Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Webb County
Default Crooked Silencerco Harvester?

Just finished threading the muzzle for a customer for his can on a Ruger rifle. Indicated the last 2.5" of the bore and then checked the shoulder I cut and it runs dead true. Can has good contact with the shoulder and runout at the front of the can is .001 but the runout at the business end is .020 (and you can see the exit hole wobble too)! I put two other cans on the barrel including one of my old AAC's and both run perfect. I re-checked the bore after I cut it and it's still running tight. Anyone ever run into this?
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
trophy8
Pope & Young

First shot should center it up
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
QuackHunter
Six Point

Check the silencerco van on another rifle to see if it does it on all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
bowhunter2989
Ten Point

Did the customer cross thread the pitch adapter so it’s crooked in the can?
bowhunter2989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Email SilencerCo, they will respond quickly and put you in touch with someone that can help you verify the suppressor side data.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
video it though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter2989 View Post
Did the customer cross thread the pitch adapter so itís crooked in the can?
KDinTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
kck
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll report back on the results Matt...

I'll holler at Silencerco and see what they say. Nothing looks stripped out and no threads were buggered up so we'll see.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
trjones87
Pope & Young

might be the suppressor. had something similar but i didnt catch it until a few rounds.... the bullet was actually grazing the exit hole on the way out. had to send it back to OEM
trjones87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
kck
Ten Point

Called and left a message with Silencerco and got a call back within an hour and the gent that I talked to was a good dude. I explained the issue to him and he told me that they overbore to .400+ on the 30 cal cans for any issues like this and said that it shouldn't be an issue and to go ahead and pull the trigger. The customer happened to have another identical can so he brought it over and we switched it out on the adapter and it ran right at .015 of runout so not quite as bad. I figured it would be fine since .020 of runout on the can would still leave plenty of room for clearance. Being in aerospace manufacturing, I'd like to see a little tighter tolerances on their stuff for the money but the customer service seems to be spot on so I'll give them that.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
Called and left a message with Silencerco and got a call back within an hour and the gent that I talked to was a good dude. I explained the issue to him and he told me that they overbore to .400+ on the 30 cal cans for any issues like this and said that it shouldn't be an issue and to go ahead and pull the trigger. The customer happened to have another identical can so he brought it over and we switched it out on the adapter and it ran right at .015 of runout so not quite as bad. I figured it would be fine since .020 of runout on the can would still leave plenty of room for clearance. Being in aerospace manufacturing, I'd like to see a little tighter tolerances on their stuff for the money but the customer service seems to be spot on so I'll give them that.
They are top notch on customer service. Go ahead and shoot it, if it baffle strikes you can send it, have it rebuilt for free and have it back in 5 days or so.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
SC-Texas
Ten Point

So don't worry about it? Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #12
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post

Itís a bold strategy Cotton. Letís see how it plays out.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Geez...so many variables that can happen with baffles strikes...I would not want that can, and would send it back. While the customer service was excellent. I have to have doubts about the product. No reason why it cannot be perfect. So much of a precision item for it NOT to be.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
duckmanep
Ten Point

Crooked cans can cause major POI shifts? I ran into this with a crooked adapter.
duckmanep is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #15
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
They are top notch on customer service. Go ahead and shoot it, if it baffle strikes you can send it, have it rebuilt for free and have it back in 5 days or so.
Their service and turnaround time has taken a major dive in the last year since the latest round of layoffs in January 18í. Im really surprised to see he received a call back so quickly. As of a couple months ago it was still taking weeks just to speak to someone. Repair was considerably longer. Letís hope thatís a sign of better service and warranty turnaround time.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Their service and turnaround time has taken a major dive in the last year since the latest round of layoffs in January 18í. Im really surprised to see he received a call back so quickly. As of a couple months ago it was still taking weeks just to speak to someone. Repair was considerably longer. Letís hope thatís a sign of better service and warranty turnaround time.
Hate to hear that from them. I guess it was bound to happen with them fooling with shotgun cans and integrally suppressed pistols. Both products that we did not need. I wish they would have stayed on top of new mounting systems and innovative rifle suppressors. They have not done much to the lineup in over 4 years.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #17
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post

I am not sure what other options he has. SilencerCo indicated it was within spec and said to run it. If he sends it back what would they change without a baffle strike on something that is within spec?

On a side note, how many of you are chucking up your suppressors and measuring runout before shooting? I would guess near zero. The other option is to sell it, but not disclosing what was found would be shady.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #18
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hate to hear that from them. I guess it was bound to happen with them fooling with shotgun cans and integrally suppressed pistols. Both products that we did not need. I wish they would have stayed on top of new mounting systems and innovative rifle suppressors. They have not done much to the lineup in over 4 years.
Look at who left about that time
Old 02-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #19
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
Look at who left about that time
Agree!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
kck
Ten Point

I've never had a SilencerCo product in my hand before this but I can tell y'all one thing as a manufacturer of aerospace and downhole parts where we have to hold tolerances in the tenths...I'm considering getting a class 3 on top of my current 7 because if they're selling these things for 6-700$ I can make solid 6-4 titanium monocores cheaper and considerably better and I've got a laser etching machine with a rotary axis for current parts anyway...sorry, it's early and I'm waiting for my coffee to brew.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #21
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
I've never had a SilencerCo product in my hand before this but I can tell y'all one thing as a manufacturer of aerospace and downhole parts where we have to hold tolerances in the tenths...I'm considering getting a class 3 on top of my current 7 because if they're selling these things for 6-700$ I can make solid 6-4 titanium monocores cheaper and considerably better and I've got a laser etching machine with a rotary axis for current parts anyway...sorry, it's early and I'm waiting for my coffee to brew.
If you already have a type 7 FFL you only need to apply for a type 2 Special Occupancy Tax (SOT). Frankly, this is the best combination you can have. This allows you to build anything covered under the NFA act and you can act as a transfer for any legal class III item.

Meaning you can build suppressors, machine guns, etc. You just have to notify the BATFE within a day on certain things. Go for it!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
In my opinion there are still a lot of precision bolt guys that are not happy about Thunder Beast discontinuing their old line of direct thread precision rifle suppressors. I am not sure mono-core is the way to go but if you could build something direct thread that performed like that old TB can for a reasonable price you would have a customer here ready to buy. Perhaps a special TBH direct thread precision rifle suppressor at a decent price? I am not all that worried about it being the absolute lowest DB on the market. My requirement would be hearing safe with a pleasing tone. Look forward to the prototypes!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
kck
Ten Point

Quote:
In my opinion there are still a lot of precision bolt guys that are not happy about Thunder Beast discontinuing their old line of direct thread precision rifle suppressors. I am not sure mono-core is the way to go but if you could build something direct thread that performed like that old TB can for a reasonable price you would have a customer here ready to buy. Perhaps a special TBH direct thread precision rifle suppressor at a decent price? I am not all that worried about it being the absolute lowest DB on the market. My requirement would be hearing safe with a pleasing tone. Look forward to the prototypes!
Good chance Iíll be back in touch with our own Sean Cody. Heís done a great job for me on all my other stuff as well and Iíd highly recommend him to anyone.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
The 6-700 includes 2 sets of markup, wholesale distributor & dealer, so I'm guessing the manufacturer is getting $4ish. Still some meat on the bone, but maybe not much by the time you add whatever insurance policy would be needed to cover you, taxes, then there is ITAR....
Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #25
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
I can tell y'all one thing as a manufacturer of aerospace and downhole parts where we have to hold tolerances in the tenths...I'm considering getting a class 3 on top of my current 7 because if they're selling these things for 6-700$ I can make solid 6-4 titanium monocores cheaper and considerably better
We await your "considerably better," yet still cheaper silencer designs. I'm sure they will be great. I would like to buy one. Keep us posted.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
duckmanep
Ten Point

You thread barrels for everyone, or just your customers or other dealers, or..?? I would be interested in pricing.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #27
kck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
We await your "considerably better," yet still cheaper silencer designs. I'm sure they will be great. I would like to buy one. Keep us posted.
I should probably rephrase that as considerably tighter in spec and straightness. Theyíve all done their homework on the quiet end and know more about that than I do
Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
kck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
You thread barrels for everyone, or just your customers or other dealers, or..?? I would be interested in pricing.
Just customers. It’s just me in my little shop at the house after work and on weekends so I don’t have the capacity to do a whole lot. I may do a website just for grins but I always said I didn’t want to come home from a job of meeting deadlines to a job at home meeeting deadlines. I tend to refer most folks to APR as they’re a sponsor but also because Robert (Stick1) here on TBH is a superb guy.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #29
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Hmmmmm
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top