Bow hunting hogs at night - gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m hunting some hogs this weekend at night and the feeders have hog lights under them. I have never hunted hogs at night with a bow. What do you guys recommend for seeing my pins (my pins don’t light up) and peep sight? Any suggestions on gear?

shouldnt need anything. the light from the feeder lights will cut out all the colors from your pins. should know your pin distances already, just settle the black pin on whichever pig and let er rip. good luck! its an entirely different experience.

Comment

Get a sight light or a small flashlight on your pins. You can use tape over the lense to adjust brightness.

You could also zip tie a flashlight to your stabilizer for more light.

Best thing you can do is practice at night.

Comment

My biggest suggestion is to wait about twice as long as you normally would to track. I feel like have pushed too many hogs ive shot at night due to my impatience. Good luck.Go have fun.

Comment

I try and get to full draw before turning on my sniper hog light. They don’t seem to like the movement of it. Light above them and bring it down slow. The shadows I think wig them out.

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
            I try and get to full draw before turning on my sniper hog light. They don’t seem to like the movement of it. Light above them and bring it down slow. The shadows I think wig them out.
            This! Get a sniper hog light. Have lighted sight pins... but you're going to have to learn to shoot without your peep sight. This weekend might not be your time, but with practice, you'll have more fun hunting at night than anything in the daytime.

Comment

I don't understand the concern with the peep sight.
              I use a sight that lights my pins with 3 brightness settings 77386 I use a nap stabilizer light .
              No issues just as easy as shooting during the day.
              Aim straight up the leg and low
              Attached Files

Comment

Lighted nocks
                Get a sight light. You can use a cheap little purple haze light or go all out and get a ZBros. I like the ZBros because I can adjust the brightness very low. You don't need a whole lot of light and too much will make it impossible to see past your pins.

Practice at night. It feels completely different - anchoring, trusting the peep. The thing about peeps is they limit the amount of light going through so it makes it easier for your other eye to become the dominant eye. When I hunt at night, I close my left eye to keep it from overcoming my right eye.

Even though you have a feeder light, you might want to get a bow mounted light in case you decide to walk around or have to shoot away from the light. If you do not have pressure switch on it, turn it on, draw high over the hogs and bring it down into them. If you do have pressure switch, draw high over the hogs, turn it on and bring it down into them. The sudden on light will spook them, regardless of color.

Color - green or red don't spook them. White frights. I prefer red because I can use that light to walk to my deer stand in the dark and not spook deer. The deer can see the green quite well.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to look in to some bow lights.

I do have lighted knocks and it looks like a light attachment is made for my black gold 3 pin sight.
                  Last edited by piercebronkite; 01-26-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

get used to and trust your anchor point. If you can do that consistently then not seeing your peep is less of an issue.

Comment

Shoot a few times at a target w your setup at night. A couple practice rounds so you know what to expect. Sometime the light spooks um but the settle again. Might have to hold a sec. a light under the feeder makes them less spooky. (Some light is already there they are used too. ). My all seasons all in one hog light is great

Comment

I use the SniperHogLight bow mounted 38LRX. No changes on my peep required, but I do need to use the light on my peep. I can shoot it without it on in a pinch but the light makes it so much easier to know exactly where the end of the pin is instead of a silhouette. Its a solid combination.

Last edited by Smart; 01-26-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          I use the SniperHogLight bow mounted 38LRX. No changes on my peep required, but I do need to use the light on my peep. I can shoot it without it on in a pinch but the light makes it so much easier to know exactly where the end of the pin is instead of a silhouette. Its a solid combination.

Did you say you use a light in order to see your peep better?

Comment

Don't light up the peep. It is too close to your eye and you won't see past it. I'm fairly certain Jason was referring to the Sniper Light. It puts out enough light that your eyes won't flip when using a peep.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              Practice at night. It feels completely different - anchoring, trusting the peep. The thing about peeps is they limit the amount of light going through so it makes it easier for your other eye to become the dominant eye. When I hunt at night, I close my left eye to keep it from overcoming my right eye.
                              This^^^ and if you can light up your pin guard along with your pins like the older Spot Hogg sights do... it helps a bunch with anchor position.
                              Last edited by bowhunting1; 01-26-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X