No announcement yet.

Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain has me behind, but I’ll be planting Thursday and Friday.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	plot65.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	24616393

Click image for larger version

Name:	plot66.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24616394

Got peas sprouting, need a couple inches of rain please.

Comment

I finally got out to the farm this weekend and sprayed. I sure hated to spray that stand of oats, wheat, crimson clover, and winter peas. But it had to be done.

Should be ready to plant next weekend. I had my helper step in for a photo op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Day #5. Hasn’t rained on seed, just preserved moisture from thatch. Hope to get .5-1” would be perfect
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Low Fence; 04-28-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I'm hoping we got some rain in the storms lat night. Plenty of ground moisture still but a good shower would really kick start it.

Comment

I got .5” here at the barn, I should be golden here for a month or better

Comment

We planted last weekend in Wise county. Did 6 plots for total 10 acres for dove and deer. Got very lucky with rains Monday and Tuesday night. Should give the seed a great start with some dry weather starting now.

Comment

Planted on Sunday... now we are just hoping for rain!

I put in, with lots of help, this 2 acre main plot, a 0.5 acre 50/50 alyce clover and aeschynomene plot, and just shy of an acre dove plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    Day #5. Hasn’t rained on seed, just preserved moisture from thatch. Hope to get .5-1” would be perfect

Man, I wish I had access to a no-till drill!
                    The county has one, but it requires a 60hp tractor minimum with rear hydraulics.

Comment

You put that one on a 60 and your gonna pop a wheelie. Lol. It’s on a 95 and that’s about the minimum

Comment

Anyone have any new sunflower growth pics yet? Hope to post some after this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
                          Anyone have any new sunflower growth pics yet? Hope to post some after this weekend?

I’ll get some pics this weekend. My soybeans were a couple inches tall two weeks ago and the sunflowers were just coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            I got mine done this past weekend and went about it a little different than years before. We suffered for rain for quite a few months this past winter, finally got some in early March and I had a heck of a stand of wheat, oats and clover. I truly hated to spray them, they all looked good. That heat kills off the oats and wheat fairly quick. I took this pic two weeks ago when I sprayed early in the morning.
                            [ATTACH]999685[/ATTACH]
                            Why didn’t you bale that?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Dairy plots done. Drill loaded with seed again and hope to make it to “The Cottonmouth” this evening
                              What do you plant for dairy? Has that changed over the years?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                                Why didn’t you bale that?
                                I wanted the thatch for the seed bed, and also to build up nutrients in the soil as the thatch breaks down. If I was to bale the 9 acres, I would then have to plow or disc the land which promotes more weed growth, the more you turnover the dirt the more weed seeds are brought up to the surface. I have enough problems with nut grass and pigs, the more the soil is disturbed the more nut grass grows.

Rusty(El Gato) has a heck of a thread explaining a lot of no till and crop rotation. Low Fence and Drycreek3189 are also guys to pay attention too with food plots.

Comment

Working...
                                X