Spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring food plots

How many are planting Spring food plots and what are you planting? Im gonna plant Soybeans/Milo mix. Planted Milo a couple of years ago and surprisingly they liked it. I do not know how healthy is it for them, but if they eat it, its gotta be good.

I will be planting this spring. First time to make a food plot. I will not be getting mine in until mid march. Have to build the 1 acre fence, that is going to take a few weekends! It will be my experiment for the fall.

Comment

The deer seem to eat the Fall plots a lot better. We have so much food in the Spring that the plots doesnt get hit as hard as it does in the Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
        I will be planting this spring. First time to make a food plot. I will not be getting mine in until mid march. Have to build the 1 acre fence, that is going to take a few weekends! It will be my experiment for the fall.
        I put in a hog proof fence last year. Wished i had not waited so long.
        My fall crop was awesome

FYI I planted milo too heavy one year and thought I would have to burn it. Stalks of the plants caused big problems disking and dragging.
        Soy beans, lab lab , Crimson clover and sunn hemp
        BP

Comment

my first year for a food plot. a real small one. we are a funneled pass through property so the deer just come here to eat mostly. hope this keeps them around more.

mowed and roundup sprayed.

gonna do RR soybeans late march, early april...

if it works out well, i may put another plot out on the other side of the property...

Comment

I can tell you that deer will walk over everything to get to the soybeans. And if you r going to do a small plot of beans you will need to e fence it off or it will be bare ground right after it pops above ground. I told my son the same thing and he had to learn for himself. Haha After it was all gone when it reached about 1 foot tall he learned

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
              I can tell you that deer will walk over everything to get to the soybeans. And if you r going to do a small plot of beans you will need to e fence it off or it will be bare ground right after it pops above ground. I told my son the same thing and he had to learn for himself. Haha After it was all gone when it reached about 1 foot tall he learned
              yup, i understand that...

not sure what my plan is yet. maybe a 3D electrified fence.

Comment

planted a 4 ac plot of IC cowpeas and thought they would hit it pretty hard from everything that I read on here but didn't even touch it. kicker is that I have it fenced since there is cattle on the property but cut some openings to make it easy to jump into, but still no dice. moved a corn feeder in there to see if I could attract with corn and noise, and entice them into the spring plot. gonna try soybeans, milo, and some sunflowers this time. lets see what happens

Comment

I like the Sunflower idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                    planted a 4 ac plot of IC cowpeas and thought they would hit it pretty hard from everything that I read on here but didn't even touch it. kicker is that I have it fenced since there is cattle on the property but cut some openings to make it easy to jump into, but still no dice. moved a corn feeder in there to see if I could attract with corn and noise, and entice them into the spring plot. gonna try soybeans, milo, and some sunflowers this time. lets see what happens
                    We planted ICP one time and they didnt touch them until they put on blooms...then they mowed them down in 1 week.

Comment

that's what I thought would have happened but never did. oh well. think the sunflowers will do well with deer hitting when them early, but hopefully enough will be abound for dove season. got two other small plots, one is an acre---- doing vetch and alyce clover, then second is where I have a high up tree stand, overlooking a draw, and gonna try cowpeas there, second chance

all trial and error

Comment

We planted a mixture of cowpeas, milo, buckwheat and sunflowers last spring as well. While we didn't see a lot of deer activity in the plots, we did notice they hit the peas pretty hard as others have said. We also held a TON of doves until how season with the sunflowers. Not sure how normal it is for our area to hold so many dove.

I am not sure we will be planting this spring as we are working on getting protein feeders built and setup this spring.

Comment

I will be planting brown top millet and Alyce clover for the summer.

Comment

anybody have any luck growing a spring plot in young or throckmorton counties? If so what did you grow?

Comment

ill be panting 25 acres in clover and 15 acres in eagle seed soybeans. we used the eagles last year on about three acres and they did great. we will be planting around may 1st for the beans

Comment

Working...
                              X