No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since life and family things got in the way, which caused us to move back to the great state of Texas, me and a buddy or two are going to try Colorado 3rd season rifle for the first time. Hoping one of us can pick up a leftover cow tag along with our OTC tags. Looking forward to trying out SW Colorado for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
      Pretty small. 15 4/8” skull. I was still excited because I packed in with my then 3 year old to kill it. It was a big adventure for him.
      What do you think it weighed? Just curious because I saw a few about that size while elk hunting last year and was planning on buying a tag this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
        Last trip to Colorado I hit two with about fist sized rocks in a National forest campground. Killed one and broke the wing of another. I’m sure a slingshot would work. You get some funky looks chasing a grouse around with a stick
        Better make sure that is legal cause the GW will do more than give you a funny look, they are game birds., and hunting in a campground is a no no.
        Get some judo points a couple of cheap arrows .

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          What do you think it weighed? Just curious because I saw a few about that size while elk hunting last year and was planning on buying a tag this year.
          170 maybe. Its really hard to get a good estimate.

Comment

The bulls are growing. They still have 2 months but some of them are shooters already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B508ACB3-ABA4-41A2-A27F-B019C1F61886.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	24583540

Comment

That’ll do!

Comment

I’m watching “western hunter” and man it just knocked me down a notch lol... gonna be a huggeeeee change from hunting styles! I just hope i don’t smell to bad after 6 days of no showering to get within 300 yards of anything
                Without it smelling me lol. An I’m coming more an more aware with each episode I’ll big lucky to see something much less get an arrow off! [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  I’m watching “western hunter” and man it just knocked me down a notch lol... gonna be a huggeeeee change from hunting styles! I just hope i don’t smell to bad after 6 days of no showering to get within 300 yards of anything
                  Without it smelling me lol. An I’m coming more an more aware with each episode I’ll big lucky to see something much less get an arrow off! [emoji1787]

I had the exact same thoughts last year before my first elk hunt. If we just saw one I was going to call it a success. Then after 3 days of walking and climbing our tails off it really really hit me that we’d just be lucky to see one. We changed locations, heard a bunch of bugles one afternoon, then a monster 7x6 walked through the mist into my clearing at 40 yards screaming his head off. Was able to watch him make a wallow and bugle for 15-20 minutes, then I proceeded to shoulder shoot him and screw it all up haha. It was still a success though!

Comment

For all the guys who have never elk hunted here is my advice. Killing an elk isn’t the hard part. It’s finding them. If you aren’t seeing sign or smelling them keep moving. They are a herd animal the size of cows. They leave a lot of sign. Don’t sit around and wait on them.

Comment

I can’t remember if you are OTC in Colorado this year. But remember that these elk get a metric sheet ton of pressure every year. So just like JT said, move until you find them! Steaming hot sign, super fresh rubs, etc. Also, when you find these areas. Stop, find yourself a spot that will conceal a caller and then have your shooter IN FRONT of some cover with good shooting lanes. Elk who come in bugling or silent want to be able to see the elk they are coming to, in the spot they expect to see them. So if you are calling from a low spot and opening, and you have a screaming elk come from above...they will stop at the point they can see your calling spot and scream at you to come to them/show yourself. This is called a hang up, and one year in Idaho I really messed up on three hot and very killable bulls because I didn’t understand the whole “doorway” principle.

Also, if you are in great sign with steady wind, set up, get comfortable and do some basic cow talk and maybe a bugle here or there. Plan on staying put for an hour or so. You will be amazed at what comes in, and they will come in silent. Have an arrow knocked and be ready because they can pin point the tree that the caller was sitting under, it’s amazing!

QUOTE=drop dead fred;14208550]I’m watching “western hunter” and man it just knocked me down a notch lol... gonna be a huggeeeee change from hunting styles! I just hope i don’t smell to bad after 6 days of no showering to get within 300 yards of anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                        I can’t remember if you are OTC in Colorado this year. But remember that these elk get a metric sheet ton of pressure every year. So just like JT said, move until you find them! Steaming hot sign, super fresh rubs, etc. Also, when you find these areas. Stop, find yourself a spot that will conceal a caller and then have your shooter IN FRONT of some cover with good shooting lanes. Elk who come in bugling or silent want to be able to see the elk they are coming to, in the spot they expect to see them. So if you are calling from a low spot and opening, and you have a screaming elk come from above...they will stop at the point they can see your calling spot and scream at you to come to them/show yourself. This is called a hang up, and one year in Idaho I really messed up on three hot and very killable bulls because I didn’t understand the whole “doorway” principle.

Also, if you are in great sign with steady wind, set up, get comfortable and do some basic cow talk and maybe a bugle here or there. Plan on staying put for an hour or so. You will be amazed at what comes in, and they will come in silent. Have an arrow knocked and be ready because they can pin point the tree that the caller was sitting under, it’s amazing!

QUOTE=drop dead fred;14208550]I’m watching “western hunter” and man it just knocked me down a notch lol... gonna be a huggeeeee change from hunting styles! I just hope i don’t smell to bad after 6 days of no showering to get within 300 yards of anything

[/QUOTE]

Next year and thank y’all for any an all info so far been a great help!

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                          The bulls are growing. They still have 2 months but some of them are shooters already.

[ATTACH]961245[/ATTACH]
                          36?

Comment

Question... I’m becoming increasingly aware of limited chances to “clean up”. so what do you guys use that are like me that sweat easily do to keep from smelling like death, and limit chafing?

Comment

Wear merino wool and Grime Boss scent free baby wipes.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                                Question... I’m becoming increasingly aware of limited chances to “clean up”. so what do you guys use that are like me that sweat easily do to keep from smelling like death, and limit chafing?

Light weight Merino base 120-140 weight, and deodorant

I’ll do a creek wipe down if it’s miserably hot and dusty

Comment

Working...
                                X