https://youtu.be/jCs0t_mm0uE
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #52
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
I bought a pork belly from Costco. The adventure begins. I cut it in 3rds, added cure #1, salt, sugar to each then black pepper in one, cajun seasoning in one, and sweet and smokey rub in the other. headed to the fridge for 14 days turning and messaging each day. Stay tuned.

I've found that 7 days has been plenty on bacon. If it seems dry consider backing off a few days, it needs to retain a little moisture. I cure pork butts for 14 days for cowboy cut bacon due to thickness of the cut. Not saying you're doing it wrong, but you could be eating bacon a week sooner :-))
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #53
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: cass/hunt county

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
I've found that 7 days has been plenty on bacon. If it seems dry consider backing off a few days, it needs to retain a little moisture. I cure pork butts for 14 days for cowboy cut bacon due to thickness of the cut. Not saying you're doing it wrong, but you could be eating bacon a week sooner :-))
I think the week mark is the way to go also. Im on my second slab that is on day 4 as of now and its looking great. I think my biggest complaint with my first batch is that its pretry salty. I let it soak for about an hour after rinsing, but for this run i will probably let it soak 3 hours. As far ask knowing when its done curing, im going to rely off the feel. From what i can tell the more rigid the bacon the more done it is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #54
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
I think the week mark is the way to go also. Im on my second slab that is on day 4 as of now and its looking great. I think my biggest complaint with my first batch is that its pretry salty. I let it soak for about an hour after rinsing, but for this run i will probably let it soak 3 hours. As far ask knowing when its done curing, im going to rely off the feel. From what i can tell the more rigid the bacon the more done it is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I let mine sit overnight in a tub of water and then let it sit and dry overnight to form the pellicle. This is a very important step that is often overlooked.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #55
AnnaWillson
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: California

I spend a lot of time in Spain. European laws prohibit smoking of rubies, capes, making sprats and other things. Smoked meat is believed to cause cancer. But then there is a huge amount of bacon and various qualities, as well as the fat of all kinds! And Jamon,,,
AnnaWillson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #56
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Update after curing in the fridge 19 days, rinsed and put on racks for another 3 days in the fridge it is now time to smoke the bacon.
Attached Images

texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #57
texan4ut
Ten Point

Sliced some this morning. Sure is good. I will slice the rest later.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #58
Darrenkw
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Mills County

Ive been doing this for years. If you can swing it, spend a little $$$ on your slicer. I initially bought a $99 L E M slicer from A-cademy and it broke on me about a month ago while slicing a home smoked ham. It is constructed mostly of plastic and not very durable. Also a pain to clean. Im looking for a replacement now.
Darrenkw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #59
JWalker08
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, FBG, CO, SD

I made 2 slabs back in January and they came out great. If I were to smoke another batch would the heat of a 90 degree day cause reason for concern on a 3-4 hour smoke if I’m using cure?
JWalker08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #60
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalker08 View Post
I made 2 slabs back in January and they came out great. If I were to smoke another batch would the heat of a 90 degree day cause reason for concern on a 3-4 hour smoke if Iím using cure?

I wouldnt think. Youre already heating the meat, so the outside temp shouldnt matter much unless youre wanting to leave hang afterwards for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #61
Leemo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
Sliced some this morning. Sure is good. I will slice the rest later.
Nice
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #62
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I'm cold smoking two bellies this weekend
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #63
texan4ut
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenkw View Post
Ive been doing this for years. If you can swing it, spend a little $$$ on your slicer. I initially bought a $99 L E M slicer from A-cademy and it broke on me about a month ago while slicing a home smoked ham. It is constructed mostly of plastic and not very durable. Also a pain to clean. Im looking for a replacement now.
I bought a Chef's Choice slicer Model #615A it works good and is easy to clean. Slices best when the bacon had been in the freezer for about 3 hours.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #64
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

I'm a little late to the bacon party, but I just picked up my first pork belly from Costco.
I plan on using pink cure.
My question is, if I want to cold smoke it, at what outside temperature would that not be advisable?
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #65
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

Do you have to smoke it? How do you cold smoke with a regular smoker?
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2019, 02:21 AM   #66
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I'm a little late to the bacon party, but I just picked up my first pork belly from Costco.
I plan on using pink cure.
My question is, if I want to cold smoke it, at what outside temperature would that not be advisable?
It's a little too hot now.
I like ambient temps of under 65
That allows for an overnight smoke starting at about 800pm as the temp falls and I'll put it at 600pm

Ten hours of smoke
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #67
Shortya
Spike

I have the same hanger from Amazon and it works great!! Good quality slicer makes a big difference!!
Shortya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #68
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: North / Central Texas

I too am late to the game and just bought my first belly.... that being said doing some research and some people complain about curing process causing bacon to be to salty. Is the best way to combat this to soak in water a few hours after cure, as I do not like to much salt flavor.

Secondly if you use the sugar / maple syrup route does it come out to sweet, not looking for candied bacon.

Lastly anyone have good recipe with ingredient amount per lbs of the pork belly?
TexasTealHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #69
Grizz83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
I too am late to the game and just bought my first belly.... that being said doing some research and some people complain about curing process causing bacon to be to salty. Is the best way to combat this to soak in water a few hours after cure, as I do not like to much salt flavor.

Secondly if you use the sugar / maple syrup route does it come out to sweet, not looking for candied bacon.

Lastly anyone have good recipe with ingredient amount per lbs of the pork belly?
In regards to saltiness, yes, you definitely need to do a thorough rinse and soak. The last slab I did, I left it in a tub overnight in the garage fridge, then let it dry on a rack for another day before smoking.

No help on the sugar. I use a very small amount of it in my cure. I do add a lot of garlic powder though. I love garlic-y bacon.
Grizz83 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #70
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: North / Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz83 View Post
In regards to saltiness, yes, you definitely need to do a thorough rinse and soak. The last slab I did, I left it in a tub overnight in the garage fridge, then let it dry on a rack for another day before smoking.

No help on the sugar. I use a very small amount of it in my cure. I do add a lot of garlic powder though. I love garlic-y bacon.
Great info. on soak and dry that is what I will do, hoping I didn't put to much sugar, only time will tell.
TexasTealHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #71
Jason85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTealHunter View Post

Look up EQ curing method or look at some of my recipes for bacon. You never have to worry about over salting your meat if you use 2.5% salt X weight of the meat. The best thing with this method is you can cure for as long as you want and it will never be over salted.
Jason85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #72
Grizz83
Ten Point

Anyone ever made buckboard bacon? Its bacon made from a pork shoulder and not belly. I'm gonna grab a few pork belly slabs for my next batch and also a pork shoulder and give it a try.

Last edited by Grizz83; 05-17-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #73
texan4ut
Ten Point

Here is a link to a calculator that calculates the amount of cure/salt/sugar need for the weight of your pork belly.
http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #74
scotty
Pope & Young

New, bigger slicer arrived and I was finally able to finish up my first batch of bacon. Itís quite tasty!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #75
JWalker08
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, FBG, CO, SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
New, bigger slicer arrived and I was finally able to finish up my first batch of bacon. Itís quite tasty!

Looks good!! What slicer did you buy? Iíve been using a large sharp knife but it gets old.
JWalker08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #76
scotty
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalker08 View Post
Looks good!! What slicer did you buy? Iíve been using a large sharp knife but it gets old.

This one. Made short work of it.
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #77
Grizz83
Ten Point

Finally made some buckboard bacon. That's bacon made with a pork butt and not pork belly. Turned out awesome! It was a big hit for Fathers Day morning breakfast. Cheaper than a pork belly, and I think I like it even more!