Anyone live in an ICF house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone live in an ICF house?

Getting real close to moving to the coast. Going with the wife in next few weeks to look at several pieces of land. Seriously considering having an ICF house built. Anyone live in one that can tell me the good and bad. Of course all advertising is just that

thanks
    Glen

I had to google what that was, that is a sweet design! Curious how they do with foundation shifting.

Comment

Not sure since the entire house is concrete and foam

Comment

Glen,

I'll ask Spencer. He used to build structures using ICF.

Comment

Had to look it up but looks like a good method!

You know what i say! Retire, move, and let's go fishing!

Comment

Finishing up the new elementary school in liberty hill, and it’s ICF. It was my first project with that stuff, and I gotta say... it’s freaking awesome. I’d definitely build a house outta it and not hesitate one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Getting real close to moving to the coast. Going with the wife in next few weeks to look at several pieces of land. Seriously considering having an ICF house built. Anyone live in one that can tell me the good and bad. Of course all advertising is just that

thanks
              Glen
              I used too. I build concrete tilt walls commercially and a little residential. Have done a handful of ICF house. PM if you have any questions. There is a new product out that insulates the concrete mix itself. We are looking at using in Leander area soon.

Comment

If you leave out of Florence on CR 138 and take a right on HWY 183 you will come across a new RV park called RED Barn i believe. They are still working one it so you cant miss it. The main structure in that property (two story ) was built with that process. I dont know the people but it might do some good to stop and ask about it

Comment

I built a jail in Midland about 10 years ago using ICF. It’s a cool product for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    I used too. I build concrete tilt walls commercially and a little residential. Have done a handful of ICF house. PM if you have any questions. There is a new product out that insulates the concrete mix itself. We are looking at using in Leander area soon.

What’s the name of that stuff? I hadn’t heard of that yet. I just saw the helix micro rebar a couple weeks ago.... concrete might as well be space age as fast as it’s advancing at this point.

Comment

My son lives in Switzerland and they use the heck out of this stuff in new construction. Especially in the 5 star resorts.

Comment

My brother in law is building one in South Dakota. I’ve helped him with some of the siding and trim install. It’s a little different but a pretty cool process and it will be very efficient with the geothermal system he’s using for hvac and water heating.

Comment

A good friend of mine built one in Salado about 10 years ago. He put solar panels on his house shortly after that. He spends less than a $100 a YEAR on electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
                            I had to google what that was, that is a sweet design! Curious how they do with foundation shifting.
                            If I am correct it should having footings just the same as tilt panel construction building. Then they have pour back strips on the inside.

Comment

Have not seen ICF on the coast, but there is a gentlemen that built a house in Matagorda close to the harbor that built his out of tilt panels. He owns a tilt panel construction company. It will be the last thing standing if a cat 5 ever comes through. May not have a roof though, but will have all the walls.

Comment

Working...
                              X