Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #51
WTJim
Ten Point

Thx sir!
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #52
kkp005
Six Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Jason

What do you know about the new pulsar thermion? I was looking at pulsars website and it looks like the XM’s (seem comparable to the current xq’s) have More base zoom.

3.3 for the xm30 and 5.5 for the xm50. I think the 3.3 would be nice but the 5.5 definitely seems like to much for anything around here. I guess maybe they are trying to compete with Flirs 536 and 736
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #53
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas
Default 2019 Night Vision & Thermal Thread

Liking the new digs on this thread

All I know is my wallet is snapping at me since I watched the new podcast from SHOT. Iím already saving up for one of those Axioms, hope they are sent too yíall on time Jason like the sales rep said

Oh and hereís the reason I want a Axiom, like stated in the podcast looking at deer before you leave the stand at night is pretty cool this was with my Trail XQ50 as a handheld a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Russ81; 01-24-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #54
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

^^ Dude I'm right there with you. I used my thermal for spotting deer in the thick brush this year and it was amazing what I've been missing.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #55
crash8005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
WT, no one knows more than what they showed in that video. From my understanding that will be the only new digital NV offered by Sightmark. I was told the Photon RTís are not going away either, this will be a secondary option.

Iíll see it for myself Tuesday when the show starts and will know more then. Iíll be reporting back!

Jason
Jason,

Any updates. I'm about to get with you and pull the trigger but unsure whether to go with the Photon or the Wraith. How long will it take you to get Wraiths in stock?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
crash8005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #56
ccampff
Four Point

Anybody looking to unload an rxq30v shoot me a pm. Looking to get my brother in the thermal game.
ccampff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #57
crash8005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8005 View Post
Jason,

Any updates. I'm about to get with you and pull the trigger but unsure whether to go with the Photon or the Wraith. How long will it take you to get Wraiths in stock?

Please disregard. Just read your SHOT show thread.

crash8005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #58
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Ok back from the SHOT Show!

For those interested, I will be starting to take pre-orders on all the new thermals and NV very soon. This will include the N-Vision Halo, Sightmark Wraith and the Pulsar Thermion and Axion monoculars. I'll be posting up the details for pre-orders soon. I've done this many times over the years on TBH and it's always been very successful but I learn something new every time and I'm making some tweaks and adjustments this time around.

Stay tuned!

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 11:49 PM   #59
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Definitely interested in the Thermion. Hate to wait til Aug though. Was hoping to pull the trigger next month on a new thermal but I guess I'll wait lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #60
mrmilom1990
Nubbin' Buck

I love this thread! It keeps me on move to go hunting. Night vision scope play an important role to get your target down. As a beginner, I read a lot of reviews in order to know that I am in the right track. Can somebody suggest (based on experience) what should I pick in this source that I found: https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-night-...for-the-money/. Rest assured that everything will be hight appreciated.

Thanks
mrmilom1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #61
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmilom1990 View Post
I love this thread! It keeps me on move to go hunting. Night vision scope play an important role to get your target down. As a beginner, I read a lot of reviews in order to know that I am in the right track. Can somebody suggest (based on experience) what should I pick in this source that I found: https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-night-...for-the-money/. Rest assured that everything will be hight appreciated.

Thanks
I checked that link out and those scopes are very outdated, most of them are out of production now. I'd be glad to make some suggestions but I'm not sure what your price range is. I wouldn't rely on that link though because it's old information.

- Jason
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #62
BobbyJoe
Six Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:

No sir that doesn't seem normal. I've sold an absolute ton of Apexes, with a whole lot of them going up north to guys hunting in super cold weather. They all end up with a battery pack but I haven't heard them talk about much less than hour. One thing to note, if it's the cold zapping the batteries, it's the cold...not the scope. What brand 123A batteries are you using? I've done a bunch of research and read all the scientific test results and Panasonic always comes out on top but they are silly expensive. Energizer and Duracel are a close 2nd and they lead the rest of the pack by far. I'd consider a Streamlight or a Surefire but I've have mixed results with them the last few times I used them. I'd really suggest sticking to Engergizer or Duracell.

I've got the Pulsar EPS3i battery packs for $129 and they should run the scope for 6-8 hours. I have several customers hunting up north in sub-zero temps telling me they are getting 4-6 hours out of the EPS3i even in those temps. Two guys told me they've been out when their iPhones won't even power on because of the cold but they were shooting coyotes with the Apex. They're more dedicated than me.lol

- Jason
Using energizer 123 batteries. So I use my Apex as a spotter too, will the battery pack get in the way when it comes to taking the scope on and off?
BobbyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #63
35remington
Pope & Young

Just want to thank Jason again. My Photon RT showed up last week and it's every bit as awesome as he said it'd be. I had the XT model a while back and this one is definitely an improvement. Can't wait to kill some stuff with it!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:17 AM   #64
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJoe View Post
Using energizer 123 batteries. So I use my Apex as a spotter too, will the battery pack get in the way when it comes to taking the scope on and off?
It won't get in the way because the EPS3i will mount to the picatinny rail on the left side of the scope. But it's going to add about 3.5"x3"x1" of bulk and about 8oz of weight. That's going to be the real decision maker, do you want the extra bulk and weight on it while using it as a handheld? I'm not sure it's ideal but I can tell you if I was going through a set of 123A's in less than hour I don't think I'd have a choice. That's a lot of batteries!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 AM   #65
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Just want to thank Jason again. My Photon RT showed up last week and it's every bit as awesome as he said it'd be. I had the XT model a while back and this one is definitely an improvement. Can't wait to kill some stuff with it!
Awesome man, so glad you like it! I can honestly say the RT "S" series (has to be the S) has the brightest build-in IR illuminator on any digital NV scope I've ever seen. It's legit. Glad you're enjoying it.

Jason
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #66
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

Biggest Bobcat to date.
Getting this guy mounted.
https://youtu.be/-MgKbx9v-tg

Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #67
mudkat
Eight Point

Hunt In: rusk county

I just had a thought why don't the manufactures make the control buttons out of glow in the dark material so you can see where they are in the dark?
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #68
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkat View Post
I just had a thought why don't the manufactures make the control buttons out of glow in the dark material so you can see where they are in the dark?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #69
ZachW
Four Point

Hunt In: Lindale

I have the Sightmark Photon XT 6.5x50s and the Sightmark Photon RT 6-12x50 and I love them both I am partial towards the RT because of the extra features and handles better with the Streamlight IR Flashlight I put on the side. I also like having the extra battery pack so I can switch it quickly in the field.
ZachW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #70
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not sure if serious.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #71
mudkat
Eight Point

I'm serious, my flir handheld the function buttons are lit and my pulsar are 3 black buttons on a black scope with the power button right next to the function buttons.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #72
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachW View Post
I have the Sightmark Photon XT 6.5x50s and the Sightmark Photon RT 6-12x50 and I love them both I am partial towards the RT because of the extra features and handles better with the Streamlight IR Flashlight I put on the side. I also like having the extra battery pack so I can switch it quickly in the field.
Buy a thermal and you will sell those ASAP
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #73
mrmilom1990
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I checked that link out and those scopes are very outdated, most of them are out of production now. I'd be glad to make some suggestions but I'm not sure what your price range is. I wouldn't rely on that link though because it's old information.

- Jason
Thanks bro! I really appreciate this.
mrmilom1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #74
justicetx
Spike

Sweet thread! I got the pulsar N355 NV scope. Nothing but good things. I love being able to positive ID things so easily. Now I am looking for a thermal scanner. Best of both worlds.
justicetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #75
justicetx
Spike

Came in downwind as planned. 80 yards facing me.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #76
kkp005
Six Point

27 this weekend between 4 of us. Using mainly pulsar xq38ís and 7.62 x 39 ARís. Iíve been impressed with the 124gr tulammo soft points

Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #77
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Nice shooting justicetx and KKP! Keep up the good work, great pictures too!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #78
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Jason--got my first one tonight with the XQ50---it is FUN, but shooting running pigs with a RH bolt gun when you are LH isn't easy.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #79
justicetx
Spike

KKP..layed the smack down! All good size hogs too! Good job. Kill Em All
Old 02-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #80
kkp005
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicetx View Post
KKP..layed the smack down! All good size hogs too! Good job. Kill Em All
Thanks. Yeah it was a pretty good weekend. Our 10 biggest hogs weighed a total of almost 1800
Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #81
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Jason--got my first one tonight with the XQ50---it is FUN, but shooting running pigs with a RH bolt gun when you are LH isn't easy.
Hahahaha you are going to have an AR-15 in no time, mark my words. Glad you got first blood.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #82
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
HA!! I can't even begin to imagine! I'm a righty and if you gave me a LH bolt gun, I'd probably have to stand on my head to chamber a round.lol I can't imagine trying to do it in a hurry, shooting a running pigs, in the dark.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #83
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Hahahaha you are going to have an AR-15 in no time, mark my words. Glad you got first blood.
Ordered it today--

Now all I have to do is wait--and mount the scope, and zero, and figure out which ammo. Oh the hard, hard work ahead.

I do have to say, making a sneak in the dark across the pasture when you can't see the ground is nerve wracking. Every 15-20 steps I stopped, re-checked the targets, and kept going until I was within about 50 yds.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #84
Hunteraudit
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Sightmark wraith vs Sightmark RT. Would like to see a head to head on your YT when available.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #85
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ordered it today--

Now all I have to do is wait--and mount the scope, and zero, and figure out which ammo. Oh the hard, hard work ahead.

I do have to say, making a sneak in the dark across the pasture when you can't see the ground is nerve wracking. Every 15-20 steps I stopped, re-checked the targets, and kept going until I was within about 50 yds.
A very dim red flashlight will get you there. But most guys end up spending another $4K on head-mounted night vision. This is an expensive hobby!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #86
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
Sightmark wraith vs Sightmark RT. Would like to see a head to head on your YT when available.
Yes sir! As soon as I get the Wraiths in my hands and get in the field with them, there will definitely be a side by side comparison. We will discuss it in depth on The Late Night Vision Show podcast and on separate YouTube reviews.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #87
mudkat
Eight Point

Jason , Do the new pulsars that look like a rifle scope change the magnification like a standard scope?
it's kinda of aggravating on the older scopes to have the zoom in the menu buttons I would prefer a knob that does nothing but zoom .
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #88
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Jason , Do the new pulsars that look like a rifle scope change the magnification like a standard scope?
it's kinda of aggravating on the older scopes to have the zoom in the menu buttons I would prefer a knob that does nothing but zoom .
Oh man....that's good question. I honestly can't remember from when I was holding it at SHOT but I honestly think there is a + and - button right there on the top of the eyepiece that does the zoom in and zoom out. I know this....if it's buttons, it will be done by 2 buttons, zoom in and zoom out, you will not go into the menu for anything. I'm 99% sure the zoom in/zoom out buttons are right there on the rear above the eyepeice. Ill have to confirm that though.

Jason
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #89
rockspringshunt
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone ever night hunt for axis deer? wondering if I'd be better going with night vision or thermal. Wondering if you could see the spots on its coat at 100yds with night vision? Using thermal can you see antlers? Thanks for any help
rockspringshunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #90
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Picked up the Sightmark Photon XT on Friday at Academy during the clearance sale.. got it for $125.

I have a .224 Valkyrie Iím going to put it on. Need to get to the range to sight it in, so I get get out there and start killiní.

mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #91
rockspringshunt
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev002 View Post

Picked up the Sightmark Photon XT on Friday at Academy during the clearance sale.. got it for $125.

I have a .224 Valkyrie Iím going to put it on. Need to get to the range to sight it in, so I get get out there and start killiní.

Which academy did you get this from and did they have anymore?
rockspringshunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #92
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspringshunt View Post
Which academy did you get this from and did they have anymore?

This was at the Bunker Hill Academy in Houston. This was the only one they had. I went back and checked a few days later too.

mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #93
mudkat
Eight Point

Quote:
Oh man....that's good question. I honestly can't remember from when I was holding it at SHOT but I honestly think there is a + and - button right there on the top of the eyepiece that does the zoom in and zoom out. I know this....if it's buttons, it will be done by 2 buttons, zoom in and zoom out, you will not go into the menu for anything. I'm 99% sure the zoom in/zoom out buttons are right there on the rear above the eyepeice. Ill have to confirm that though.

Jason
Thanks! that sounds good to have zoom that way !
One thing I'm on the fence for the rifle scope style of thermals is it going to be like a regular scope that the crosshairs are always on the gun canted to one side or the other LOL!.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #94
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspringshunt View Post
Anyone ever night hunt for axis deer? wondering if I'd be better going with night vision or thermal. Wondering if you could see the spots on its coat at 100yds with night vision? Using thermal can you see antlers? Thanks for any help
I have hunted Axis in Junction with thermal and real night vision. It works extremely well. I would recommend NV over thermal if Axis is your main quarry, because NV provides better PID (positive identification).

Here's a pretty bad cell phone pic of a herd of axis. This is a $4,000 NV monocular, and you can see antlers. You could see spots if you used a 3X NV scope or better. Thermal may or may not show the antlers, depending on whether the axis are in velvet, and whether the antlers soaked up any radiant heat from the sun at the end of the day.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM   #95
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

I get asked a lot about ATN and my thoughts. Hans and I decided it was time to discuss the topic on The Late Night Vision Show last week. You can check it out here or find it on any podcast app.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #96
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
I get asked a lot about ATN and my thoughts. Hans and I decided it was time to discuss the topic on The Late Night Vision Show last week. You can check it out here or find it on any podcast app.

EP. # 41 | ATN OPTICS: DISCUSSION AND OUR HONEST OPINIONS!!! - YouTube

Bout to get on the road from Billings, MT to Conrad, MT. 4.5 hrs of popcorn munching here I come!!!