Do deer eat meat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do deer eat meat ?

I was suprised to find a few YouTube videos of deer eating meat. Everything from gut piles to live birds to live fish to human remains.
    Any experiences you can share ?

Yes! Also my flowers!

Comment

Look @ their teeth. Deer are herbivores but I guess they may eat meat. Probably not by choice, as-in not their first choice. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Comment

they eat quail eggs

Comment

I watched a young buck chew the heck out of an animal's old femur bone one cold morning while bow hunting. He left gnaw marks all over that thing.

Comment

Squirrels have been known to chew bones, antlers and even small animals (like frogs) to fill a need for calcium. Maybe something similar going on?

Comment

Axis at my place chew on every bone and shed we have laying around

Comment

Check this out

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PrH46p1I3UA"]Deer Like Meat.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

And this

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk"]deer eating a bird - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Yes. I’ve seen them eat birds and even venison

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, I've seen them eat lizard, and pictures of them eating small birds. Never seen them at a gut pile before (I put them out to hunt predators over)

There was an interesting discussion on here a while back about one eating a bone (which also linked a university study article about them doing this more frequently than we realize as an effort to get more calcium)

Comment

Yup. Many herbivores eat some meat at times to supplement their diets for essential vitamins and minerals.

Comment

Yep. Saw a big ten eat a piece of fajita at Choke canyon state park once.

Comment

Originally posted by Fcap60 View Post
                              Bet it's the salt

Comment

Working...
                              X