Utility Trailer Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility Trailer Advice

I am looking to buy. 18-22 ft bumper pull trailer in order to haul a 55hp tractor I purchased. I usually buy used but I have not come across anything I felt was worth a look. Shopping for a new trailer is overwhelming to say the least. Prices range from $3500 to $5500 for what seems to be the same trailer. I had a PJ a while back and it held up well but is quite a bit more than some of the other value brands. Does anyone have advice on brands to avoid, dealers with best pricing, brands that have been great? I am looking for 5,200# axels hoping to save a few bucks over the 7,000# and being that I have a half ton pickup.

If anyone has are used trailer that fits the bill please let me know.

Comment

I recently purchase a new Lamar from Westin Trailers in Sweetwater. 7k lb axles, drop foot 10k on jack, adjustable coupler.....everything that you can get on this type of trailer. I was able to get a great price on a 2019 that they still had in stock. They were great to work with and the trailer has been beyond legit.

Comment

I have a used 77" x 18' pipe top with 2-7k axles. sending a PM

Comment

I have a PJ trailer and they are very well built. If I were going to be hauling a tractor, an economy trailer is not what I would be looking at.

I think a lot of those trailer manufacturers are based down there in east Texas and when I was living down there Big Tex seemed to be one that was around a lot.

Comment

My advice is go with as long as you can afford. I have a 57 horse and have a 20 footer. With the shredder and bucket, it hangs off more than I’m comfortable with hauling.

Comment

You will be better off with a 24’. Like stated above if you have an implement attached it will hang off the back if not

You will have to put air bags on your truck more than likely to compensate for the weight
              Last edited by aggie2000tx; 07-03-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I think it is very important to consider that you have a half-ton truck as well. It is possible to be stopped and be ticketed for an under sized tow vehicle. Check the max towing capacity of your truck. There is a weight limit on trailers when getting them registered that might require breaks and inspection. I have a small "boomer" tractor (30HP) and it does not exceed the weight limit of my >5K lb registered trailer and I'm not required brakes or inspection. Breaks are great to have though and can be a life saver.
                Big Tex and Texas Bragg are some popular brands around west Texas. GLUCK

Comment

I like my Texas Bragg 18' for the way it pulls. I don't like the ramps, nothing I drive on, tractor or Polaris ranger, really fit the ramps. Any one know a good place between Kerrville and Boerne to have a gate installed instead of ramps? For the OP, I have a small Mahindra and with the front end loader and mower attachment on the back the 18' is filled end to end. I'd go a little bigger if buying again.
                  Last edited by 1riot1ranger; 07-03-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Utility or equipment hauler? I believe Truck is rated for 11k#, a 24’ may be a better option but I am having trouble finding many. I also need 84” width to fit. Tractor and loader weigh 6800#. Thanks for all of the advice, keep it coming.

Comment

Trailers are in short supply right now. The MFG are behind and inventory is virtually non existent right now. The last order I placed had October/November delivery. I have a bumper pull PJ P8 with 3x3 square tube top rail, slide in ramps,2-7k axles with brakes, 24'(22'+2' dovetail) on my yard if you want to look at it. I have 16.18.20.24 in the P8 model.

Comment

I’ve got a 16, 20, 24 and 32ft 16 for buggy’s and 24 for tractor I’ve got 65hp tractor like already said with loader and cutter it hangs off 24 some. A lot of cheap trailers out there. PJ big Tex, Tex Bragg, load trail, diamond c are all respectable trailers. I’m with others buy longer than you think you need and I’d stick with 7k axles 14ply tires and don’t look back! Also get under trailer and look at paint under trailer. Some aren’t event painted. Also look at wiring for brakes and lights. Some do very crappy work on final assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                          Trailers are in short supply right now. The MFG are behind and inventory is virtually non existent right now. The last order I placed had October/November delivery. I have a bumper pull PJ P8 with 3x3 square tube top rail, slide in ramps,2-7k axles with brakes, 24'(22'+2' dovetail) on my yard if you want to look at it. I have 16.18.20.24 in the P8 model.
                          I am headed into corpus this morning, I will swing by and take a peek! I will give you a call Monday after the holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                            I am headed into corpus this morning, I will swing by and take a peek! I will give you a call Monday after the holiday!
                            We are open but I will be out Monday, back on Tuesday. If you find something you like call/text me at number I sent in the PM.

Comment

I purchased a 22’ PJ trailer with 5200lb axles to haul my 50 hp tractor. If I had it to do over again I would buy a 14k rated 24’ trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X