No announcement yet.

Camping in Kifaru Sawtooth Shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In those conditions maybe. Snowfall with melting temps in the day, possible heavy rain, etc, is no bueno without a floor. Also having to carry a ground liner, and still having the possibility of gear getting wet is a no go.
    Probably be nice and light for fair weather.
    I'll stick with my Hillebergs though for backcountry camping in the Mts.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      In those conditions maybe. Snowfall with melting temps in the day, possible heavy rain, etc, is no bueno without a floor. Also having to carry a ground liner, and still having the possibility of gear getting wet is a no go.
      Probably be nice and light for fair weather.
      I'll stick with my Hillebergs though for backcountry camping in the Mts.
      Over 300 nights in a floorless(Super tarp, sawtooth, tarp and Tut) and never had water or flooded out.

While Hilleberg is an outstanding tent. It’s mandatory for less then 1% of back packing hunts, it’s basically for hunting consistently above tree line, or a place you have to have a free standing tent. Weight and price is over kill or majority of uses, But to each their own.

Nallo2 and TUT w/stove are within 6 oz. so basically I can dry out clothing or just relax in the 70’s for same weight.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Texans42; 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
        Why do you want a floorless shelter? I dont know about these and have always camped at the lake, but have always had a tent with a floor. So Im curious.

More space for the weight and stove comparable. A lot of times quicker to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I'm going to take a look at the MountainSmith soon.
          I live in Yoakum , if you’d like to borrow and check mine out let me know . I won’t need it till sep .

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            More space for the weight and stove comparable. A lot of times quicker to set up.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Comment

Man there is no way on Gods green earth I would pay 800.00 for that. There are many back packing , mountaineering tents, even four season tents that cost less and do more. I don’t care if it’s made in the U.S.A or where ever, I ain’t buying it. Really watching that video I don’t think I would pay 75.00 for it brand new. I must be missing something, what makes that an 800.00 tent ? Have any of you that would buy this looked at Nemo mountaineering tents, or even there back packing tents. You can buy two of some of there backpacking tents for less then 800.00. And there best mountaineering four season tents for about 800.00.
              Last edited by critter69; 06-07-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                Over 300 nights in a floorless(Super tarp, sawtooth, tarp and Tut) and never had water or flooded out.

While Hilleberg is an outstanding tent. It’s mandatory for less then 1% of back packing hunts, it’s basically for hunting consistently above tree line, or a place you have to have a free standing tent. Weight and price is over kill or majority of uses, But to each their own.

Nallo2 and TUT w/stove are within 6 oz. so basically I can dry out clothing or just relax in the 70’s for same weight.
                If your pitched on a slope, or in a general downpour, how does water not come in?
                I have well over a 1000 nights in my Bergs, and have yet to ever have a single issue. Fair or foul weather.
                I spent 10 yrs going through different tent manufactures, before finding Hilleberg. I'm definitely biased now , but it would take one heck of a design to ever get me to switch.
                Attached Files

Comment

Run Kifarus and bergs, basically if it’s above timberline/ or poisonous bugs are around it’s a berg. Anytime else it’s a Kifaru floorless with a stove. It took me a lot less than 1000 nights to drop the berg and run a Kifaru with a stove, when it’s cold. Sure you need general common sense to pitch a floorless, to avoid water issues. (If it looks like water puddled or ran there, don’t set it up.)

The ability to dry gear alone makes me question anyone not running one, especially in the rain and snow!

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    I must be missing something, what makes that an 800.00 tent ?

100% US made materials and US labor.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                      Run Kifarus and bergs, basically if it’s above timberline/ or poisonous bugs are around it’s a berg. Anytime else it’s a Kifaru floorless with a stove. It took me a lot less than 1000 nights to drop the berg and run a Kifaru with a stove, when it’s cold. Sure you need general common sense to pitch a floorless, to avoid water issues. (If it looks like water puddled or ran there, don’t set it up.)

The ability to dry gear alone makes me question anyone not running one, especially in the rain and snow!
                      Common sense doesn't matter when you don't have a choice, and in 30 yrs I can't say drying gear out has ever been an issue.
                      Ground saturation alone can and will soak gear if your not paying attention.
                      We obviously do different kinds of camping. Different strokes for different folks. If it works for you, I'm not knocking it .

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                        Kifaru is great stuff , I have some of their gear for my elk hunts but 800$ for a tent is off the charts high . I have a mountainsmith lt designed by the same guy who owns Kifaru and it’s a bad *** tent and it was only 120$ .
                        Thanks for the info

Comment

If your pitched on a slope, or in a general downpour, how does water not come in?
                          I have well over a 1000 nights in my Bergs, and have yet to ever have a single issue. Fair or foul weather.
                          I spent 10 yrs going through different tent manufactures, before finding Hilleberg. I'm definitely biased now , but it would take one heck of a design to ever get me to switch.
                          I can’t imagine climbing out of a tent in feet of snow. Looks incredible

Comment

As said, another manufacturer to check out is Seek Outside.

Floorless with a stove has lots and lots of pluses. Comparing a $100 backpacking tent to any Kifaru(or SeekOutside) shelter is apples to backstraps. Not even close to the same league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Common sense doesn't matter when you don't have a choice, and in 30 yrs I can't say drying gear out has ever been an issue.
                              Ground saturation alone can and will soak gear if your not paying attention.
                              We obviously do different kinds of camping. Different strokes for different folks. If it works for you, I'm not knocking it .
                              You definitely don’t need it, but it sure is nice! If you spent 1000 nights in a berg you obviously also spend a ton of time in the backcountry. My point is you can’t just run a floorless, you can run a solid 4 season but it’s not as nice in the snow/rain/cold as waking up to a glowing red stove.

The region you’re in changes everything, shoot here in Colorado most September’s you can just hop in a sleeping bag and be ok. Fast forward to mid November, stocking a little wood stove and not shivering while you have a cup of coffee keeps me on the mountain longer. Which is huge doing back to back hunts from August-November.

The only other perk to the floorless/ stove is weight. Two guys can split the tent and stove and shave off three pounds a pack, with more square footage in the tent.

Until someone try’s some of these tents (all other gear) in crappy weather it’s hard to find your perfect system for how you hunt. Unfortunately that costs a butt load of money and time! Shoot once I got what I liked, I’m walking around with 10k+ on my back. Kinda ridiculous when you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                                You definitely don’t need it, but it sure is nice! If you spent 1000 nights in a berg you obviously also spend a ton of time in the backcountry. My point is you can’t just run a floorless, you can run a solid 4 season but it’s not as nice in the snow/rain/cold as waking up to a glowing red stove.

The region you’re in changes everything, shoot here in Colorado most September’s you can just hop in a sleeping bag and be ok. Fast forward to mid November, stocking a little wood stove and not shivering while you have a cup of coffee keeps me on the mountain longer. Which is huge doing back to back hunts from August-November.

The only other perk to the floorless/ stove is weight. Two guys can split the tent and stove and shave off three pounds a pack, with more square footage in the tent.

Until someone try’s some of these tents (all other gear) in crappy weather it’s hard to find your perfect system for how you hunt. Unfortunately that costs a butt load of money and time! Shoot once I got what I liked, I’m walking around with 10k+ on my back. Kinda ridiculous when you think about it.
                                Yes it is .

Comment

Working...
                                X