Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 01-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Revelation
Nubbin' Buck

Default Fixed Broad head vs Mechanical ??

What is every ones thoughts on fixed broad heads vs mechanical ??
Mainly hunt white tail and pigs.
If you like fixed what are the best ??
If you like mechanical what are the best ??

Thanks Guys !!
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Welcome to the fire.

Lots of info out there (the search function can be a bit finnicky but is very useful) and the topic is hotly debated, especially amongst certain brands. A lot of it is based on personal experience/preference. Try a few of each and come to your own conclusion. It's pretty fun trying the diff heads. Started bowhunting last year and am still doing the same thing.

I had good experiences with the Rage Hypos, though, I eventually switched to fixed. Currently shooting Muzzy 4 blades and have some SlickTricks "on-deck."

Also, either fixed/mechanical will work fine for any animals we've got around here.

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 01-02-2019 at 03:08 PM.
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
dbpredator
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lamar county

You'll get many different opinions on broadheads. I have only tried a few different brands of broadheads and now shoot 3 blade muzzys. One of the cheapest, great penetration and great blood trails on the animals I've shot.

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk
dbpredator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

Thanks Guys !!
what are you shooting (bow make and model)?
Arrow weight?
Draw length?
Draw weight?

Then we can make an educated recommendation for you.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Thunder Heads are the 30/30 of broadheads. Millions of deer have been killed with them
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
antiparadigm
Four Point

I have the Muzzy MX-3 and the NAP spitfire double-cross. Both are amazing. I'll be doing a plywood video soon of each to satiate my curiosity. Both have taken lives, the Spitfire DC were brutal on the wound channel, and the Muzzy blow through anything. That being said, I shot an 8 pointer two days ago with that 3 blade Muzzy and he walked away from it. It passed through, completely.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:

Thanks Guys !!
When you say "the best", that boils down to someones opinion. I would narrow my decision to American made products regardless of fb or exp.

I shoot 75gr Wasp Bullets. Never had a failure, that's over 10 years of using them. Right beside them I have used some expandables for longer than that. All American made products.

If I had to narrow it down I would use the 75grWasp Bullets or the 85gr Thunderheads.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Revelation
Nubbin' Buck

I'm shooting a Vertix and Triax.
64 lb pull
29" draw
Blackeagle - Rampage arrow -350 / .001
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Fixed here.
I’m a huge fan of the muzzy trocar switch. also magnus stingers.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
RanchFairy
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

The magnus black hornet ser razor 125 4 blade has been one of the most destructive high production heads I've ever shot. It just keeps producing.

Here's one of my reviews, including autopsy on a pretty good pig.
http://youtu.be/8tRo1QD2iJA

Here's a discussion of why I think the hornet is above average (other than Magnus as a company is awesome and they back their stuff up).
http://youtu.be/GIOM2WKTUCU

This fairy has a background in respiratory therapy, put simply, "RT is the study of keeping people from dying with holes and disease processes in the cardio thoracic region".
Broadheads make holes in the cardio thoracic region. So, it's Respiratory therapy in reverse!!

Stay tuned!!

Last edited by RanchFairy; 01-02-2019 at 07:53 PM.
RanchFairy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
Johnny44
Ten Point

Fixed VPA or BoltCutter for me. I only double lung, they are usually asleep within forty yards. Hogs, sometimes I will just shoot right through the shoulders.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Quote:

Thanks Guys !!

I prefer the mechanical advantage of two blade heads. My heads of choice are the 175 grain Simmons Tiger Shark and the 225 grain Strickland Helix. I also liked the RFA Razor Hawk 125 when it was still in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
JB_Archery
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

If you’re going to take the time to broadhead tune your bow (which is the best method for most success with a bow to get the straightest arrow flight and best penetration) then fixed is always best and I prefer QAD Exodus 100 grain swept blades. I’ve shot an axis buck through both shoulders with a clean pass through.

If shooting mechanical I’ve had my best luck with Vortex Broadheads 2.5” cutting diameter. Perfect for white tails.

Now I would say arrow weight and FOC are way important then broadhead choice.
JB_Archery is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: zavala county/pecos county

I like rocket sidewinders and wasp jackhammers

Like a ballistic tip for arrows
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

The argument is usually going to come down to penetration. I shot fixed(t- heads, muzzy, slick tricks) heads for years. On deer and hog size game my question was always" how many times do I need to shoot thru this animal?" because with my set up I'd blow it thru 'em and stick it 6 inches in the ground. Switched to mechanicals( rage hypos) and still get complete pass thru's unless I hit an opposite shoulder and if that happens the improved blood trail is well worth the trade off. Plus, the improved accuracy and less hassle with tuning head aches is well worth it. Oh, my set up: stronger vanquish 62#, ce mayhems( 380 grains) 100 grain rage hypos
whakm is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #16
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Archery View Post

Now I would say arrow weight and FOC are way important then broadhead choice.
Not necessarily, broadhead design has a pretty profound impact on penetration. In actuality head design, mass weight and FOC are all very important maybe even equal to some extent. The best approach is clearly to maximize all three and is what most of the discriminating folks out there do. There are without a doubt plausible circumstances where a lighter arrow with lower FOC equipped with a higher efficiency head can and will out penetrate a heavier higher FOC arrow using a head with a less efficient design. Worst case scenarios include head failure all together regardless of FOC or mass weight. Itís really about .(1) the integrity of the complete system and (2) the maximum killing potential of the build. Itís how the pieces of the puzzle fit and more importantly how they influence one another in achieving terminal performance.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 PM   #17
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Both. Just can’t beat the effectiveness of a rage on animals. But I also like to play with fixed blades and also use them to make sure my bow is tuned and shooting straight. Can’t go wrong with a thunderhead or a black hornet.

That said I also have 2 simmons in the quiver to use on hogs, a 190 gr 2” and a 175 gr 1 5/8”
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #18
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm shooting a Vertix and Triax.
64 lb pull
29" draw
Blackeagle - Rampage arrow -350 / .001
With that delivery system you have plenty of potential energy to shoot what you like, either fixed or mechanical. So it really does come down to personal choice.

Like others have said, there is more to an arrow than what you screw on to the front, mass and FOC play important roles as well.

I really like the hybrid mechanical designs we are seeing like the Rage Extreme and others, even though I am more partial to cut on contact heads like the Magnus Stinger 4 blade myself.

Pigs are tough and your arrow will be hitting a moving target, but again, with your bow/draw length/poundage you shouldn't have a problem using either style.

So, for me a mechanical would be like the Rage 4 blade Extreme and for fixed I shoot the Magnus Stinger 4 blade.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #19
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Iíve shot both over the years. My personal choice for my set up is NAP Killzones for mech and Slick tricks for fixed. Youíre gonna get a lot of answers on this and will probably evolve into some back and forth arguing but I think youíre good either way as long as your BH is sharp and as long as you can put your arrows where you are aiming and are aiming in the right spot.

HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #20
LCall47
Spike

fixed muzzys are my tried and true. they dont have the chance to mess up like a mechanical.
LCall47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
Iíve shot both over the years. My personal choice for my set up is NAP Killzones for mech and Slick tricks for fixed. Youíre gonna get a lot of answers on this and will probably evolve into some back and forth arguing but I think youíre good either way as long as your BH is sharp and as long as you can put your arrows where you are aiming and are aiming in the right spot.

This is totally accurate. I'm a Rage guy, have shot them for years with one mishap that was all my fault. Don't get caught up in the debate of what is best. Find you something you like and take it for a test drive. I've been down the road of trial and error and landed on Rages because I like the huge wounds and amazing blood trails. I've found deer on marginal shots that I feel were credited to 2"+ wound. My one mishap was because I bought a pack of the Rage Extremes and didn't shoot one before I went hunting. Turns out the blades were too long for my arrows and the blade hit the rest when I drew back causing it to open. Luckily it was just a turkey, but I think I sent that arrow into orbit.. never did find it.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Mechanicals are WAAAAAAY better than fixed. Especially the 85gr with a 3” cut moving at 350fps
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrophy85 View Post
I like rocket sidewinders and wasp jackhammers

Like a ballistic tip for arrows
Good choices.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #24
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Heavy arrow, high FOC, tuned bow and broadheads on straight and sharp and you confidence in your ability to put the arrow where it needs to be are my go to facts for me.

595 grain arrow, 20% FOC and a Ramcat 125 grain head seem to work for me the best.

Lots of choices and lots of variable, but there are some top notch guys on here that can help you thru any problems you have such as Muddyfuzzy and Rat. Ranchfairy has some good info on youtube.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #25
mastercraftka
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

no mechanical for me, I guide and have seen many failures. I know the do work but not willing to take the chance on it not opening or a broken rubberband. my 2 cents.
Attached Images

mastercraftka is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

This is pure preference discussion but here is how I chose: if I don’t want to tune and spend time uniquely tuning each arrow and spend hours shooting the broadheads. I normally then will chose mechanical for medium to small game. For big game and if I really want confidence in my combinations. I go fixed, all day.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #27
Cst018
Spike

Hunt In: Kimble

Rage hypos for me but have had success with muzzys and slick tricks. In the end shot placement and having confidence in what you shoot is the most important.
Cst018 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #28
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I see you didnt waste anytime opening a can of worms lol..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #29
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

2 words........shot placement!

Lots of choices out there so use what you’re comfortable with using or experimenting with. I prefer spitfires.
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #30
Ttechhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes Co.

QAD Exodus and don’t look back!
Ttechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #31
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I've used both. I love the blood trails I normally get from big 2 blade mechanicals.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #32
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Ramcats will probably fly as good as any mechanical made. I shot them out of vey underspined set up with no problems. It was way, way underspined but they still flew like darts and shot with my field points.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #33
Big Ace
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttechhunter View Post
QAD Exodus and donít look back!
I love this head. Flies true and a killer. I shot through a bull Nilgaiís shoulder blades (both of them) and the broad head still looked good and was fairly sharp. Shooting 550 grains out of a 74lb draw @ 29Ē. 2 perfect Mercedes-Benz emblems through hide, muscle, and bone.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #34
TxStrong
Four Point

Hunt In: Comal Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttechhunter View Post
QAD Exodus and donít look back!

This
TxStrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #35
TxSon1836
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

I have heard that FB will have a slightly different flight path and might take some tuning. Mechanicals are going to fly like field tips.
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #36
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

It's like asking "what is a pretty woman".........
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #37
antiparadigm
Four Point

So... My two cents... I have so far been shooting mostly the Muzzy MX-3 three blade broadheads, and as a backup have been testing the NAP Spitfire Double-cross Mechanical.

Last week I pulled up on and fired at a nice Hill country buck, (ground blind, shoot-through mesh) and after I let the arrow fly, although I didn't see where it hit, (mesh) I heard it hit hard. He leaped into the air and ran off. I was expecting to see a blood trail as he ran but didn't. I gave it about 30 minutes to see if they would come back thinking that maybe I actually had missed or just grazed him.I got out of the blinding and went and found my arrow laying on the ground, covered in blood. I know I hit him and I hit him hard, but I can't help but think that if I had used the mechanical blades that having almost twice The cutting diameter I could have hit something more vital than I did, or at least kept him from running off.

Last year I put one of the Spitfire double cross through a doe, and it left a gaping wound in the chest. She walked maybe 10 yards before she fell over dead.

I know it's all speculation and a better shot placement would have made all the difference, but in those cases where your deer just moves and a tad and shot placement is not ideal a mechanical blade system could create just enough damage to stop a deer, or leave enough blood trail to track them down...

Long story short I think there's definitely a place for both broadheads and neither should be discounted. Best practices to buy some and try them yourself. Mechanical broadheads have come a long way since their inception.

I'm going to do some videos soon comparing the two broadheads I have and scoring each.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #38
antiparadigm
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiparadigm View Post
So... My two cents... I have so far been shooting mostly the Muzzy MX-3 three blade broadheads, and as a backup have been testing the NAP Spitfire Double-cross Mechanical.

Last week I pulled up on and fired at a nice Hill country buck, (ground blind, shoot-through mesh) and after I let the arrow fly, although I didn't see where it hit, (mesh) I heard it hit hard. He leaped into the air and ran off. I was expecting to see a blood trail as he ran but didn't. I gave it about 30 minutes to see if they would come back thinking that maybe I actually had missed or just grazed him.I got out of the blinding and went and found my arrow laying on the ground, covered in blood. I know I hit him and I hit him hard, but I can't help but think that if I had used the mechanical blades that having almost twice The cutting diameter I could have hit something more vital than I did, or at least kept him from running off.

Last year I put one of the Spitfire double cross through a doe, and it left a gaping wound in the chest. She walked maybe 10 yards before she fell over dead.

I know it's all speculation and a better shot placement would have made all the difference, but in those cases where your deer just moves and a tad and shot placement is not ideal a mechanical blade system could create just enough damage to stop a deer, or leave enough blood trail to track them down...

Long story short I think there's definitely a place for both broadheads and neither should be discounted. Best practices to buy some and try them yourself. Mechanical broadheads have come a long way since their inception.

I'm going to do some videos soon comparing the two broadheads I have and scoring each.

Oh, by the way, never found him...

Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #39
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSon1836 View Post
I have heard that FB will have a slightly different flight path and might take some tuning. Mechanicals are going to fly like field tips.
Really, this is a tuning issue more than a broadhead design choice.

If fixed blade heads do not hit with fieldpoints then you are not done tuning.

This should be the goal whether you are shooting fixed or mechanical, a well tuned bow and arrow will be far more forgiving and deadly than one that is out of tune.

Having said that, if you do not have the skill to get it all tuned perfectly, then I believe a mechanical will help in that situation. But the goal should be to have everything tuned well.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #40
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Both work good . But if you are hunting elevated I would use a Fix Blade like A Nap Hell razer are G5 Montec . Hunting out of ground blinds I prefer Nap kill Zones are Executioner broadheads .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top