X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
    I'm closing on my house tomorrow.

Sure could use a $100k.

How do I sign up.....? Let's try setn a record for raising $100k the fastest !

Let's see..... 1000 tbh'ers at $100 ea....... ????

Never given to GoFundMe and dont plan to. Seen lots of folks using it that are too lazy to make a sign and go stand on the street corner like the rest of the bums. (I might give em a few $$$ that way, and actually have).

Im sure there are legitimate uses for it but I'd rather see funds raised in local stores (jars) and even better through churches.
    You’d settled for a house??? I’m gofunding a 1000 acre spread in east TX.

Comment

I've never put money to a go fund me and probably never will but if y'all are willing I'd like to go on a good bear hunt. Anyone want to help me out.

Comment

I think folks here do it for Lymes Disease

Comment

The only one I’ve ever contributed to (and sorry if it was another site and not go fund me) was for TBHs own Weston. I knew it was a legitimate need and I helped as I could.

I think there are cases where it is legit but I think the majority of the site is abused beyond belief. I’ve seen people on there saying they want help with a vacation or wedding or engagement ring... sad state the amount of welfare people ask for

When there is a real need for people I’ll help where I can

Comment

I think that abused a lot for stupid things as mentioned above. I also think it is used very we in some instances.

Example. My wife had a friend whos husband had just switched jobs and she had to get her own insurance. 3 days after she applied she found out she had breast cancer. So my wife made a gofundme for them. She has gone through most of her Chemo with no insurance, because of the switch. So it helped pay for her chemo. It by no means covered it all. She has since been approved through the new insurance and will get some of the money back, but not all. Since she found out she has also lost a lot of work time. So it has helped with that as well.

Also some barely live paycheck to paycheck (Im sure we have all been there) and something big happens and they need help but will not ask for it. As my wifes friend was. So yea I think there are some legitimate instances.

Comment

I think if you are willing to ask for money for whatever you want it for then fine by me. It's up to the donator to decide if they want to fund youre new fake taataas or your trip to Cozumel. I would never do it but as long as the GFM account isn't deceptive in its design I say rock on. It's not that hard to separate a fool from their money.

Comment

I only participate in crowd funding for folks I know and non con-men TBHers ....there are just too many scammers, moochers and con-men out there to give blindly.

I have no issue with "no insurance" because some folks just can't do it. If my small donation can help them out in a time of need, I'm good with it. I try to not be worried about their past unless it is chronic. That's not going to do them any good.. I'm worried about the now if I know them and its legit....
                Last edited by Smart; 06-06-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I think they have their place, but there sure are lots of bad ones out there. I think I read they (gofundme) take about 8% in fees.

Comment

I guess I don't understand why anyone cares. Nobody is forcing someone to contribute. Would I personally contribute to a gofundme? No, unless i knew the person and the situation warranted me to. If someone is wanting money for a vacation and people want to give money well that's their prerogative. if someone donates blindly and gets taken advantage from, well maybe they will do a better job of vetting.

Comment

Originally posted by cowman View Post
                      I guess I don't understand why anyone cares. Nobody is forcing someone to contribute. Would I personally contribute to a gofundme? No, unless i knew the person and the situation warranted me to. If someone is wanting money for a vacation and people want to give money well that's their prerogative. if someone donates blindly and gets taken advantage from, well maybe they will do a better job of vetting.
                      I think people care because they don't cut corners, they prepare for the what if's in life knowing they'll come one day, and when that day does come, they'll be prepared for it without causing a hiccup in their life. What comes with that is the decisions they're making in an effort to be what is "responsible" to them. Not going on an extravagant trip; not going out to eat 3-5 times a week; settling for a $300 cell phone when they want the newest $1000 one; calling every 6 months to find the lowest electricity bill; not getting a new car; paying extra on the house; putting 20% of their check into their retirement plan...

None of that sounds fun does it? But the day they need help, they can count on themselves.

Let's call it what it is...a hand out. Even if they're a great person, they lived a generous life, this that and the other... If they weren't preparing for the bad, and the bad is inevitable, why is asking for money from others acceptable when you could have used your entire life preparing for what's to come?

Again - agree that it is a case-by-case deal. I have donated when the cup was full to a cause that I could justify with myself. But I think back to this (somewhat unrelated) instance where a coworker bragged to me about getting $800 a month from the county for childcare. She won't marry babydaddy because it would more than double her income and the free money would take a hit. Then for S&G's I plug in my numbers and of course we wouldn't qualify for a dime - so I am punished for doing the right things?

Just something that doesn't make sense to me. Something happens and someone needs help, I'll mow your grass, go to chemo with you, do bible study, fix your clothes, clean your house. But man, it's just hard to give money these days.

Comment

I need a new Swisher trail mower, mine is worn out. New one cost more than I can afford... help me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          Has anyone ever made an account with them. Your thoughts.
                          yes,

It helped cover the gap for medical bills for an officer that had been shot in the line of duty.

A nice intro about the people and the reasons they need the money are important as well as pictures of the family or person. It might be helpful if a close friend is the one putting it together, and that the person the money is for is are aware, and appreciates the thought and that they also understand there may be people who don't want to give. An easy to follow link as well as an easy way to share the link help a lot too.

Good luck.

Comment

I'll don't ,
                            Mind helping people directly but don't want go fund me to get their cut

Comment

Sometimes life happens. Wife just lost a classmate unexpectedly. The boy died with no parents left or brother. Her class set up a go fund me to pay for his funeral and burial. It has its place. Lady recently put on fb she needed food for her and her kids as she was down to he last package of Ramon. People help people. The above post about being prepared for everything that could happen really sickened me. Tell that to the couple in Giddings that just lost all of their children in an car accident. You should have been prepared. Smdh

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                                Sometimes life happens. Wife just lost a classmate unexpectedly. The boy died with no parents left or brother. Her class set up a go fund me to pay for his funeral and burial. It has its place. Lady recently put on fb she needed food for her and her kids as she was down to he last package of Ramon. People help people. The above post about being prepared for everything that could happen really sickened me. Tell that to the couple in Giddings that just lost all of their children in an car accident. You should have been prepared. Smdh
                                Thank you...it's pathetic folks paint with such a broad brush. Use your own judgement on the gift of giving with an open heart & it's so very judgmental to say everything & every situation on gfm is a hack & you should condemn those in need for not being prepared for an unforeseen life changing catastrophic event.

Most all those in desperate need for help have never set up the account for themselves...it's sad that those few weasels who abuse the system have such a profound effect to turn one's heart so cold they avoid all charity & miss the opportunity to help those so unfortunate. smdh as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X