Pigs-guess their weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeathJohnson View Post
    Just curious. I have heard the bigger the pig the worse they taste, is that true? Are y'all eating them? I ask because last year I brought a big ol pig to my laborers and they loved it. They are asking for another one at the year end party this year. I am just not sure if I want to gut another pig.
    People that say that never have ate one. Someone told them that and they took it as gospel. I eat every pig we kill 275# to 25# doesn’t matter. All have tasted great

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
      People that say that never have ate one. Someone told them that and they took it as gospel. I eat every pig we kill 275# to 25# doesn’t matter. All have tasted great
      Awesome! I would have loved to try it last year, they took it home on a Friday and I never saw any of it so its a part of bitterness from me but I hear great things. I am very curious

Comment

This is not true. I have tried them all. The larger sows are good. The boars IMO depends on which area of the State you shoot them in.

I have Uncles that eat nearly anything. But even they said the 150 pound boar was not good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          This is not true. I have tried them all. The larger sows are good. The boars IMO depends on which area of the State you shoot them in.

I have Uncles that eat nearly anything. But even they said the 150 pound boar was not good at all.
          I’m glad your uncle can tell me what tastes good for me and my family. I know how to cook and every pig I’ve ever ate has been good.

Comment

I’m glad your uncle can tell me what tastes good for me and my family. I know how to cook and every pig I’ve ever ate has been good.
            Ok. It's a fact, not opinion, that big hogs in a lot of areas have a strong game taste. If you can't taste it then that's great for you.

I never tell people to not try the meat BTW. It all depends on the area you live in. Have you eaten pigs from all over Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Ok. It's a fact, not opinion, that big hogs in a lot of areas have a strong game taste. If you can't taste it then that's great for you.

I never tell people to not try the meat BTW. It all depends on the area you live in. Have you eaten pigs from all over Texas?
              Texas is a pretty big state so no I have not ate a pig from every county.

A rutted up old buck can be tough to consume also. You don’t cook the big ones the same as the small ones. I’m not going to get into a pissing contest with you since you are stating “facts”
              Last edited by The Insurance Guy; 11-21-2018, 08:36 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by HeathJohnson View Post
                Just curious. I have heard the bigger the pig the worse they taste, is that true? Are y'all eating them? I ask because last year I brought a big ol pig to my laborers and they loved it. They are asking for another one at the year end party this year. I am just not sure if I want to gut another pig.
                Not eating these

Comment

Texas is a pretty big state so no I have not ate a pig from every county.

A rutted up old buck can be tough to consume also. You don’t cook the big ones the same as the small ones. I’m not going to get into a pissing contest with you since you are stating “facts”
                  Seems to me we are stating the same facts. That bigger pigs taste different..Unless you're cooking them different for another reason.

Comment

Not a fan of eating a big boar either (150+) and I’ve had em all

Comment

Where can i get a camo Whataburger hat?

Comment

I think you need to calibrate your scales. I don’t see a 275lbs pig at all

Comment

We shot a deer today and weighed it before taking it to the processor, it was within 2 lbs of what the processor had it at. Are scale was 2 lbs lighter than what processor had it at. It is accurate.

Comment

As to the discussion of big pigs not being good to eat, I only have a limited amount of experience here, but I think it depends on the pig. I had a 230# boar that had no gamey flavor at all, I had a 160# boar that made the entire house smell like urine, the dogs didn't even like it. These 2 pigs came from the same county, and were shot at the same feeder. I've read where some guys grab a small piece and cook it immediately, if it stinks, toss it. Also had a friend take a 260# boar from the same property, he had it processed, and it tasted great.

Comment

Working...
                            X