No announcement yet.

Tree ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native Americans almost always got it right about all things outdoors. “Hackberry” among several tribes means “tree that breeze knocks over, only good for burning”, and that sure looks like a hackberry tree. Not the best bow wood (that of course is osage), but I have seen selfbows made of hackberry. After several shots, hackberry tends to follow the string pretty bad. Life’s too short to make a bow of hackberry, just make a campfire of it.

Comment

Hackberry - they’re notorious for falling on fences and gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
        Thanks guys. are they good to use as firewood for a camp or no?

I would use for a fire as they are perfect for that. Wouldn’t use for cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          Hackberry, I wouldn't use it in my fireplace, unless you didn't have access to anything else.

Had a horse eat a pile of hackberry grindings. Pretty poor conditions. Soft wood. Solid pass all around for me.

Comment

Hackberry makes a great shade until they do what they're meant to do... fall down.

Comment

I'd say Hackberry but I think its been said...Between Hackberry and Chinese Tallow I dont know which is the most worthless...

Comment

Hackberry, big one. Actually makes pretty cuts of wood when that big.

Comment

Hackberry tree suk but you should try those little seeds when they are red. Fast just like sweet tea

Comment

Slab it out, it’s makes beautiful boards.

Comment

Just don't try to climb one in a climber. They are hard and slick and you will slide down the tree a time or two. Don't ask how I know

Comment

Don't deer and other wildlife like the berries?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Hackberry tree suk but you should try those little seeds when they are red. Fast just like sweet tea
                          I put them in my water bottle. Let them soak and it does taste like sweet tea. Eastern folks call them Sugar Berry trees.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            Don't deer and other wildlife like the berries?
                            Very good wildlife tree for both berries and leaves. My cows go to hackberry leaves before grass too

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                              I'd say Hackberry but I think its been said...Between Hackberry and Chinese Tallow I dont know which is the most worthless...
                              Chinese Tallow is more worthless since it is an exotic

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
                                Worst tree in texas
                                then you have never met a tallow tree!!

aka the tooth ache tree, the cambium layer can be peeled out and placed in the mouth and it will numb the inside of the mouth,,,,,

Comment

Working...
                                X