Putting sod over concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting sod over concrete

Thought I would turn to the green screen for some input. We just bought a rental property (duplex) and the backyard has an old concrete slab. Too expensive to demolish and remove so I was thinking of laying a few inches of soil then some sod. Almost like a raised bed. Possibly with some bricks bordering one side like a retaining wall. Anyone ever done this? Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Is the yard irrigated?

Comment

That will work as long as it stays watered, otherwise it will yellow pretty fast. It like that on my septic tank. You can see a yellow rectangle in the summer time, unless I water it.

Comment

We had a pool that we filled in. Every summer the St. Augustine would brown and die in a perfect circle. That circle was the outer sides of the pool that was three to four inches below the surface. I’m my work I have had customers ask me why a certain area of their grass never did well. After probing the soul I have found construction debris under the surface not providing enough soil for the root zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You might try some Bermuda sod, I know it grows well in my sidewalk cracks.

Comment

Rustic looking outdoor firepit, lounge area instead?

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
              Is the yard irrigated?
              It would be irrigated by the tenent, when we get one.

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
              You might try some Bermuda sod, I know it grows well in my sidewalk cracks.
              That's what I thought would work best.

Comment

like stated above, grass will die when its hot and dry

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                  Rustic looking outdoor firepit, lounge area instead?
                  I was thinking along those lines of keeping part of the slab for that but not all. It takes up most of the yard.

Comment

Pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sure that it would that's why they have edger's

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Look into getting some artificial turf pulled turf pulled from a local field. Make a nice seating area around it. You can cut out the lines and this would be a better bridge than trying grass. Would be cheaper than concrete removal. I have a turf field in my back yard and used extra turf at the ranch house to cut down on mowing and it works great.

Comment

Dont do it SouthPaw. You will be constantly replacing or watering dead grass. Even with 6” of soil... the concrete will keep and retain heat and fry your sod. The concrete will also act as a physical barrier retarding the grass root system from establishing a deep root system necessary.

Alternatively...taking a sledge hammer and breaking the slab up will allow root penetration to deeper soil...still the retained summer time night time heat reradiated from the stone will cook your grass.

This coming from a Landlord and former Texas Certified Nursery Professional.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                            Look into getting some artificial turf pulled turf pulled from a local field. Make a nice seating area around it. You can cut out the lines and this would be a better bridge than trying grass. Would be cheaper than concrete removal. I have a turf field in my back yard and used extra turf at the ranch house to cut down on mowing and it works great.
                            This ^^^^^^^

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the input!

Comment

Working...
                              X