Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
antiparadigm
Four Point
 
antiparadigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default BT release for hunting?

Who is or has been taking one into the blind with them? Just switched from the Tru-Fire on my wrist to the SEAR. The sear has made my shots so much better, but curious about taking it to the blind with me. Just wanted your inputs. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Reaper87
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin area
Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county
Default

How long have you been shooting it? How much confidence do you have in it right now? This is my first year exclusively shooting a hinge while hunting. I started training with it as soon as season ended last year to build my confidence in it and help with tp. I’ve killed 5 animals since the beginning of season but I have all the confidence in the world that when that shot breaks that arrow is going exactly where I want it.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

Jim burnworth shoots one from western addiction, I believe is the show.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
kd350
Ten Point
 
kd350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: houston
Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings
Default

I shoot a sear. Having the click helps me a ton in a hunting situation. So far, since I’ve switched my shots have gone exactly where I want them, the click makes me slow down and realize I gotta get my life together if I wanna find this animal

Last edited by kd350; 11-09-2018 at 08:27 AM.
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
Jim burnworth shoots one from western addiction, I believe is the show.
Western Extreme.

Levi Morgan hunts with one too.

I killed my elk with a wrist strap this year, then gave it away to make me shoot a hand-held. I killed a deer last month with a thumb. I shoot them much like a hinge.

I can shoot a hinge just fine, but I'm still trying to get the sear set exactly where I'd like it for a hunting scenario. I'm looking at a Tru Fire Sear or a Scott Longhorn Hunter just so I won't have to worry about loosing one when I'm hunting.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
kd350
Ten Point
 
kd350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: houston
Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
Western Extreme.

Levi Morgan hunts with one too.

I killed my elk with a wrist strap this year, then gave it away to make me shoot a hand-held. I killed a deer last month with a thumb. I shoot them much like a hinge.

I can shoot a hinge just fine, but I'm still trying to get the sear set exactly where I'd like it for a hunting scenario. I'm looking at a Tru Fire Sear or a Scott Longhorn Hunter just so I won't have to worry about loosing one when I'm hunting.


Iíd go with the sear. Itís very adjustable, before and after the click and very comfortable in the hand; Itís brass so itís got some weight to it. I donít think you can adjust after the click with the longhorn
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
Iíd go with the sear. Itís very adjustable, before and after the click and very comfortable in the hand; Itís brass so itís got some weight to it. I donít think you can adjust after the click with the longhorn


Thatís good to know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiparadigm View Post
Who is or has been taking one into the blind with them? Just switched from the Tru-Fire on my wrist to the SEAR. The sear has made my shots so much better, but curious about taking it to the blind with me. Just wanted your inputs. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
If you are shooting so much better with the hinge why even debate using another style release aid?

This is a specific question, not trying to be an *******.

Do you think you will not have the time?
Do you think you will not be able to "command" the shot if needed?
Do you think the clicker will spook deer?
Something else...?

FWIW, I have been using a handheld release on and off for years. I just switched to the HBX a few years ago and I love it; I don't use a click, clicks make me anxious.

Lots of people use them, the only real reason not to is in your head.
Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Ttechhunter
Ten Point
 
Ttechhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Karnes Co.
Default

I shoot a tru ball HBC hinge release with no click. It makes me a better archer in every situation.
Ttechhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
antiparadigm
Four Point
 
antiparadigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
If you are shooting so much better with the hinge why even debate using another style release aid?

This is a specific question, not trying to be an *******.

Do you think you will not have the time?
Do you think you will not be able to "command" the shot if needed?
Do you think the clicker will spook deer?
Something else...?

FWIW, I have been using a handheld release on and off for years. I just switched to the HBX a few years ago and I love it; I don't use a click, clicks make me anxious.

Lots of people use them, the only real reason not to is in your head.
I assume there ia a lot more that goes into it than just the shot. I.e. what if i drop it while in my tree stand, do some think the click is too loud, etc.

Since original post, To remedy the dropping it part i bought a 2 dollar "survival bracelet" from walmart, and added some cordage so that if i drop it, the release is still attached to my wrist.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Ttechhunter
Ten Point
 
Ttechhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Karnes Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiparadigm View Post
I assume there ia a lot more that goes into it than just the shot. I.e. what if i drop it while in my tree stand, do some think the click is too loud, etc.

Since original post, To remedy the dropping it part i bought a 2 dollar "survival bracelet" from walmart, and added some cordage so that if i drop it, the release is still attached to my wrist.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Just buy two, one in your pack and one in your pocket. My release is like my pocket knife when hunting. Itís always there.
Ttechhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
antiparadigm
Four Point
 
antiparadigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttechhunter View Post
Just buy two, one in your pack and one in your pocket. My release is like my pocket knife when hunting. Itís always there.
I'm too dang cheap for that. Ha. I literally just made a stabilizer from home depot to see if it is just as good at 30 bucks as the150 dollar ones. So far so good. Groups are better, thats what matters!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiparadigm View Post
I assume there ia a lot more that goes into it than just the shot. I.e. what if i drop it while in my tree stand, do some think the click is too loud, etc.

Since original post, To remedy the dropping it part i bought a 2 dollar "survival bracelet" from walmart, and added some cordage so that if i drop it, the release is still attached to my wrist.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
That's why i ask, I don't know what's in your head!

I dropped mine from the tripod once, so I made a holder for it. I'll post the picture in a minute.

As far as the click, I have never heard of anyone missing a shot due to the click; it is loud for you, but it's right by your ear. I guess it's possible, but the pros far outweigh the cons.
Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Here is my kydex holster for my release, but your lanyard solution does the same thing...


Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
antiparadigm
Four Point
 
antiparadigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Here is my kydex holster for my release, but your lanyard solution does the same thing...


Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Klassy Rat! I like. Make it yourself?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #16
antiparadigm
Four Point
 
antiparadigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Yea i agree the click is nice. Its like a two stage trigger on a rifle.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #17
scoutman
Eight Point
 
scoutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hickory Creek Tx
Hunt In: Tx,ok,Co,sc
Default

I use a Scott Longhorn hex with wrist strap, click slows me down too. Shot 5 animals so far with it this season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #18
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiparadigm View Post
Klassy Rat! I like. Make it yourself?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Yep...
Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com