Hunting WMAs worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting WMAs worth it

I am curious what it is like to hunt on the WMAs with trad gear. I hear the compound guys comment that the animals are heavily pressured and I am curious if it would even be worth it to try to hunt them with trad gear. I am looking to hunt Granger, Sommerville and maybe Amistad. What are your thoughts and experiences?

I don't know anything about those areas...but there's some good hunting in the Davy Crockett NF if you're willing to put in a little work finding a good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunting WMAs worth it

I'm not sure how it is in Texas, but worth the effort here in OK. As others have said, it is all about putting in the time. I missed the first deer I ever shot at with Trad gear earlier this year on a WMA. It was definitely a learning experience. I took the compound back the next week and shot a doe well within Trad range. I plan on going back this year and spending more time scouting. It helps too if you can hunt during the middle of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it's $40 annual permit fee ... probably cheapest access to hunting you'll find .

Comment

No

Comment

I hunt amistad and really enjoy it great trip also there's big rams on zone 5 great place to hunt with trad gear.

Comment

Depends on how much effort you put in

If you want to hunt within 100yds of parking area or road then be prepared to deal with spooky critters and more hunters

If you want to study aerial maps, spend a good bit of time on the ground scouting and hunt away from the easy to get to places then it can be great hunting

Never been on the 3 you mentioned but have hunted a handful of them all over the state

Comment

I've hunted Somerville, at that time they had archery only areas and we got on pigs pretty regularly. Not saying we killed a lot, but we sure found them more often than not. That was about 12yrs ago though.

Comment

It depends on how you value your time and assign worth. Is it hard? Yes! You get to control very little, and are at the mercy of others and thier actions. How do you measure success? Is it the kill, or the ability to hunt? Usually, it is somewhere in between. I tend to want to kill things; it is why I invested in a WT lease. But before that I hunted WMA because I would rather hunt than sit on a couch.

I still hit a WMA because there are opportunities I cant find elsewhere. I typically don't getbmy hopes up on coming home with a kill, even though I expect I can, and I put forth my best effort.

I think it is worth it if you have no other options.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X