No announcement yet.

Spine Surgeon Dr. Mohr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all excellent advice. I have been down the road for a long time. I have put off surgery with most of the items covered since 2010, then again in 2015. My back has gone downhill since then to the point even I can see the issues on the compared MRI's and X-Rays from 2010/2015.

I have been hoping the technology would continue to advance and I could wait until more proven, long-term methods are available. However, at this point, I would almost consider fusion, it has gotten that bad. I have nerve impingement at all three levels, both sides and canal at L4/L5, and those cause severe pain.

I have other issues that show on my MRI (Cervical and Thorasic) but interestingly zero pain there.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
      This is all excellent advice. I have been down the road for a long time. I have put off surgery with most of the items covered since 2010, then again in 2015. My back has gone downhill since then to the point even I can see the issues on the compared MRI's and X-Rays from 2010/2015.

I have been hoping the technology would continue to advance and I could wait until more proven, long-term methods are available. However, at this point, I would almost consider fusion, it has gotten that bad. I have nerve impingement at all three levels, both sides and canal at L4/L5, and those cause severe pain.

I have other issues that show on my MRI (Cervical and Thorasic) but interestingly zero pain there.
      Get the book, I'm telling you right now I wish I would have been given this years ago. I have the spine of a 90 year old according to my doc and following the book has helped me tremendously.

I can tell you this, you have not done enough yet.

It has been life changing.

Comment

I just ordered the book mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          Get the book, I'm telling you right now I wish I would have been given this years ago. I have the spine of a 90 year old according to my doc and following the book has helped me tremendously.

I can tell you this, you have not done enough yet.

It has been life changing.
          I will order the book. I set the surgery out far enough to give me time to digest options not only from other Dr's but exactly this kind of information. I have never felt like it was a great idea to discuss this on an internet forum but I do value the opinion of many of you. I know that we all share similar passions and this type of spinal surgery can/will impact that, short term, and from what the Dr. told me, I will need additional surgery in the future.

When you talk about the 'nerve study' can you elaborate a touch? I have had a diskogram in 2015, and that I would consider barbaric and would not have my worst enemy go through. On the other hand, I have had NCV which was a conductivity thing as I recall, it was a while ago so any results from that are probably not valid at this point.

Comment

When you talk about the 'nerve study' can you elaborate a touch? I have had a diskogram in 2015, and that I would consider barbaric and would not have my worst enemy go through. On the other hand, I have had NCV which was a conductivity thing as I recall, it was a while ago so any results from that are probably not valid at this point.
            I had the diskogram done before my fusion surgery. Barbaric is putting it mildly. A coworkers son is an MD and he had asked his son about it. His boy said that it's the one test no one likes to order as it's probably the most painful thing you can experience. He's right. I was screaming and almost passed out during the test. And I have a very high pain tolerance. When I walked out, my daughter was genuinely scared ghost white. She knew it was me screaming, could hear me in the waiting room. The receptionist could only apologize to her and kept saying "everyone here hates performing that test".

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
              I had the diskogram done before my fusion surgery. Barbaric is putting it mildly. A coworkers son is an MD and he had asked his son about it. His boy said that it's the one test no one likes to order as it's probably the most painful thing you can experience. He's right. I was screaming and almost passed out during the test. And I have a very high pain tolerance. When I walked out, my daughter was genuinely scared ghost white. She knew it was me screaming, could hear me in the waiting room. The receptionist could only apologize to her and kept saying "everyone here hates performing that test".

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
              Yessir, that is how I describe it.. Exactly.

Comment

I know the original post says input on the Dr you have in mind but I had two discs replaced in my neck and a current appointment scheduled for lower back surgery and I am using Dr Leahy in Tomball. Super great Dr if you need a second opinion or a green screen approval. Also good luck with your procedure!

Comment

Originally posted by Ladder034 View Post
                  I know the original post says input on the Dr you have in mind but I had two discs replaced in my neck and a current appointment scheduled for lower back surgery and I am using Dr Leahy in Tomball. Super great Dr if you need a second opinion or a green screen approval. Also good luck with your procedure!
                  I do have an appointment with Dr. Leahy it has just been really hard to get into his office. I have been on the waiting list and my appointment is still a month out.

Comment

I will order the book. I set the surgery out far enough to give me time to digest options not only from other Dr's but exactly this kind of information. I have never felt like it was a great idea to discuss this on an internet forum but I do value the opinion of many of you. I know that we all share similar passions and this type of spinal surgery can/will impact that, short term, and from what the Dr. told me, I will need additional surgery in the future.

The nerve study, or EMG, will help to find which nerves are impacted and at what level. My MRI showed severe stenosis at L3 and L$, they did laminectomy on L$, afterwards I still had the same pain. The nerve study proved that the stenosis at L3 was not causing my pain, so no need for another laminectomy.

Turns out the facet joints were irritated and inflamed, so I did steroid injections and then ablation of those nerves, but only minor pain reduction. So a friend bought me that book I recommended and I have had a significant improvement.

All the time the pain was preventing me from moving and working out like I want and my core strength deteriorated and I started moving in ways that was causing me more pain. The book teaches you how to tighten up your core adn find the movements that are causing "micro-injuries" and once you stop those movement s you can start healing.

Then he has you do three exercises each day that help to rebuild the basic core strength you need to prevent further injury.

Comment

I do have an appointment with Dr. Leahy it has just been really hard to get into his office. I have been on the waiting list and my appointment is still a month out.

I actually had back injections today. Currently at home relaxing. Dr jones did the injections and it was at the surgery center where Dr Leahy office is. Went super good just a little tightness down there. I like that Leahy doesn’t go straight to a fusion and wants to try different things.

Comment

Have any of you guys been referred out to physical therapy prior to surgery? If so, how did you feel afterwards?

I’m a physical therapist down in South Texas and feel like surgeons are a bit too quick to operate sometimes. We’ve had a few patients with severe herniations notice relief within a few short months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                          Have any of you guys been referred out to physical therapy prior to surgery? If so, how did you feel afterwards?

I’m a physical therapist down in South Texas and feel like surgeons are a bit too quick to operate sometimes. We’ve had a few patients with severe herniations notice relief within a few short months.

I did PT for a few months prior to my surgery. Zero relief whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            I did PT for a few months prior to my surgery. Zero relief whatsoever.

That’s a shame. Did they do a lot of passive modalities (massage, ice, heat, electrical stimulation, etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                              That’s a shame. Did they do a lot of passive modalities (massage, ice, heat, electrical stimulation, etc)?

A little massage at times is all in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                A little massage at times is all in that regard.

As long as postural correction and hip/core strengthening were the emphasis of treatment you were in ok hands. Bummed you didn’t get any relief. If the issue was somewhat chronic that’s already a bit tougher to address.

The sooner the better!

Comment

Working...
                                X