No announcement yet.

3 Dead 10 Points Brady Tx!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone wishing to learn about anthrax: https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/lan...disease7.phtml

Background

Anthrax is an endemic bacteria disease in Texas typically found in portions of Crockett, Val Verde, Sutton, Edwards, Kinney and Maverick Counties. It is infectious to all mammals, including humans, and is caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis. The disease is almost always fatal in deer and livestock. In humans, anthrax is treatable at early stages with antibiotics, but it CAN BE FATAL if it is not treated. Livestock can be vaccinated; producers in anthrax-endemic counties typically vaccinate. Humans can be vaccinated; however, vaccination is not typically recommended unless individuals are at high risk of infection (military personnel stationed in the Middle-east where anthrax could be used as a biological weapon).

Common sense is your best ally in dealing with anthrax. If you locate a live animal or carcass and suspect anthrax, do not touch it. If you do not know what you are doing, find someone who does. Texas Animal Health Commission can provide information on animal cases. Texas Department of Health provides information on human cases.

There are three types of infections possible in humans: (1) cutaneous (skin), (2) inhalational (lungs), and (3) gastro-intestinal (stomach).

Cutaneous anthrax is the most common form of the disease and may result from contact with infected materials (especially body fluids from an infected carcass). Infection is more likely if you have open wounds on your skin. After an incubation period of 1 to 10 days, there will be a blister-like lesion at the site of infection that eventually turns black. Cutaneous anthrax is readily treatable (even if lesions are apparent) with antibiotics. If personnel have been exposed and develop this type of lesion, they should seek medical attention immediately.

Inhalational anthrax is less likely to occur, but is more serious. After incubation (1 - 10 days), the individual may exhibit flu-like symptoms (fever, tiredness, cough, chest pain). Inhalational anthrax progresses very quickly; without early treatment it is fatal. If personnel have been exposed and develop any of these symptoms, they must seek medical attention immediately.

Gastro-intestinal anthrax results from consuming undercooked meat from an infected animal. This type of anthrax is extremely rare. Typical symptoms include gastro-intestinal distress (stomach ache/cramping, etc.).

Anthrax bacteria reside in the soil in many regions of Texas, but epizootics are more frequent in the counties mentioned above. During the warm summer months, when there are rapid changes in climatic conditions (alternating periods of rain and drought), spores of the bacterium can be found at the soil surface and on low-level vegetation where they are readily available for ingestion by livestock/wildlife. The incubation period is between 1 and 10 days. After the onset of clinical signs, livestock/wildlife die very rapidly, in as little as 3-4 hours. Clinical signs include depression, lethargy, and staggering; animals may try to get to water. Live animals often are not found. The first indication of an outbreak on an individual property typically is when carcasses are located. Often, the carcass will appear to be from an otherwise healthy-looking animal (no signs of prolonged illness).

What To Do...

If you locate a carcass (or animal displaying clinical symptoms), do not touch or move it. Under no circumstances should you attempt a necropsy.
    Make a determination (to the best of your ability) of how fresh the carcass is.
    Contact the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC, numbers listed below) for further instructions. If possible, they will send a veterinarian to collect a sample for laboratory confirmation. The carcass will then need to be burned in place.
    Reporting

Anthrax is a reportable disease in Texas. Suspected animal cases must be reported to the Texas Animal Health Commission. Suspected human cases must be reported to the Texas Department of Health.

Contact Information

Texas Animal Health Commission
    Regional Office in Beeville (counties in the current outbreak): 1-800-658-6570
    Austin Headquarters: 1-800-550-8242

Texas Department of Health
    Austin Headquarters (infectious diseases): (800) 252-8239

Comment

Post rut mortality

Comment

Saying that they are all mature bucks I’d think it’s from being run down from the rut also. Do you have any trail cam pics of any of these bucks still alive where you can see if they look ran down?
        I know you said no bullet holes but how far away from a road were they? It may be hard to find a bullet hole if they have decomposed especially if the bullet only entered but didn’t exit.

Comment

How large is the property? If its not that big I wouldn't say it post rut stress with that many bucks on a smaller tract of land (2k acres or below). Have you talked to the neighbors to see if they are experiencing the same problems? Could be an isolated case. Either way, I'd be calling the game warden regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
            How large is the property? If its not that big I wouldn't say it post rut stress with that many bucks on a smaller tract of land (2k acres or below). Have you talked to the neighbors to see if they are experiencing the same problems? Could be an isolated case. Either way, I'd be calling the game warden regardless.
            have not spoken with them yet. Our property is about 1,800 acers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              I’m going to say that is strange to find three are Four dead bucks like that . You haven’t found any Does at all ?
              No we have not.

Comment

I would be sick! Sorry man. Hopefully it's just a bad coincidence.

Comment

update us soon please......to much

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    I hunted some overpopulated places in my life with terrible b/d ratios, but the few bucks never survived hunters long enough to die of “natural causes”.

Interesting story.
                    I was the only hunter on that place for 15 yrs.I'd take customers,and friends with me to shoot doe's every year.Without a real survey it's hard to say what the ratio was.But it didn't take a genious to figure out we had wayyy more doe's than bucks in the area.Nothing around us was leased,and when that wheat came up it was unreal how many deer would be on it.
                    The big place to the south has been leased for the last 5 years now.13 guns on 2500 acres,and they have definitely lowered the deer population.
                    I'll never forget that exhausted buck just collapsing on his butt.Sitting down like a dog would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

What’s a good doe:buck ratio? On a lease in between Llano and Brady and it’s not uncommon to see 15+ doe every sit and only 2-3 bucks. Most bucks are small and not mature. We seem to have few mature bucks each year. Wondering if it’s the doe:buck ratio or if it’s par for the course in that part of the country. We keep feeders running year-round and feed protein year-round.

Comment

Looks like parks and wildlife effort of CWD is doing well. A few deer die and the Public is bringing up CWD.

Let’s grab the tar and feathers!

Comment

Worms

Comment

Working...
                          X