Huntsville State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huntsville State Park

Has anyone hunted the archery only area North of Huntsville State Park?
    Is the area off of the Lone Star Hiking trail worth investigating.

walked it

went and did a little scouting two weeks ago. the area looks good but not much in the way of deer sighn. It will be open to hikers and bikers during the hunting season not sure what effect that will have.

Comment

Deer Sign

I walked the Cagle Rec area on this past Sunday and saw lots of people sign. I saw lots of deer tracks and acorns but no rubs. Someone told me it may be a little early but todays Chronicle said some deer were already rutting in some coastal counties. I'm just wandering if that area gets much hunter traffic. How thick is it through there?

Comment

Sam Houston

I have hunted the area for several years and have had no luck during bow season. Alot of houses and neighborhoods in the area where the deer are held up eating peoples flowers. Most of them complain about the wildlife they moved to see coming into their space. I will warn of one thing: make sure that you know where you at in the area. The city of Huntsville incorperated some of the area in and around the neighborhood "ELKINS LAKE" a few years back and you could end up walking into a city limit area or private property before you know it.

Some people a few years ago took to harshing hunters, myself and a high school buddy, while we were bow hunting on Sam Houston NF property. The NF law enforcement guys take this very seriously and will charge someone who harshes you when you legally hunting.

Hope I helped. Your other post with regards to the west area is the right idea.

Comment

Traffic:

Thanks for the input. All I can do is check it out and see what happens.

Is the other post your are referencing my first Sam Hou post? I have already heard that west area is a high traffic area around FM149.

How thick are the woods in that Huntsville SP area?

Comment

Working...
          X