Boat Re-upholstery? Have you ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Re-upholstery? Have you ever?

I’ve been looking on line at DIY videos and taken on the project of replacing the upholstery of a Seadoo Speedster Jet Boat.

I’ve upholstered a few things before but never a boat. Duct tape is currently holding most of the seats together. I don’t have any intentions of replacing the foam. It appears the back of the foam does not have any plywood so I don’t know how to attach the vinyl (staples?) so maybe an adhesive or Velcro.

Gonna take a minute to get this one right.

Has anyone ever done this? Tips, tricks, opinions? Suggestions!!!! Help?

Backing is solid plastic.
    Not sure what the bottom of the seat is made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get it all figured out for me. I’ll be doing the same before too long on a seadoo sporster.

Comment

I found it usually cheaper just to buy replacement seats. Never looked at what seats cost for seadoos though. Just make sure you buy marine ready fabric.

Comment

Its vinal. You can buy it by the yard. Ebay has a good selection. Personally i use a guy in Lewisville. Does really good work and can stitch factory logos into the seats. The seat backs are the same material cutting boards are made of. Dont loose those! Use a air staple gun too when recovering the seats and cover the seats tight.

Comment

What Pervis said [emoji3516]

Been there, done that. Don’t rush it

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Try to keep the old vinyl in good shape as you remove it to use as a template to cut the new vinyl. It takes time to make it look right.

Comment

Thanks for these tips, y’all! I appreciate it.

Comment

Use a pair of pliers to pull the vinyl tight as you staple. 4 hands is probably best. If the foam is decent you can for sure tackle this yourself.

Comment

I toyed with the idea of doing my seat on my center console leaning post but the curvy 3d aspect of the cushion and backrest prevented me. I don't think you will get the right shape without resewing the new covers to match the old. Doesn't seem to be one piece of fabric or one show of foam. Ultimately I pulled the cushions off and took it to a shop and they did it in less than a week. I'm currently working on berth cushions for a sail boat. These are all flat shapes which make it easier but still a lot of equipment and materials to do it correctly.

Comment

Me and a buddy of mine that does leather work for trade just did mine.. What I did not realize is what to the naked eye seems to be one piece is actually 3-4 pieces interlayed, then glued, then stitched. It took about 4-5 hrs to do just one pad in front of my center console. If you have the starting dims as someone mentioned above that will be a major help. Good luck

Comment

This is NOT a speedy project.

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post

This is NOT a speedy project.

It's OK. You got all summer to get it done.

Comment

While I’m pulling a million staples.

Wanted to see about some other suggestions.
                            The back and bottom seat covers have plastic under the vinyl. I want to replace it but thinking of using the Siran Wrap Press & Seal. Is this a dumb idea? Should I just use regular plastic to prevent damage to new foam?

Would the press & seal hold condensation with heat? Just brain storming.

Comment

Armrest complete and stapled.

Used press & seal. Doesn’t stick any better than it does on bowls. lol Just trying to get it out of my cabinet, I reckon.

Working on back rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X