Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    I am 20 miles south of Junction off 377. This is the 3rd year I have been on the lease but was invited as a guest several times 2 years prior to that. I am not sure if it is due to us feeding the little bit of protein we put out (4k lbs), feeding corn year round, the little bit of management I have been able to incorporate or the little bit of above average rain we have gotten but our white tail are better than they ever have been in the past 4 years. Still not very big deer but it is exciting to see the improvement. I am really excited to go back again this weekend to check the game cams.

We have also been hitting the fox really hard the past 3 years and the quail population has gone up substantially. Also the turkey have come back but I attribute that to us feeding year round more than anything.
    Do you hunt close to the 700 Springs ranch

Comment

Originally posted by RRagan83 View Post
      Do you hunt close to the 700 Springs ranch
      Yes. You close to that area?
      Last edited by Fordnandez; 09-11-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

What weather station did you get? Do you like/recommend it?
        It's the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (Wireless) and yes I would recommend it. It's set up in a location that only has wi-fi (no cell signal) and being able to check everything online remotely is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          It's the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (Wireless) and yes I would recommend it. It's set up in a location that only has wi-fi (no cell signal) and being able to check everything online remotely is great.
          Looks like a nice unit. A little out of my price range. I am thinking about getting the acurite 5 in 1.

Comment

I was at our place North of Campwood over Labor Day. It's getting really dry but the pics on the cameras are looking good. We've got a funky horned buck that my son has already called dibs on.

We forgot to check the oaks for acorns, they have been above plentiful the past couple of years. How are the acorns looking this year?

Comment

Several trees were 'raining acorns' this weekend. Didn't look as large of a crop as years past but certainly a decent one.

Comment

Glad to hear they're already dropping. Seems like it was October the past couple of years when they started dropping.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                  Hunt off of 41 & 230. We had a lot of Axis earlier in the year around Feb. through April, but only get one or 2 a month now on camera. We have fed corn, Alfalfa, and deer mix all year. We have a few small whitetail and lots of hogs. I just got back tonight from out there and everything is still green. It doesn't look like it is going to be a very good season for me.
                  Diamond Ranch?

Comment

I'm going to potlick y'all's thread. I have an ad in the Hill Country Herald looking for a family lease out that way. If y'all know of any landowners looking to have 3 hunters, put my name in the hat and thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
                      Diamond Ranch?

Yes, I believe so

Comment

Any of you guys done any big scale cedar removal in the Rocksprings/Junction area? If so how did you do it? I have access to a rubber tire Bobcat but I am afraid I am going to tear it up due to the rocky terrain we have and have a 3k bill to fix it.

Comment

Yes. You close to that area?
                          I hunted on the Teal Ranch next door to the low fence side of the 700 Springs ranch 5 years ago I was here for 4 years

Comment

Any of you guys done any big scale cedar removal in the Rocksprings/Junction area? If so how did you do it? I have access to a rubber tire Bobcat but I am afraid I am going to tear it up due to the rocky terrain we have and have a 3k bill to fix it.
                            I believe the guys on our place used a hydraulic sheer attachment as well a hydro-ax. They were using real treads, not rubber. Didn't tear the ground up too bad but there are still a few spots that have a layer of cedar mulch on the ground and grass struggles to grow (been ~6 or 7 years). Most of those spots have been burned are taken care of however.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                              I believe the guys on our place used a hydraulic sheer attachment as well a hydro-ax. They were using real treads, not rubber. Didn't tear the ground up too bad but there are still a few spots that have a layer of cedar mulch on the ground and grass struggles to grow (been ~6 or 7 years). Most of those spots have been burned are taken care of however.
                              By real treads you mean like tank tracks right?

Comment

By real treads you mean like tank tracks right?
                                Yes, metal tracks.

Comment

Working...
                                X