Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Childress/Quanah- Kirkland area turkeys gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Childress/Quanah- Kirkland area turkeys gone?

My lease is in Kirkland, turkeys have disappeared. Anybody else seen this?

They were significantly thinner at our Quanah lease last year and scarce through hunting season.

Comment

I saw a lot more in Crowell this season..

Comment

I’m not sure about the place you hunt but I used to hunt a lot by Childress. We would see lots of turkeys in the spring. Almost nonexistent in the fall. I think they utilize different areas and that might explain some of it. Same at our lease in Mason. We see a fair amount in the spring but very intermittent in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
          I’m not sure about the place you hunt but I used to hunt a lot by Childress. We would see lots of turkeys in the spring. Almost nonexistent in the fall. I think they utilize different areas and that might explain some of it. Same at our lease in Mason. We see a fair amount in the spring but very intermittent in the fall.
          Was the same for us near Aspermont. They would almost completely disappear in the fall but like clockwork they would start showing up in the March/April timeframe. We were always told they move closer to the river during the winter months but never did verify.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
            Unfortunately similar to quail we see the exact same thing. We complete our aerial survey in late September early October and there are a few but come March it’s not uncommon to groups of 40-50. Actually works out perfectly most years.

Comment

Pretty slow turkey hunting on our place in Quanah last year. Have got way more pics of turkey this year so far

Comment

Quite a few by the solar fields and landfill just east of Childress.

Comment

Anybody near Kirkland and have a report.

Comment

For all that have turkeys that have "disappeared", I am available from April 3 - May 16th to locate any turkeys and bring specimen back for study. This could be beneficial to any landowner or lease holder to help determine a turkey management plan going forward.

Comment

I have 12k in Hall co and we have tons of Turkeys.

However, not one quail seen or heard in months.

Comment

Working...
                      X