Boat ownership costs per month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat ownership costs per month?

Hey there, TBH. I'm not in the market for a boat, but I can see the look in my wife's eyes...she won't be able to say no to our new son Nolan when he has the passion of fishing that his father instills in him. Otherwise known as I'm using my son to get a bass boat in about 5 years

So I'm in the "research" phase right now...planning on how we can make it happen. I see myself going 1 or 2 ways... 1) bass boat to be used on lakes, or, 2) thinking some type of skiff or bay boat that would primarily be used on lakes, but if I could go to the coast 2-3 times a year, we could manage. Advice on this decision is welcomed.

Main question... All I can think of outside of maintenance, gas, etc is storage fees and insurance. Is there any other monthly set fee that I'm forgetting? And how much should I expect to pay per month just to have a boat? I'm simple and would just want a place near the house, not necessarily a marina. I'd prefer to work on it myself also. Not going to break the bank on it either...it'd be a used boat for sure, maybe 10-15 years old. Thanks!

I pay $115/mo for storage at a nice place, secure gates, concrete driveways, wash down station, etc. Insurance runs me about $40/mo. Trailer tags and boat registration are minor, but still a cost.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      Hey there, TBH. I'm not in the market for a boat, but I can see the look in my wife's eyes...she won't be able to say no to our new son Nolan when he has the passion of fishing that his father instills in him. Otherwise known as I'm using my son to get a bass boat in about 5 years

So I'm in the "research" phase right now...planning on how we can make it happen. I see myself going 1 or 2 ways... 1) bass boat to be used on lakes, or, 2) thinking some type of skiff or bay boat that would primarily be used on lakes, but if I could go to the coast 2-3 times a year, we could manage. Advice on this decision is welcomed.

Main question... All I can think of outside of maintenance, gas, etc is storage fees and insurance. Is there any other monthly set fee that I'm forgetting? And how much should I expect to pay per month just to have a boat? I'm simple and would just want a place near the house, not necessarily a marina. I'd prefer to work on it myself also. Not going to break the bank on it either...it'd be a used boat for sure, maybe 10-15 years old. Thanks!
      Aside from what you mentioned, if you take care of your boat there’s not a lot of money to upkeep one. I just always have a wiring problem with mine. Rewired it and I must not have used the correct wire because I’m always chasing a wiring problem. Never have any mechanical issues, always wiring for me. I know the salt is hell on anything so I’m thinking about taking my boat to a boat shop and having it professionally re wired and be done.

Comment

Since you’ll be looking at well used, whatever you have budgeted for maintenance, quadruple it.

Dad bought a Bayhawk in the late 80’s for coastal fishing, it did a lot of that, but that type of boat also served well on the lake for fishing and skiing/tubing. Don’t think our skiffs today would fair as well on the lake.

Comment

In before the break out another thousand mercury owners

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
            I pay $115/mo for storage at a nice place, secure gates, concrete driveways, wash down station, etc. Insurance runs me about $40/mo. Trailer tags and boat registration are minor, but still a cost.

Don't shoot

OP, you could pay for a lot of college one day by sinking this into a fund rather than a boat.

Comment

You want your wife to agree to this boat proposal? Stop digging into costs. Now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Give you props planning 5 years from now to own a boat.

Comment

Batteries (3), Tires (4), Boat Cover, Oil, Gas for boat, and also Tow Vehicle Gas, Fish Finders, Carpet, Latches, Bunkboards, Fender wells, etc. I do all of my own repairs and maintenace which keeps the cost down but if you use your boat regularly and keep it up things are less prone to deterioration.

Comment

I'm sure you have seen the BOAT (break out another thousand), and a hole in the water to throw money into, so I won't repeat those (yet I did).

maintenance, Used boat, on a budget, there will be a lot of fixin, did I say a lot? Batteries, valves, updated electronics, seats, carpet, trailer bearings/seals/tires, you name it. Add in a tuneup, water pumps, lower oil, etc, over an extended period of time. Winterizing, here in the DFW area you need to do some winterizing. There is a lot of maintenance you will need to do, batteries, etc.

gas, next to the least of my worries, a commodity, not a one time purchase, don't overlook the cost of oil and fuel treatment. I'm not aware of any non alcohol fuel in the FTW area.

storage fees and insurance- least of my worries, its a fixed cost. The boat trailer will needs tags every year, the boat will need a new registration every two years.

Yes, expenses, but it's worth it in my opinion.

Comment

They will only go up in price in the next 5 years.

I have a mercury pro XS and it runs like a dream.

I also have a flats boat that is a cat hull and it will be on Lake Conroe and Livingston this spring and summer along with East and west matagorda.

Get a boat that can go both salt and fresh, bass boats limit you too much.

I don’t pay for storage, and my insurance is $480 a year.

I have a boat note and a 4 stroke motor requires roughly one oil Change a year.

Comment

I've had more boats than cars/trucks. (so my wife claims)

Buying used, especially several years old, pay to have a trustworthy marine mechanic check out any considerations you run across. It will rule out lemons and getting someone else's neglected or beat to h*** POS and save you $ in the long run. Make sure they do the engine, steering, electronics, tilt/trim, transom, batteries, trolling motor, wiring, and flooring for weak areas. As far as "monthly" bills, that depends on storage fee, insurance, and how much you use it (gas & oil). You already have something to safely tow it? Don't try and tow a bass boat with a Prius!

Comment

I own the boat but pay @300 for a slip at canyon lake, 1 year contract. Had to buy my own float for the boat...@9000.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            Don't shoot

OP, you could pay for a lot of college one day by sinking this into a fund rather than a boat.
                            529 is already set up and he should have 3 years paid for based on our research. This was on purpose - we wanted him to have some ownership in his education.

I appreciate the consideration though!

Comment

My boat hull is 21 years old

Outboard is a 2015

Total repair and maintenance last year was $4600

Plus fuel, insurance, and storage.

Storage -$1650/year

I fish about 25 weekends a year

Fuel each weekend $50-$100

Not sure on insurance

Comment