Barbed Wire Fence Build Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbed Wire Fence Build Advice

So we recently closed on a small place (24 acres) that we will eventually build on. The west side of the property does not have a fence and I would like to build a T-Post & barbed wire fence. Never done this before so I hope TBH can point me in the right direction. Fence length will be appx 1,220 feet. Location is Hamshire, Texas which is heavy gumbo clay if this is needed.

T-Post spacing?
    3, 4, 5 strands?
    How deep do I drive the T-Posts?
    Do I need to install periodic pipe line posts? If so, what size?

I am sure I am forgetting some questions.

Do you have the survey of the property? You don't want to take any of your neighbors land. You'll need to decide how you want to build your H braces. You'll need fence stretcher too. 3 strands of barbed wire won't keep anything in or out of that fence. t posts are spaced twice the length of one t post. So put the post on the ground flip it, boom that's your measurement. You don't need pipe line posts but pipe h braces work well. Make sure you don't build the fence backwards the wire goes on the studded side of the fence post.

Comment

Space all posts 8 ft apart....you can slide with 10’ but leaning is more likely. Put a (line post) 2 3/8” x8’ oil pipe every 5 sections...one every 40’. Set your posts 32-36” in the ground.

Terminal H Braces should be twice as long as the fence is high...5’ tall fence...10’ long H brace. I put H braces on the ends, the corners and when there is a steep change in grade...one at the top of the hill amd one at the bottom...on levelish ground.

Set your line posts directly in contact with the soil and not on top of concrete. Water will get between the concrete and posts...you want it to drain off...otherwise the concrete will act like a bowl and hold water on your posts and they will rot faster...regardless of wood or metal.

T Posts...just drive into ground until bottom flange plate is covered.

PUT YOUR WIRE ON YOUR SIDE OF THE POSTS TO KEEP YOUR CRITTERS IN YOUR ACREAGE. I see many farms along roadways with the wire on the outside of the posts. You want the critters pushing against the wire and against the posts...otherwise the critters can easily push the wire away from the post.

The more unruly the critter the closer the strands. Ive had a bull walk through a fence with 3’ net wire and taut strands of 4pt barb wire at 4’ and 5’...with fence stays.

Vagina is a powerful motivator for all male critters.

Good luck MrCallarman.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-15-2021, 01:47 PM. Reason: PostsTouchSoilSpake

Comment

Typical spacing for t posts/line posts is 10' or 12', some do 8' but to me thats a waste of money.
        we typically do 4 t post then a line post. This is completely up to you and really depends on budget. Cedar posts aren't cheap so i would do 4- 5 T posts then a line post.
        If you are using pipe as a line post, its basically the same cost as a cedar post when you figure the pipe and then the concrete. Use 6.5' T Posts (the good USA ones) and figure your top wire will be around 52" or so

I'm not a fan of driving the H braces or line posts, i prefer to dig a hole and either concrete the pipe or tap the dirt for the cedar posts

Thats the way we do it, I'm sure there are many opinion

Comment

If you want a fence that is going to last a long time, and stay tight, then you need to really build good corners/H-Braces. Staytuff.com has some good instructions on how to build a good corner, (H brace), and lay out your fence.

In gumbo you want your H brace posts 5' deep, and about 10' wide. On 1200' I might even do double H braces. Trust me. This ground moves too much. In the summer when it dries up, your line posts (3' deep) will get loose. But it's ok. As long as you have good corners, they will stay tight.

I like 6 strands of barb wire. 5 minimum for livestock.

Not a big fan of t-posts in gumbo country. To me they are not as stable. They're ok for patch jobs, but I like treated 4" top posts for my line posts. If you are stuck on t-posts, then do a 4" wood line post every 10th post or something.

Also, get you a load of crushed concrete or caliche. Use this to fill the holes around your h brace posts. heck, I use it to backfill all of my augered posts.
          Last edited by Palmetto; 02-15-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meat>horns View Post
            Do you have the survey of the property? You don't want to take any of your neighbors land. You'll need to decide how you want to build your H braces. You'll need fence stretcher too. 3 strands of barbed wire won't keep anything in or out of that fence. t posts are spaced twice the length of one t post. So put the post on the ground flip it, boom that's your measurement. You don't need pipe line posts but pipe h braces work well. Make sure you don't build the fence backwards the wire goes on the studded side of the fence post.
            Yes, I have a current survey as part of the purchase transaction. The run is straight and there are survey metal rod/cap at both corners.

Comment

Working...
            X