Nilgai N range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai N range

Anyone know how far N they range? I just saw a bull about 10 miles E of Refugio and didn't realize they were in that area l.

There are some that escaped from a high fence around Refugio going towards the coast.

Comment

Thanks. Knew I'd get a quick answer here.

Comment

Put them in a trailer and they surrender, let them get to running and they lose respect for wire fencing quickly, I have a young bull hiding in sugarcane that showed up running down the floodway. He acts like he has been shot at before. He will end up in a freezer when the cane is harvested

Comment

There are some behind high fence in Calhoun County.

Saw them in McMullen County when I worked that way.

Comment

I'm not aware of any moving that far north as a matter of natural migration. As someone said, maybe a few got loose. As far as I know they have not made it any further north than around Bishop Texas, or south of Alice. None I'm aware of north of Corpus or Georgewest.

Comment

We have killed some in north west Webb county, very few but they are definitely in the area

Comment

I saw one hanging at the processor in Ballinger yesterday. Some place close must have some.

Comment

I’ve always been told they are east of 281 and never towards the west who knows if it’s true if it’s natural migration

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                    Anyone know how far N they range? I just saw a bull about 10 miles E of Refugio and didn't realize they were in that area l.
                    Like all animals they have a will to live and reproduce I am sure their numbers are growing since they live in areas people don't want to occupy (coastal bug/thorn infested swamps). I think they will follow the same trend as the hogs have and slowly but steadily spread to all areas with habitat that supports them. I think ultimately the cold will be what the barrier no Nilgai can cross. Here where I live just south of Houston we have not gotten a hard freeze in three years so I think we will see them move further north over time. P.S. I love your avitar I think I am going to change mine to old Hunter with the crack pipe in his bed )))))

Comment

We are covered up with them in Falfurrias and I will be hunting one later this week.

Comment

Any that roamed too far North will die once a hard freeze arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                          I saw one hanging at the processor in Ballinger yesterday. Some place close must have some.
                          It was 20 degrees on my truck thermometer in S. Abilene area this morning.
                          What is too cold for a nilgai?

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                            We are covered up with them in Falfurrias and I will be hunting one later this week.

I’d be glad to help ya with that covered up problem

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                              It was 20 degrees on my truck thermometer in S. Abilene area this morning.
                              What is too cold for a nilgai?

BP
                              I don’t know, in 1989 the laguna madre froze over and it didn’t seem to effect the nilgai population on the Kennedy or el sauz ranches with 7 days of 20degree straight
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-14-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X