2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Well our garden spot is just a big ol' mudhole again!! The Snowvid got it pretty wet, but did some good bug/weed control for me as I'd just turned it over with the tractor, but now it's rained twice more on it since last week... Supposed to rain again on it Friday... I'm thinkin' raised beds and hydroponics are in my future!!
    I was hoping the snovid would kill the weeds so I just let the mustards, lettuce, and snap peas die as I was ready to plant tomatoes. Well, it didn't kill nary a weed for me. Probably because they are hardy natives I'm guessing and everything else in my winter garden is wussy furriners.

Comment

I planted two cherokee purples, two early girls (one was gallon size so hoping it fruits by easter), a black krim, an arkansas traveler, some heritage one called a vorlon at the community garden along with a jalapeno and a serrano. I have two cherry varieties,
      a juliet and a sweet 100, I will plant at the house.

I trimmed all the parallel branches off the tomatoes and planted them as deep as could since that is supposed to promote strong roots and bigger fruit.

Our cilantro and parsley made it through the freeze after cutting it way back and has already come back nicely. We also left one curly kale plant to try to get it going year round.

We will plant green beans, zucchini, squash, and cucumbers once the community garden gets its seed packs in.
      Last edited by El General; 03-02-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        I planted two cherokee purples, two early girls (one was gallon size so hoping it fruits by easter), a black krim, an arkansas traveler, some heritage one called a vorlon at the community garden along with a jalapeno and a serrano. I have two cherry varieties,
        a juliet and a sweet 100, I will plant at the house.

I trimmed all the parallel branches off the tomatoes and planted them as deep as could since that is supposed to promote strong roots and bigger fruit.

Our cilantro and parsley made it through the freeze after cutting it way back and has already come back nicely. We also left one curly kale plant to try to get it going year round.

We will plant green beans, zucchini, squash, and cucumbers once the community garden gets its seed packs in.
        Nice. My cilantro made it along with the onions, garlic, and lettuce. I usually plant tomatoes, cukes, etc spring break as thats when I have time. Typically have to cover once or twice until the freezes are done with but its worth it to get fruit a hair earlier than most.

Comment

Y'all be careful planting too early this year... Old sayin', "If it thunders in February, it will frost in April" needs to be watched this year... first week in April is likely to be a pretty good cold snap!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Y'all be careful planting too early this year... Old sayin', "If it thunders in February, it will frost in April" needs to be watched this year... first week in April is likely to be a pretty good cold snap!
            Yes, that's Easter

Comment

Been looking everyday after the freeze and finally saw some growth from some of my trees . So far my blackberry, raspberry, plums and roses have new leaves growing. Still waiting on my blood orange, eureka lemon , Myers lemon and peaches and nectarine trees .

Comment

Got this shelf wrapped up and set up. Will finish adding the other lights later tonight. Have 2 other shelves that hold the same amount combined as this one, they are full as well.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by doublearrow; 03-06-2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

My tomato seedlings are in the ground. I know it’s a gamble, but spring break plans changed. We’re going to the beach in Florida instead of her coming here for the week. I couldn’t keep them alive in the trays that long. Oh well, I can always buy plants. [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    We grew these Japanese Mikado Turnips this year. They are milder and a little sweeter than standard purple tops. The greens are just as good.

https://www.reneesgarden.com/product...20in%20minutes.
                    Just got'em in the mail! Love trying new vegatables..Thanks again for the recommendation!

Comment

Little late getting here but wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to plant one this year being our spring outage is just starting. But I had 3 days off and being that I had tilled my garden spot up about a month ago, I was able to get my snap beans and sweet corn planted. Hopefully around the first of April I’ll have a day off and get my watermelons and peas planted.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	55DE9848-D76D-4DDA-AA85-8D16DF13D0DC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	24645820

Comment

Praise the Lord, I was able to turn my bride's garden spot over for a third time last night... If we can bypass this next round of rain, I'll get her some rows plowed and she can start planting next Wednesday (her next day off)...

Comment

I just plowed up a spot for my garden and suddenly hit me that my chickens are free range.
                          Will they interfere with the seeds once planted or sprouts?

Comment

So this is why everyone ignored me when I created a thread about my garden. I knew you guys were out there. I just planted 10 tomato varieties, jalapeno, habanero for that awesome hot sauce with peaches, eggplant, tons of herbs that I will cook with, shi****o peppers, and green beans. I suggest you peeps getting thai basil because the bees where all over that stuff last year in my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              I just plowed up a spot for my garden and suddenly hit me that my chickens are free range.
                              Will they interfere with the seeds once planted or sprouts?

Yessir they can when it's small... My wife's "girls" are not completely free-range, but we let 'em out when we are home and around. With a garden that's growing good, they do some pretty good bug control, but they will pull emerging plants and scratch in the dirt for bugs and such if you don't keep 'em out... maybe a hot wire for a while?? My grand pa used to do that when he'd start his garden... After a couple weeks, the chickens wouldn't go anywhere near his garden...

Comment

Listen to SWS as us old guys learned the old way. Planting before Easter may cause you heartache.

Comment

Working...
                                X