Epic hunts at the 4R Ranch AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic hunts at the 4R Ranch AGAIN!

It was another trip for the books! I can honestly say that this was one of the best if not the absolute best hunt that Brooks and I have had together!

After pulling Brooks out of school a little early on Thursday, we headed to Fulshear and picked up our gate/skinning hand, Kevin (AKA Texastaxi).

We finally headed west to the 4R and pulled in around 8 or so. After a few White Claws, Kevin had trouble with the combo lock which proved to be a consistent problem throughout the weekend.

Finally at the ranch house, we met up with Jeremy (STGS) and Jason to catch up and calm my nerves with some Rye Whiskey. After a few drinks, we bet Kevin that he couldn’t hit a bulls eye with his bow at 20 yards....he won $60 and made my inner bowhunter proud!

After some talk about our “targets”, they decided that I would be first one in the shooters seat. Brooks’ deer was MIA fir a few days and they wanted to locate him before trying to hunt him.

The first morning sit was immediate action, typical of the 4R! I had hogs from 2-20 yards and deer in the area at first light.

As soon as the sun started coming up, my target was there!!! He is a buck we called the long beam 10 because his beams went straight out instead of turning in.

He fed toward me the entire time, but turned broadside at 26 yards finally! I drew, but he turned and walked away before I even got to full draw. He jumped out of the feed pen and left to never be seen again that morning.

Nap Time!!

Fast forward to the evening hunt. Brooks and I are back in the same blind after the long beam 10, Jason is trying to find Brooks’ 9 point, and the Jeremy/Kevin duo are running around shooting hogs.

The buck come in at the first feeding. He stalls behind the feeder for a while, walks around it, then jumps out and leaves the same way he did in the morning. I was heart broken and figured he was gone again.

After 30 min or so, Brooks and I decide it is time to rally and put on some face paint! (Our tradition is that face paint always turns a hunt around)

At this time, there is still a ton of activity around us. Deer, hogs, bucks pushing does, new bucks jumping in, etc.

Out of the corner of my eye, the LB 10 is coming back in from our right! Game time! He walks around the back of the feed pen and start to turn in to cross between us and the front of the pen. NOPE...something catches his attention and he leaves again!

We figured that was it! After a few minutes though a big 8 jumps in the pen and starts pushing the other deer around. I guess LB 10 didn’t like this at all. He starts coming back from our left and circles behind the pen again. Instead of jumping in, he keeps walking around to the front. He just cleared my shooting window when he postured like he was about to jump in the pen. I drew, grunted, and let the arrow fly in a matter of a second or two!!!

DRILLED HIM!!!!

As he cleared the pen, I could see blood dumping. I knew he was going far, but decided to wait on Jeremy/Kevin to show before tracking.

When they pull up, we start talking about the shot and walking toward where the deer turned off and the spot where I last had eyes on him. As we look down the sendero, we see a hog 100 yards down eating something. Upon closer inspection, she was eating my deer!!! We saw the white belly of the buck moving as she was eating off his balls!!! Jeremy ribs down and shots her before she can mess the deer up or get into the guts!

Last edited by CastAndBlast; 11-26-2020, 02:06 PM.

It always amazes me how a hunt can turn in a split second! Brooks and I ran up and finally got hands on my buck! The ramcat opened him and it looked like a murder scene! Shot entered 9th rib and came out of the shoulder.

This deer was bigger on the ground and had some extras that I had no clue about! I have shot deer that scored more, but this deer did it for me! He was a cool, old deer with a ton of character!

We later find out that, during all of this, Jason had laid eyes on Brooks’ deer and he was where they thought he had moved to! So, after some whiskey and celebrations, we switch gears and now it is Brooks’ turn!

The morning comes quick, but Brooks is up and ready to roll! We get set in the stand, get cameras set up, get his crossbow set up, and then we wait!

I try to not open the blind windows until just before shooting light to keep any unwanted scent or movement contained. As soon as I decide to open up the main window, all I see are horns about 5 yards away!!! It was no mistake, it was Brooks’ buck! ****! I slowly close the window and regroup. I cracked the video window and could barely see with the video screen. His buck doesn’t stay long, and moves out of sight. Whew!! That was close!!!

Once everything calms down, I get windows opened, crossbow set in the window, camera I. It’s hole, and get Brooks focused.

Not long after, deer start to move in!

We haven’t seen the 9pt in a while when all of the sudden he pops in at about 15 yards from our right. Brooks gets ready for him to open up for a shot, but he turns and walks off! This happened once more and I thought Brooks was going to loose it! I looked over at one time and he was praying! All I could hear is, “Dear Lord, please tell my big 9 point to come back”.

The buck came in and left without presenting a shot 4 times. I really though we were down when all of the sudden he appears from our left at 14 yards. After a few seconds he turns broadside!!! Brooks did not waste his opportunity!

All I hear is WHACK!!! I couldn’t see the shot, but Brooks said he “smoked him”!!!

I watched the deer run around a group of mesquites then turn to run behind the feed pen. As he clears the mesquites, I see his back legs get wobbly! Few more steps and a big dust cloud! He is down!!!!

We started celebrating and talking about the shot when I looked over and Brooks was tearing up! He was so relieved that it all came together and that he made a good shot! After spending so much time practicing and drawing shot placements on deer pictures, I think all of his emotions came out! I’m not going to lie, I choked up a little myself!

Once Jeremy got there, we started following the blood trail, and his ramcat opened up the faucets. That deer was dumping blood out of both sides!

Once we got to him, we were once again shocked at how big he was!! A true trophy that we got to hunt together and will never forget!

Comment

After some skinning and caping, we headed to Los cazadores to get the deer scored and entered!

My deer was 172” and Brooks hit 155 6/8 (currently leading biggest 9 pt I believe)

Our last hunt of the weekend found us in a rifle blind on doe and cull patrol! Right before sundown, a doe pops out that fits the Bill!

The “cherry on top” of an already amazing weekend!

After getting the doe cleaned up and messing with Jeremy’s pet pigs...

We grilled some steaks and passed out with smiles on our face!!!

Videos will be edited soon!

I can’t thank Jeremy, Jason, and Kevin for such an amazing weekend! We made memories that will never be forgotten!!!

Comment

Heck yeah Andy thanks for the recap and congrats on the amazing animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those Rieger boys know how to grow em.

Comment

Sounds like a awesome weekend. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome job, congrats to you and your son!

Comment

Nice write up Andy. Great times!

Comment

Very nice bucks, congrats to both you and your son.

Comment

Good Times!

Comment

Awesome recap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Awesome congrats!

Comment

Awesome hunt man congrats to both of you on a father son hunt you won’t forget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like y’all had a great father and son hunt. Congratulations to you both on a job well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats on an awesome time

Comment

Working...
                              X