Cast Iron Skillet Fried Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron Skillet Fried Chicken

This is an old school recipe, simplicity at it's finest though it yields an excellent meal worthy of that glorious moniker "Southern Fried Chicken." If I were to guess, the hand written recipe I emulated was recorded around 1900, making it a technique most likely used by my great-grandmother.

Having half a dozen fresh chicken legs waiting to be prepared, I pondered about how I should proceed, grilled baked, or smoked. It was late. I came in from the garage at 7:30 pm with the sun soon to set. I had already set the chicken out, as I like to bring cooking meat closer to room temperature before cooking. As I contemplated firing up the grill, the thought hit me like an epiphany, it has got to be fried! I thumbed through a few cookbooks and a couple internet pages before stumbling on what I knew was going to be the most expeditious, if not tastiest method.

Below, I will list the recipe as written. In parenthesis, I'll show the changes, or rather, additions, I made. Feel free to add or subtract what you like.

WHAT YOU NEED
    1 whole chicken - cut up
    (6 chicken legs)

2 cups flower

1 teaspoon salt
    (1 tablespoon salt)

1 teaspoon pepper
    (3/4 tablespoon fresh ground pepper)

(1 tablespoon garlic powder)

(1 tablespoon onion powder)

(3/4 tablespoon smoked paprika)

1 cup shortening [Crisco]
    (add a tablespoon bacon fat)

Heat shortening in skillet over med high

Mix (seasoning) in a paper bag
    (I combined it all in a gallon ziplock bag)

Shake chicken pieces in bag until well coated. Add chicken to skillet, browning all sides, 7-10 minutes

Reduce heat to low and cover (I used aluminum foil) and cook for 25 minutes.
    (I turned them every 7-8 minutes)

Remove cover and increase heat to medium high. Cook 3-5 more minutes, bringing to a golden brown color.

Remove chicken and let the pieces cool and drain while plating the sides.

My son and I stood around the kitchen island, plates completely wiped clean except for what looked like fossilized bones when we had finished our meal. The boy informed me that I had really out done myself and that he had never had chicken so good that he had eaten every scrap of meat off the bone. Suffice it to say, I too, was impressed. It was fantastic!

(Stock picture borrowed from internet as I didn't take any pics)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken_Mother'sFavoriteFried_HM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	25210973

Good cooking to you,

Todd

Awesome, just like my grandma used to make.

Comment

It doesn’t get any better than that. You just passed something down to your next generation of family.

Comment

I will have to give this a shot. Thanks for the info looks delicious.

Comment

tagged!!!

Comment

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Comment

That’s a winner, thanks for posting. My stomach is growling, no kidding. And now your son for sure will understand the meaning of that old saying, “That’s as easy as eating fried chicken”

Comment

Looks great. My wife always marinades chicken in butter milk over night but her ingredients are about the same.

Comment

DANG IT!!! Now I want fried chicken, mama dislikes frying chicken more than me!

Comment

Wow! Now I have a hankering' for some fried chicken!

My people used to use pancake mix (such as Bisquick) as the base for their fried chicken. It turns out that mixes like these have a bit of malted milk powder in them, which enhanced the flavor. I don't use pre-made mixes so, instead, I add 1/4 cup malt powder to my flour, along with the usual seasonings. The malt adds an ever-so-slight sweetness to the flour that helps enhance the the other seasonings (salt, in particular) and the chicken browns up beautifully (the Maillard reaction!).

Give it a try; I think you'll agree.

Comment

Funny you post this. I cook all the time but have not made good old fried chicken in a cast iron pan in probably 15yrs. Being stuck at home, I made some a week or so ago and it was glorious. Especially once you use the grease to make a white gravy to go over the mashed potatoes.

Comment

Looks and sounds great!! I think I will change up my dinner plans for tonight! The recipe above using pancake batter or malt added to the flour sounds like a great addition!

Comment

Need to salt and pepper chicken before rolling in flour mix.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Working...
                              X