Wetlands mitigation banking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wetlands mitigation banking

Anyone work or have experience with this?

I know when I need wetlands credits to develop land they are expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you looking for a consultant or free advice? Not trying to be an *** just trying to help guide you. I have certified biologist I work with but they are consultants.

Comment

Shoot me a PM. Have experience and may be able to help or point you in the right direction

Comment

my lease Is one.

Comment

Originally posted by Take em View Post
            Are you looking for a consultant or free advice? Not trying to be an *** just trying to help guide you. I have certified biologist I work with but they are consultants.

There is a place near me that sold several years ago. Rumor is the group that bought it figured out a way to sell "wetlands credits" (best way I can describe it) and paid for the place but still have possession of it to hunt, etc

We have been thinking about buying more land and I was just curious how it worked. In the event we buy something with enough wetlands to deal with I thought it might offset the cost

Not in a position to need to buy any credits and not in a position to sell any either

Comment

It is possible to do what you laid out. However, mitigation banks are setup through and regulated by the corps of engineers. Not saying that is a good or a bad thing, but it doesn’t happen over night. Setting up a bank with the corps typically takes a couple of years. Also in most cases you need to “improve” the wetlands ecologocally which can require significant dollars. Also there will be some sort of long term monitoring plan to insure the ecological value doesn’t decrease or that the “improvements “ done don’t diminish. This too will cost money, usually over many years even after all the credits are sold.

Having said that there are areas where mitigation credits are very expensive and can generate a substantial amount of money. Also, you do retain ownership of the property and can hunt it and manage it for wildlife as long as that is in your plan and doesn’t diminish the habitat.

So it isn’t a simple or quick proces, but it can be done. If this is something you want to investigate further PM me, I do this kind of work and can also refer you to several people that have gone through the entire process.

Comment

Lots of government info on internet

Comment

Ouch.
                  from experience...lots of $$$$$$ - engineers, surveyors more engineers.
                  reports to corp of engineers, waiting months to hear back from corps.
                  corps of engineers doing surveys

everything is run through the corps of engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
                    It is possible to do what you laid out. However, mitigation banks are setup through and regulated by the corps of engineers. Not saying that is a good or a bad thing, but it doesn’t happen over night. Setting up a bank with the corps typically takes a couple of years. Also in most cases you need to “improve” the wetlands ecologocally which can require significant dollars. Also there will be some sort of long term monitoring plan to insure the ecological value doesn’t decrease or that the “improvements “ done don’t diminish. This too will cost money, usually over many years even after all the credits are sold.

Having said that there are areas where mitigation credits are very expensive and can generate a substantial amount of money. Also, you do retain ownership of the property and can hunt it and manage it for wildlife as long as that is in your plan and doesn’t diminish the habitat.

So it isn’t a simple or quick proces, but it can be done. If this is something you want to investigate further PM me, I do this kind of work and can also refer you to several people that have gone through the entire process.
                    Originally posted by frios View Post
                    Ouch.
                    from experience...lots of $$$$$$ - engineers, surveyors more engineers.
                    reports to corp of engineers, waiting months to hear back from corps.
                    corps of engineers doing surveys

everything is run through the corps of engineers.
                    ^^^These are the things I needed to know

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                    Lots of government info on internet
                    Might as well be Chinese
                    I need it in simple terms

Comment

Just hunt OSRBWMA! You know just down the road!

Comment

As simple as I can break it down:

Best case senario, you buy the property, invest another several hundred thousand dollars, wait two years then you can start selling credits. But you will be forced to spend money over the next 20 plus years to monitor it and report to the corps.

You may make enough profit from selling credits to cover your costs.

Comment

As simple as I can break it down:

Best case senario, you buy the property, invest another several hundred thousand dollars, wait two years then you can start selling credits. But you will be forced to spend money over the next 20 plus years to monitor it and report to the corps.

You may make enough profit from selling credits to cover your costs.
                          If you are already going to be spending the money for wetland improvements and management, might as well try to recoup some of that money buy selling credits.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            If you are already going to be spending the money for wetland improvements and management, might as well try to recoup some of that money buy selling credits.
                            I agree completely. But if you are looking to cover the costs of the improvements or management plus the cost of the land I think you will be less successful.

Comment

I agree completely. But if you are looking to cover the costs of the improvements or management plus the cost of the land I think you will be less successful.
                              Yep, I wouldn't make a purchase depending on wetland credits.

Comment

Working...
                              X