Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Congressmen be charged with insider trading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Congressmen be charged with insider trading?

Assuming that this story is legit, I’ve not backtracked this to confirm. Should a Congressional member be charged with insider trading when they use foreknowledge of a disaster or change in legislation that impacts the market?

Sen. Kelly Loeffler Dumped Millions in Stock After Coronavirus Briefing

TRADE IN
    Lachlan Markay
    William Bredderman
    Sam Brodey
    Updated Mar. 19, 2020 9:38PM ET
    Published Mar. 19, 2020 8:49PM ET
    EXCLUSIVE
    The Senate’s newest member sold off seven figures worth of stock holdings in the days and weeks after a private, all-senators meeting on the novel coronavirus that subsequently hammered U.S. equities.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus.

Yep

Comment

Yes

Comment

Yes very illegal

My father is a licensed equity trader and I have lost out on both opportunities to buy and protect my account do to SEC and FTC laws and the stock act

“”current United States Senate Select Committee on Ethics, "A member, officer, or employee of the Senate shall not receive any compensation, nor shall he permit any compensation to accrue to his beneficial interest from any source, the receipt or accrual of which would occur by virtue of influence improperly exerted from his position as a member, officer, or employee."[5””
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-19-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

They are protected from insider trading laws. I saw it on 60 Minutes a few years ago. How do you think they become millionaires.

Comment

As with most of the laws they pass they exempted themselves.

Comment

Negative

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
              They are protected from insider trading laws. I saw it on 60 Minutes a few years ago. How do you think they become millionaires.
              Very misinformed information, here is a link to help you know the current laws in simple form

Comment

I think we should have congress vote on it

Comment

Yep, yes, ok, in a New York minute and hail yea!! But each of us knows how that will work out. Just sad , embarrassing and par for the course.[emoji53][emoji3061][emoji2962]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

No one should be above the law....but they are!

Comment

Charged and their funds seized.

Comment

The Atlanta businesswoman, whose husband is the chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange, is worth an estimated $500 million.

Of course

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                          The Atlanta businesswoman, whose husband is the chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange, is worth an estimated $500 million.

Of course
                          not for very much longer!

Comment

Yes they should be prosecuted.

Comment

We’ll see. It may depend on what type of account it is and who is making the buy/sell decisions. If the senator called his broker or went online and just dumped everything that is a problem. However many wealthier clients use what are called SMAs or separately managed accounts. That is where you give money to an investment firm and they make the allocation decisions often based on a certain management style or asset class (large cap growth, small cap value, international, etc) They have discretionary trading authority so you don’t even know what they’ve bought or sold in your account until you get a confirm a few days later If that is the case the portfolio manager would have made the same trades for all their clients at the same time as part of the normal course of business. Senators are very aware of the STOCK law mentioned above and the disclosure rules. It would be really stupid to come out of a meeting and just start dumping stock based on what you heard. Not saying that didn’t happen but there is likely more to the story
                              Last edited by jerp; 03-20-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X