Van Zandt County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van Zandt County

Anybody hunting Van Zandt County this year? I have seen 6 deer since bow season. Hoping that'll change tomorrow-Sunday!

It can always be difficult or strange hunting in VZ. I've seen hard core rutting in Oct., then 2nd rut in Nov which most think is the first rut. Some years its different. However, there haven't been near as many deer hit on the roads this year. I know the numbers are still there, but for whatever reason the movement or rut has been strange.

Comment

And for the nay sayers about the Oct rut, yes I have proof. My buddy lives on the Sabine bottom, feeds year around, and knows when the fawns are born. Its pretty simple math to figure out when the does were bred.
      Another buddy works for TxDot and his crew is responsible for picking up road kill deer. He calls me every year and says "get in the woods, they're rutting/chasing heavy!"

Comment

Thx! Definately different this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
          And for the nay sayers about the Oct rut, yes I have proof. My buddy lives on the Sabine bottom, feeds year around, and knows when the fawns are born. Its pretty simple math to figure out when the does were bred.
          Another buddy works for TxDot and his crew is responsible for picking up road kill deer. He calls me every year and says "get in the woods, they're rutting/chasing heavy!"

What does you buddy do with the horns?

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
            It can always be difficult or strange hunting in VZ. I've seen hard core rutting in Oct., then 2nd rut in Nov which most think is the first rut. Some years its different. However, there haven't been near as many deer hit on the roads this year. I know the numbers are still there, but for whatever reason the movement or rut has been strange.
            Same thing in my area of Henderson County. Week of Halloween is full blown rut. Dies off first week of general season. November 18-Thanksgiving i(right now) is full blown again and then just before or around Christmas.

Comment

I see deer in Wills Point every day. Some are resident but we see a lot of different ones from the last week of October through Thanksgiving. I saw a 150 class on opening weekend right behind my house. Never seen him before or on Camera. My wife jokes with me that I dont see what I want to shoot at the lease but see better deer behind our house! I dont think its that funny! haha

Comment

i Hunt in Smith County and it has been a difficult season so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooter80 View Post
                  What does you buddy do with the horns?
                  They have a big hole dug by the maintenance shop, they pile them in there and bury them. They're not supposed to remove antlers but Im sure its happened before lol. But he said that probably 80% of the time someone has already cut the head off.

Comment

We're in eastern Kaufman county. Lots of activity yesterday. My son shot an awesome 8 point. He was beat up and had fresh gashes from front to back from fighting.
                    Today, nothing.... That's the way it goes here. We may go days/weeks with nothing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                      I see deer in Wills Point every day. Some are resident but we see a lot of different ones from the last week of October through Thanksgiving. I saw a 150 class on opening weekend right behind my house. Never seen him before or on Camera. My wife jokes with me that I dont see what I want to shoot at the lease but see better deer behind our house! I dont think its that funny! haha
                      So true. I see more deer around the house than at lease.

Comment

Working...
                      X