Since hogs are such a problem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since hogs are such a problem.....

Why doesn't Texas give the hog processing facilities tax breaks and incentives? Right now it's just not worth the money to trap pigs. If the facilities could pay more I think the hog problem could at least be slowed down a bit. Are they stupid or something?

Hogs are a billion dollar business....not for us...I trapped hogs everyday for a year and it cost me a bunch of money...no profit.
    But, think of all the people who hunt hogs, from out of state and in state, the money spent on everything from corn to guns, scopes, thermals, lodging and plethora of other things of course.

Comment

Be better if people would just shoot them without expecting to be paid. If they’re worth something nobody will ever get really want to get rid of them

Comment

I’m weird, as hogs don’t bother me and I enjoy shooting them. They root around on my property, but my property is just a place for me and my family to play. It never ceases to surprise me how many people want to hunt hogs on my place for free...and I get the weirdest request from people I don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
          I’m weird, as hogs don’t bother me and I enjoy shooting them. They root around on my property, but my property is just a place for me and my family to play. It never ceases to surprise me how many people want to hunt hogs on my place for free...and I get the weirdest request from people I don’t know.
          That's exactly how we are as well. We like our pigs and we never have an overpopulation problem.

I was just pointing out the fact even the state says their a horrible problem. Why not encourage people to trap them more? Especially on state lands and parks.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Be better if people would just shoot them without expecting to be paid. If they’re worth something nobody will ever get really want to get rid of them
            There's a paper sign on a gas station in Hempstead.

Texas Hog Hunters or something. Advertising they're safe hunters and asking for $40 per hog they kill

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
              That's exactly how we are as well. We like our pigs and we never have an overpopulation problem.

I was just pointing out the fact even the state says their a horrible problem. Why not encourage people to trap them more? Especially on state lands and parks.
              Went to the MeatEater LIVE podcast here in Dallas last month (it was just released) and Rinella asked all the panelists if they had the magic button, to eliminate all the hogs, would they push it ? I believe all but one said they would not push it. Only the wildlife biologist said he would.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                There's a paper sign on a gas station in Hempstead.

Texas Hog Hunters or something. Advertising they're safe hunters and asking for $40 per hog they kill
                Lol yea I bet they are. I don’t even want anyone shooting them over bait just makes them more wary of bait which slows them on a trap

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post

And it would not cost the State a penny. Just make a deal with a plant that they get reduced or no taxes... Cities/Counties could join in. If they had processing plants and ways to encourage the sale of organic, lean, free range pork it would create a market.

Originally posted by CWP View Post
                  Went to the MeatEater LIVE podcast here in Dallas last month (it was just released) and Rinella asked all the panelists if they had the magic button, to eliminate all the hogs, would they push it ? I believe all but one said they would not push it. Only the wildlife biologist said he would.
                  I believe this. I've said for years it's one of those things..Complain LOUD to get funding or whatever..But never really want the problem solved.

Comment

I’ve killed close to 90 since end of February. It cost money to kill them but is justified vs the damage they cause me. Processing has 0 to do with it. Buzzard’s don’t charge me a dime. Lol

Never get rid of them. Too many safe zones ( people that don’t hunt, people that like to hunt them, areas off limits). Hunters cause more problems than they will ever know. Feed.... an insane amount of feed.... that mostly goes to non deer. And hunter tactics. Same as deer they educate more than they kill. I was told to kill 75% to keep my numbers the same from year to year. I KILL THE &$&% Out of hogs and have an increase every year.... all neighbors “feed the deer”... and keep them in their safe zones ( they kill 2-3 a year). Then after season when they quit feeding, guess who gets to do the dirty work...

Only thing that would have a major impact is

1. Illegal to bait
                    2. If bait forced pens

.... and in Texas neither will ever ever ever happen. Just got to deal with em

The first 100 or so a year is fun.... then it’s a job

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      I’ve killed close to 90 since end of February. It cost money to kill them but is justified vs the damage they cause me. Processing has 0 to do with it. Buzzard’s don’t charge me a dime. Lol

Never get rid of them. Too many safe zones ( people that don’t hunt, people that like to hunt them, areas off limits). Hunters cause more problems than they will ever know. Feed.... an insane amount of feed.... that mostly goes to non deer. And hunter tactics. Same as deer they educate more than they kill. I was told to kill 75% to keep my numbers the same from year to year. I KILL THE &$&% Out of hogs and have an increase every year.... all neighbors “feed the deer”... and keep them in their safe zones ( they kill 2-3 a year). Then after season when they quit feeding, guess who gets to do the dirty work...

1. Illegal to bait
                      2. If bait forced pens

I’m likely going to make feed pens mandatory on our place. They never were bad and all my feeders were in pens but now that we have leased the place nobody uses pens and the pigs are worse than ever. They have feed so no surprise

Comment

1. Illegal to bait
                        2. If bait forced pens

I think the point is that if there was a processing plant you could haul them to and get paid decent money you and your neighbors would trap more of them. I know I would. A lot of people would.

Comment

Feed pens don't eliminate hogs though, it just keeps them from hanging around your feeder. Most of mine are penned and before hunting season this year they all will be. Hell, they eat as much of my wheat as the deer do, and I can't fence all my plots.

BTW, I would be the first in line to push the button to make them all disappear !
                          Attached Files

Comment

Their rooting is damaging the roots on my timber properties, which costs me money. My place is bordered on 2 sides and across the road by DCNF, so I'll never be able to kill enough, but got to keep trying anyway.

Comment

1. Illegal to bait
                              2. If bait forced pens

I will come hunt them free of charge. This is a benefit to you, not me. I will save your land from the hogs.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that. I have actually had people get mad at me for not letting them hunt!

Comment

Working...
                              X