No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from the lease. Ended up with 1.6" of rain which was well needed. Our deer have been hammering our protein feeders. Put out another ton this weekend in our 6 feeders. Horns on the deer are just starting to peek through the skin. We saw this huge doe on the camera's. I am assuming she is going to have twins or triplets.
    Attached Files

Comment

Just got back from an extended weekend at the lease. I ended up with right around 4" of rain from the storms we have gotten the last month. This puts me right around 7" for the year. I have been happy with the amount of protein the deer have been going through...... Not too much that it is hurting my wallet so much but enough to let me know they have taken to it. Most of my protein feeders hold 300 lbs and they go through that in around 18 days which unfortunately faster than we can usually get back up there to refill the feeders.

We have 3 cotton seed feeders set up but the deer really have not taken to it. I got pictures of them nibbling at it but the level has not gone down that much.

I did not see any fawns and it appeared that we still had pregnant does.

Saw this guy on the camera and in person. Nothing to write home about but it is fun to see them when they get past their ears. Still looks like a young deer so he might have some potential in a few years.
      Attached Files

Comment

nice man.. thanks for the report! When did it rain.. this past week?

We'll be out at our ranch this weekend.. look forward to some work, lots of sweat and a few cold beers
        Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Just got back from an extended weekend at the lease. I ended up with right around 4" of rain from the storms we have gotten the last month. This puts me right around 7" for the year. I have been happy with the amount of protein the deer have been going through...... Not too much that it is hurting my wallet so much but enough to let me know they have taken to it. Most of my protein feeders hold 300 lbs and they go through that in around 18 days which unfortunately faster than we can usually get back up there to refill the feeders.

We have 3 cotton seed feeders set up but the deer really have not taken to it. I got pictures of them nibbling at it but the level has not gone down that much.

I did not see any fawns and it appeared that we still had pregnant does.

Saw this guy on the camera and in person. Nothing to write home about but it is fun to see them when they get past their ears. Still looks like a young deer so he might have some potential in a few years.

Comment

It started around May 4-5, then some the 19-22 and then got a good rain June 4th. I am in far NE corner of Edwards and most of this rain was pretty spotty so I hope you got some good rain.

Looks like this coming weekend the high is supposed to be in the low 90's so it shouldn't be completely terrible.

Comment

Ok cool.. thx bud!
            Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
            It started around May 4-5, then some the 19-22 and then got a good rain June 4th. I am in far NE corner of Edwards and most of this rain was pretty spotty so I hope you got some good rain.

Looks like this coming weekend the high is supposed to be in the low 90's so it shouldn't be completely terrible.

Comment

Had a great weekend out at the ranch.. stalked a monster axis and got close enough for him to be spooked when i flipped off the safety off. He bolted!

Got all the feeders and protein fed, built a new pin with hog panels for a buddy who has lost two feeders to hogs, cows or audad pushing it over.

Went nocturnal for a navy seal mission on protien lovin coons. Successfully!

One of the coolest things.. my dad got up early and was sitting outside the camper smoking and this little guy walked right up to him and started sniffing his boot. He just reached down and grabbed it

Comment

Went out the weekend of June 1 and did a few spot and stalk hunts on some axis. We’ve been spraying the ball moss with a baking soda mixture and it’s helping the trees immensely. No idea when I’ll be out next but I need to put up cameras soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  Went out the weekend of June 1 and did a few spot and stalk hunts on some axis. We’ve been spraying the ball moss with a baking soda mixture and it’s helping the trees immensely. No idea when I’ll be out next but I need to put up cameras soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Very cool! We were out at our place this weekend too. I saw a monster axis and tried to move through the woods and get a wind advantage to his flank. It worked, he popped out at about 30 yards. I had my dad's vintage 243 and when i raised it up and clicked the safety.. he heard the safety and bolted... Dam.. he was a wall hanger.. big mature beautiful animal!

Comment

Got this free range axis right before Memorial Day. Absolutely an amazing trip with more shooters seen than I've seen in years.
                    Last edited by TCB; 12-14-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                      Got this free range axis right before Memorial Day. Absolutely an amazing trip with more shooters seen than I've seen in years.
                      Nice! Congrats

Comment

Nice axis guys!

Anyone getting any rain?

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                          Awesome buck! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                            Nice axis guys!

Anyone getting any rain?
                            I was checking the radar pretty regularly and I didn't see any rain this past week. I was pretty disappointed bc there was a bunch of rain in the forecast but it all went away pretty quick.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Finally got a chance to slip out there after work on Friday.. hunted Saturday and just got back.. Had an awesome stalk hunt and got this guy.. best axis I've ever seen in person, he has some mass to him! Low fence place, SW of Rocksprings! Absolutely awesome being out at the ranch by myself, everything was quite, serene and so peaceful.. animals were everywhere!

Comment

Working...
                                X