Screwing into grout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwing into grout

Hey all, I’ve searched the interwebs and haven’t come up with a sufficient answer on this. The GS always seems to have the answer so I figured I’d throw it out there.

Our new place has a tile backsplash and I want to install the magnetic knife bar that I have. It only takes two screws so maybe I’m making it more complicated than it should be. I’d like to screw into the grout instead of the tile because I figure grout is a lot easier to fix if we move again.

I can find plenty about screwing into tile but nothing about screwing into grout. Should I use masonry screws? Should I use regular screws with anchors?

I’d use plastic anchors and screws. Make sure to not drill the holes bigger than you need. Should have to tap anchors in with a hammer.

Comment

Drill slow and straight with a sharp masonry bit, and you should be fine. I've done it several times that way. Just take your time and don't use the hammer function on your drill if it has that. It shouldn't chip the grout, but if it does chip a piece of grout out, buy a tube of siliconized grout from your local big box hardware store in the same color as your grout to patch it with.

Comment

You can always add a little dab of glue to keep the screws from loosening up over time. Just make sure you put it where you want it and plan to keep it there a long time

Comment

Regular screws with anchors might be fine. Anchor at least one screw into a stud if possible...drill a pilot hole into the stud. Consider...regular screws arent meant for a shearing loads (loads perpendicular to screw shaft)...so if your gonna have a big bar and alot of knife weight consider using stainless lag screws...one into stud and other into drywall anchor...at minimum. Anchor both into studs preferably...even if you have to create your own hole in the magnetic bar.

Good luck MetalMan.

Comment

Why don’t you remove the grout from where you’re going to have the bar? Will you be able to see behind it?

Comment

Or if you can drill a big enough hole to fit a 1/4" toggle bolt through, that would be the best solution if you can't find a stud to screw it in to. The magnetic bar should cover the hole.

Comment

Just make sure to get a couple extra toggle bolts for when you accidentally lose one of the toggles down into the wall. Not if, but when it happens...

Comment

Originally posted by TannaciousZ View Post
                  Just make sure to get a couple extra toggle bolts for when you accidentally lose one of the toggles down into the wall. Not if, but when it happens...
                  One to lose and one to use...if you’re lucky.

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. I did some wall tapping to look for studs but no luck. I have 2 options for walls to Mount it to and they are both rather narrow. One wall is only 2.5-3’ wide so the studs are on the edges. On the other wall I know they’re in there somewhere but I couldn’t hear them.

In my mind I was thinking its just a few knives, not a lot of weight so I put them all on the scale with the magnet bar and its 4 lbs exactly.

Comment

You shouldn’t have any problems screwing into the grout and using an anchor. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to use a toggle bolt.

Comment

I've done this a lot. A quality anchor will do the trick. I'm guessing the grout line is narrower than the anchor so you will need to drill into the edges of the tile a bit. If this is the case, make sure you use a bit designed for tile, these can be found at most home improvement stores.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                          Thanks for all the advise. I did some wall tapping to look for studs but no luck. I have 2 options for walls to Mount it to and they are both rather narrow. One wall is only 2.5-3’ wide so the studs are on the edges. On the other wall I know they’re in there somewhere but I couldn’t hear them.

In my mind I was thinking its just a few knives, not a lot of weight so I put them all on the scale with the magnet bar and its 4 lbs exactly.
                          Drill a small pilot hole. Put super glue on screw. Drive it in. It'll stay put

Comment

How heavy are your knives?

Comment

How big are the grout lines, what kind of tile are you dealing with and lastly, why does it need to be in the grout line?

Comment

Working...
                              X