Weevils In Protein Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weevils In Protein Feed

Anyone else have this problem? Weevils are everywhere in my protein feeders, turning a majority of the feed to dust. Is there any remedy, other than letting it go completely dry and hoping they all leave or die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have weevils they were in there from the grain/mill when it was bagged. Thats how weevils work. The eggs are in your feed and hatch later either in the bag or in your feeder as it gets hot. I would contact the protein company. Im sure they can treat it with something before its bagged. We fight this every year with our show pig feed in summer.

Comment

I assumed that was the case, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most people in the grain industry empty their tanks and coat the insides with malathion, let them dry out and then add the corn, milo, etc. Feed companies also offer weevil balls, kind of like moth balls, to put in your feeder.

Comment

I’ve only had it in DoubleDown protein a few years back

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            I’ve only had it in DoubleDown protein a few years back
            Where they the size of June Bugs? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Where they the size of June Bugs? Lol
              That made me laugh out loud

Comment

what is the issue?

Weevils add to the TDN.....

bill

Comment

We use Lyssey & Eckel and have protein treated with Diacon. It’s only a few dollars per ton.

Comment

I think the only way to get ride of the weevils is to freeze them. Probably impossible to do with a sack or multiple sacks. We keep all flours, rice and powder base cooking ingredients in the freezer.

Comment

We get them occasionally and as mentioned its from the mill. Just let it feed out and it will be fine. We keep a couple pallets at time in a connex box and have learned to make sure and use those in rotation or they will sit there and get worse. Just like flour they are in there its just how long it sits before they get noticeable or bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X