No announcement yet.

Best DIY Hunt without Preference Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Bear is a little cost prohibitive on NR tags, but logistically makes sense. They've banned hunting with bait and hounds, and the population was already large/growing so theres lots of places for bear.
    I'm actually trying to go this summer for archery.

Comment

NM black bear is OTC. I think all in is just under $400. It's on my radar this year.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
        NM black bear is OTC. I think all in is just under $400. It's on my radar this year.
        Black Bear is on my list as well.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

How is the hunting in the reminder of the CO areas that are still OTC??

Comment

I would plan ahead and get a couple to 3 PP in Wyoming and come hunt pronghorn or elk.
              We have some deer areas that can be drawn with 0 PP and decent bucks to be had.
              Mt lion and bear are OTC up here and wolves in the right place are predators, no license required.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                How is the hunting in the reminder of the CO areas that are still OTC??
                Terrible, don't bother

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                I would plan ahead and get a couple to 3 PP in Wyoming and come hunt pronghorn or elk.
                We have some deer areas that can be drawn with 0 PP and decent bucks to be had.
                Mt lion and bear are OTC up here and wolves in the right place are predators, no license required.
                Wyoming is all about fleecing non-residents. A week ago, a bill was introduced (and ultimately got rejected 1-28) that would have massively cut back on non-resident tags for elk. Very glad it didn't pass. On top of that, non-residents can't hunt wilderness, but yet are allowed to go bird watching in it if they would like, Wyoming really isn't as hunter friendly a state as some would believe. I can speculate, but I am 99% sure guides just want to have a monopoly of hunting area's.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/...ers-in-wyoming

Comment

You couldn't be more wrong about that. Wyoming gives more NR tags than almost any other state for NR, only Co with it's OTC gives more and that is a changing .
                  Hunters in Wyoming are not behind the wilderness rule, the outfitters are and resident hunters are welcoming of NR.
                  But I encourage you to boycott our state for hunting, leaves more tags for those that enjoy a quality hunt.
                  The bill would have added many general elk tags to the draw, just limited some LQ tags and no residents were for it. Even the outfitters came out against it.
                  No need to wilderness anyway, I have never hunted in a wilderness area in 32 years.

Just ask the folks on here who have hunted Wyoming if they felt fleeced ?

Comment

I hunt Wyoming almost every year, and truly enjoy the people and all the opportunities. I think anyone wanting a fun deer, elk, or antelope hunt should try it at least once. You'll be pleasantly surprised by your time there.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                      Black Bear is on my list as well.
                      If you want to do bear, do Idaho. You have the option to bait and depending on the area, you can shoot 2.

Comment

Thirds on Wyoming. Compare Wyoming's NR allocation of 25% with any other draw. I don't like the wilderness rule either but a lot of non residents limit themselves due to grizzlies. I used to do this as well but no more. I figure if a griz manages to eat me it must have been my time. If you really want to look at hopeless causes, try to draw elk in Utah or Nevada.

My only complaint is the nr hunters with 12 -14 pp keep trying to draw the same pronghorn units as I do. Y'all need to take a year off and just buy a preference point. Based on my calculations, I'm gaining on them at a 1/4 point per year. That's 12 years until I'm a top pp holder. I can't decide if I really want to hunt or finally see I'm at the top of the pp totem.
                        Last edited by jnd1959; 02-23-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

With that many PP I would be watching winters really closely.
                          Pick a good year for conditions and come take a big buck.

The NR wilderness rule is a sham but the WYOGA has that law for their benefit.
                          The grizz keep me out of the big country up north too. I just don't want to deal with them. Call me chicken.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Colorado elk or mule deer hunt. Do your research and find a unit that you can draw with 0 points. Just having to put in for the draw filters out quite a few. That being said we had an excellent hunt last year on some leftover tags. We went 2-3 and would have went 3-3 if one of my buddy’s wouldn’t have missed. I have been 3 years now all in units that have OTC tags. We have found elk every time. Now connecting on one is a little different than finding them. Either way their fun.

Comment

there are a few archery units for colorado mule that need 0 or 1 point to get

Comment

Working...
                                X