Transmission Drain & Flush or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Drain & Flush or No?

2014 Frontier V6 automatic, 100k. Opinions seem split on drain & refill or just leave it alone. (Not considering a full flush, just drain and refill which would be ~1/4 total volume).

What says the Green Screen?

Normal maintenance right? Why would not? I could see nothing bad for doing this. Does it have a filter also?

Comment

About to flush a 4r100 on my f250 this week. Takes 20 quarts for a full flush. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Drop the pan. Clean with brake cleaner. Install a new filter. And fill with the correct fluid. Do not add any crazy additives. No RTV on the pan gasket. Tighten the pan in a criss cross pattern a little at a time. If you have a torque wrench use it at spec.

Comment

leave it alone! flushing after that long creates problems you didn't have

Comment

If you do anything just drain and replace filter and fluid. Don't flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 96 Chevy 1/2 ton..... you do what you want...……..
              I ain't had any trouble out of it..... So, I'm leaving it alone....
              Check the fluid occasionally…..

Comment

Drain and refill

Comment

Drain and flush. I spent $3500 for a rebuild on a FJ Cruiser tranny. The shop owner said that a flush and new fluid probably would have prevented that expense. I talked to him about the cost for him to do it and I thought that it was reasonable. It isn't a difficult thing to do, but it is not exactly the kind of job that a guy wants to do in town in the driveway. You are wasting your time doing the dump and refill.

Comment

My 2010 Frontier has 204K miles on it. I drain and refill every 60K miles and never had a problem.

Comment

everytime I've ever flushed a transmission I had problems with it . I'd run it until it starts acting up then mess with it..

Comment

I’ve always done the drain, clean pan up with engine cleaner, change filter/gasket and refill job. Never has it been a waste of time. Hell its been recommended by my mechanic over the flush.

I’ve always heard bad things about a full flush on a higher mileage transmission that hasn’t had regular maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          I’ve always done the drain, clean pan up with engine cleaner, change filter/gasket and refill job. Never has it been a waste of time. Hell its been recommended by my mechanic over the flush.

I’ve always heard bad things about a full flush on a higher mileage transmission that hasn’t had regular maintenance.
                          What he said^^^

I’ve dropped the pan and done it myself on my Silverado’s every 60-70k miles, and had good luck.

Or you could do what my brother does and say heck with it, never change a thing on them and drive it until it quits on you....he usually gets as much or more out of his trucks as I have, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                            Drain and flush. I spent $3500 for a rebuild on a FJ Cruiser tranny. The shop owner said that a flush and new fluid probably would have prevented that expense. I talked to him about the cost for him to do it and I thought that it was reasonable. It isn't a difficult thing to do, but it is not exactly the kind of job that a guy wants to do in town in the driveway. You are wasting your time doing the dump and refill.
                            World standard TF?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you know the maintenance history? If it’s been flushed at regular intervals I’d go ahead and do the flush, otherwise drain and fill.

Comment

Working...
                              X