guys say to never use a brass brush while others will say to use Flitz in your barrel.
Mostly I use patches and a brass jeg with my brass rod and no bore guide. Have never had an issue but there are a lot of ways to skin that cat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #13
SRK14
Six Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

I think the most important thing is to clean it thoroughly before firing it. On a new rifle Iíll shoot about 10 rounds then clean it. After that I treat it as if itís ready to go. I pretty well use a bore snake exclusively now.
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
TenRing
Nubbin' Buck

Also, check out Sam Miller's video at Panhandle Precision...he does a good one on barrel cleaning and break in.
TenRing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #15
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I always break in a barrel and normally use the gunmakers recommendation but I do have a go to. Whenever I break in a barrel, I see the results. The first few shots I get a ton of carbon and the barrel takes a while to clean after 10-12 shots the barrel cleans so fast. Maybe its a waste of time, maybe not. There is no way I’d pick up a brand new rifle and run 10 through it and clean with a cheap bore snake. For each their own. I also would never even think about cleaning a bolt gun without a guide. Years of small little impacts in the chamber will eventually cause accuracy issues.

My break in is normally 1 box and takes about 3 hours. After that, I wont clean the rifle again for another 400-500 rounds. I prefer to safe the rifle just like it left the range. POI should be the same. I will admit, I’m very ridiculous with gear and rifle care.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top