Worried: went to HR about Supv Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
    Retaliation for legitimate complaints is highly illegal.

Being verbally abused is a legitimate complaint.

There is a huge difference between cursing with your coworkers and cursing AT them, talking down to someone and verbally abusing them ain't cool and indicates a very weak leader.

Apparently before I started at my current job it was common for managers to yell at and cuss out employees, I made it abundantly clear to everyone here that that will NOT happen more than once to me as the first time it happens will be the day I walk out.

No job is worth that BS...
    Exactly. I had a boss that would verbally abuse employees. Mind you I have pretty thick skin but he frequently (and publicly) would cuss employees (including my own directs without consulting me) until he was red in the face. He did it to me one time too many and I eventually left. Best move I ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
      HR isn’t your friend if you are going to speak up against a company representative. That is in most cases imo.
      I think this depends on the company, I worked for a large company as a mid level manager before I retired, and if someone complained to HR it was always investigated, a lot of times more than it needed to be.

But it also makes a big difference if you have a generic he said/she said complaint or if you have some way to actually support your concerns.

But if there was even a hint of retaliation that was dealt with swiftly.

Comment

Who do you work for? Tell us the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
          My boss MFed me once, said every name in the book...

I sat back , let him get it out...waited about 3 hours go by, called him into a conference room and lit into him. Told him he will get as much respect as he gives out, and that would be the last time he spoke to me like that, especially in font of other people. And if that wasnt acceptable to him we could take it higher, his choice.
          He apologized profusely about 4 times, said he was having a bad day ( which he has a lot of) ...
          Our relationship has not been better, we even went to The Masters together this year for 3 days....
          ^^This is how I would have handled it. I do not mind a *** chewing if warranted. My skin is thick enough to not get my feelings hurt over cuss words. Now if it’s above and beyond ..well I would have done as mentioned above and had a side bar conversation and explained how I would be respected.
          My problem is HR tends blow everything out of proportion and leads to future problems. Not the path I would like in a work environment.

Comment

Hopefully you have a good HR department. My only experience with HR proved that they were in bed with management and just made it harder on the hourly people involved in the complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
              Exactly. I had a boss that would verbally abuse employees. Mind you I have pretty thick skin but he frequently (and publicly) would cuss employees (including my own directs without consulting me) until he was red in the face. He did it to me one time too many and I eventually left. Best move I ever made.
              Good move!

Aside from hurting the morale of the employees a manager who can't keep his crap together and loses control of his emotions and acts that way is an incompetent leader. End of story

A workplace ain't boot camp, where "abuse" is done for a very specific reason and no paycheck is worth some DB talking to me like that.

Comment

After a couple of stints in the military, I have grown some pretty thick skin. That said, the job market is pretty decent right now. If you aren't happy there or they aren't happy with you, there's no better time than now to improve your situation and find another job.

Comment

Well in the oilfield everyone cusses as do the military so I dont see and issue.

Comment

What's done is done but HR should be your last resort. I have been working in plants for 35+ years and have been cussed a lot and had a few punches thrown but we handled it all in house. Once HR is involved then they have to conduct a full investigation and administer a disciplinary action if someone is found at fault. Each person and circumstance is different and I hope it works out for you.

Comment

From all the details provided....I think he may have been in the right to cuss you out.

Comment

I'd start sending out resumes. Secure a new job then go break that MF's nose!

Comment

If you are an English teacher he had every right to cuss at you.
                          Last edited by Hunting4fun; 06-17-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            Do all of this, except for that last part

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Tell him I was lookin for a job when I found this one right before you hit him lol..
                              I was hollered at and cussed when I was a kid framing houses . Mostly by my uncles and dad..they would rush me and cuss but never mf me. but today I'm not taking a cussing.. I'll take an *** chewing if I did something wrong but you MF me and ill probably be fired.. No one learns from being talked down to. We are both grown tell me what I screwed up on and I'll fix it..

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                                If you are an English teacher he had every right to cuss at you.
                                My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X