2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint View Post
    We had a good trip to Hackberry earlier this week. We fished with Josh Kaczynski of Redtail Charters. I would definitely recommend his outfit.
    Very nice, I actually booked with him last Tuesday. I have heard nothing but good things

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
      I see. I always thought the fish could see the braid and shy away from it... guess clear vs muddy water would affect it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I don't know of they can see it or not but I like to keep my braid for a long time so I always have a 6 foot flouro leader and switch it out as needed. I like that it's more abrasion resistant also so I have to retie less often. If it helps me get a bite or two extra in a day that's just icing on the cake.

Comment

I'm headed down to Port A for the first week of June. Any tips? How will the surf bite be for trout and reds??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Just curious... do you not use a leader any other time? I always thought you had too if you were using braid

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a braid issue Thursday. I spooled a green curado with power pro. The reel just got serviced last year and is good as new. While throwing 1/8oz jig heads the spool would stop and the braid snapped sending lure 100 yards. Not backlash. All I had to do was pull line and start over.

What I found out was the spool was apparently rolling faster than the lure could go. I opened the side cap and flipped two of those little brakes. That pretty much fixed it.

The braid had no issues on two 25" reds or 20 under sized and several oysters. All I can figure is the abrupt stop would break at the knot.

I normally run a leader but my reason for that is tying knots is faster with mono than braid for me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I fish straight braid, either windtamer or power pro with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                I fish straight braid, either windtamer or power pro with no issues.

I used to use power pro, just switched to wind tamer and am not liking it at all. Wind knots regularly and break offs when that never happened with power pro before. Had 5 reels spooled and something is always happening with one of them. Will be switching back to power pro soon.

Comment

Put Windtamer on wife's spinning reel long ago, that was a terrible decision and it lasted maybe two trips before she ripped it off the reel herself. I remember lots of break offs and knots.

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  I normally run a leader but my reason for that is tying knots is faster with mono than braid for me
                  Good point, I tie a loop knot in less than 10 seconds with flouro but braid is too limp and makes me have to concentrate lol. Plus I don't trust loop knots with braid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                    I used to use power pro, just switched to wind tamer and am not liking it at all. Wind knots regularly and break offs when that never happened with power pro before. Had 5 reels spooled and something is always happening with one of them. Will be switching back to power pro soon.

I only use wind tamer and have never had an issue! What lb?

Comment

I just plain mono, and have for years with much success. I did have one break off on Thursday but that's not uncommon even for braid.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
                        I only use wind tamer and have never had an issue! What lb?

20 lb

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                          20 lb

Crazy.. I have 15 lb on my reels and the other weekend I couldn’t break it when I got hung up

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                            Very nice, I actually booked with him last Tuesday. I have heard nothing but good things

You won’t be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              I just plain mono, and have for years with much success. I did have one break off on Thursday but that's not uncommon even for braid.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yep, I use 10-12. Lb big game. Or 10-12 lb Fluorocarbon

Comment

This morning in front of the house. The bites on.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X