Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #51
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeperot View Post
I went cold turkey 2 years ago in sept. smoked for 30+years and had to quit or die. I quit on a hunting trip
to colorado. while we were to far to just run into town. set a goal from week to week or month to month and stick to it.
bad thing is I told myself the money saved from smoking I could spend on guns so I bought a big gun safe and have
just about filled it and still looking. the gun purchases have really helped me quit by turning smoke into a nice gun collection. I sure breath a lot better now.

Was going to do the same thing with dipping. My wife said the savings will go in the checking account, not to more guns.....so I have just kept on dipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #52
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

I tried every prescription and OTC drug there was, when Tina wanted me to quit. None of them worked.

When I decided that I wanted to quit, I quit cold turkey and never looked back.

YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Was going to do the same thing with dipping. My wife said the savings will go in the checking account, not to more guns.....so I have just kept on dipping

Well that's a great reason to not stop!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #53
Jabsabmab
Nubbin' Buck

Open drawer at wk about to go on break, threw em in trash walked around building for 15 minutes. That was 15 yrs ago.
Jabsabmab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #54
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County

I quit smoking cigarettes 6 years ago by vaping.
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #55
Mbbriggs05
Four Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine

Mental.....once you truly make up your mind you have it beat. Did it with the Cope and wife did with Marlboro
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #56
cbarnes
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Wife and I both quit with vaping. Started out with pretty high nicotine level. Now 0 nicotine and has been 3 years without a cigarette, and 18 months nicotine free.
cbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #57
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

You'll probably get a bunch of good advice! In my experience.... don't mess around, just QUIT. It really helps to start getting rid of the positive thoughts connected with smoking. The taste, relaxation, etc. Replace them with negative thoughts: the cost, the stink, the stains, health problems, the coughing and spitting up, etc. It's hard to stop smoking when you're thinking about how wonderful a smoke is.

Get rid of anything in your house or car related to smoking. Anything.

Distract yourself with hobbies, going to movies, working in your shop, whatever. Stop thinking about it. If you can do this for about a week, you're home free. 2 weeks and you've got it whipped!

And careful about weight gain; it's real easy to substitute food for cigarettes.

You can do it!!
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #58
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Step one: want to quit
Step two: stop buying them!!
Step three: stick to step one and donít give up!

I quit 10 years ago and it wasnít easy, but when I stopped buying them and told my friends and coworkers not to let me bum from then I eventually developed a strong dislike for them.
Cold turkey worked for me although I slipped up a few times but about halfway through that cig I put it out because it actually tasted gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #59
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

Used snuff. Best way to quit is to quit. Don't substitute. Cold turkey and will power. Never pick up one again.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #60
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
For me what finally worked was telling myself that if I had one more I would die. I was overweight. Smoked too much. Drank too much and had high blood pressure. I had quit before but it never felt like it was permanent when I made that pledge it felt real. I wit on my 39th birthday on January 18th that will be ten years I havenít had a cig since then. I havenít drank in nearly two years and I have lost 150 pounds you can do it. You just have to make it serious and be willing to change your life. Thatís what worked for me. Hope it works for you. Good luck

Bud.
Awesome! And you have the same birthday as me!
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #61
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

I did Chantex but it took 2 times didnít finish to the very last pill 1st time but
2nd time I did, just DO NOT take pill on empty stomach, take with A food . Every-time, tried everything else to stop to no avail

Been about 10 yrs now
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #62
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Read the book The Easy Way To Quit Smoking by Alan Carr
Texas Tracker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #63
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

When you decide to quit you’ll quit! It’s all on you. We can only give our perspective as to our motivations to quit but when you decide your done only then will you have the will power to do it!
I quit drinking cold turkey after a dwi. I just knew it was time.
I quit smoking when I got to the point I couldn’t do anything without gasping for air. I was always in good shape till then. Again I knew it was time.
I quit dipping cold turkey. Just made up my mind I was done. That was the absolute hardest. I wanted a dip of snuff every single **** day for a solid year! But again, I knew it was time!

Now if I could only get my eating under control!!!! Havnt quite made up my mind yet but I know it’s time and it’s all on me!

Good luck! Stay strong!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #64
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
I did Chantex but it took 2 times didnít finish to the very last pill 1st time but

2nd time I did, just DO NOT take pill on empty stomach, take with A food . Every-time, tried everything else to stop to no avail

Been about 10 yrs now
Chantix here too. Cut my cravings at least 60%. 30 year habit. This time for good. Been at least 4 years now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #65
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Sitting in an ER bed with your blood pressure at 218/106 and your wife and daughter in a chair looking at you helpless. (which smoking wasn't the only cause but it wasn't helping)

Threw them out 2 days later and never looked again and haven't had the urge either.
Feel great, more energy and can breathe again.

Been 3.5 months and wish I had done it sooner.

Gum, seeds, toothpicks. Its not a need for nicotine with me, it was more of habit of doing something.
Jaybo31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #66
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Come spend a day with me. I smoked from 13 to 45. Did 3 paks a day.
I now have to rest so I can breath every 50 feet or so.
I cannot play with my great grand children.
then they say 5 years.
Im 64.
But until you decide to quit its an uphill run.
When you quit set goals like Im good for 2 days then go for 3 and so on.
I quit 20 years ago and I still get the urge at the dangest times like 3 am.
Luck and prayers to you brother.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #67
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I am 5 months free from smoking. I quit several times in the past only to start again. I got a prescription for welbutrin for two months that helped. I still want a smoke from time to time, mainly if I am having a beer. I haven't cheated though. I think that you really have to want to quit and have the right mindset to break the habit. I wish you the best of luck. I already feel better since quitting.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #68
EastTxTracking
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: East Texas, south

Iíve tried Chantix and Wellbutrin but they havenít worked for me yet. Think itís just because in my head I ďwasnít readyĒ. Itís fixing to be time for me to put them down. At work itís just so easy since I work outside. And for the people saying it kills you, yea and so does driving, cell phone,Ēs, and old age. My uncle was smoke free his entire 42 years and never lived with smokers and still passed away due to lung cancer. And Iíve also known people who smoked their entire life and never got cancer.

EastTxTracking is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #69
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I struggled with tobacco for over 30 years. I would substitute one form for another, repeat.

In 2008 I quit it all, cold turkey, and haven't looked back. That is the only thing that worked for me.

Last edited by grizzman; 01-05-2019 at 11:35 AM.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #70
TXpatriot
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: west central TX

Good luck!
TXpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 02:37 AM   #71
DanielLee5
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradman1971 View Post
Vape!!
Good advice, by the way. My uncle and I successfuly gave up smoking due to e-cigs. Vape pens still contain nicotine, but the dose is very little meanwhile the price is rather loyal comparing to cigarettes. If you want to vape 100% safe and nicotine-free, you can always switch to vaporizers (I currently use airis vaporizer ), happily the assortment is really huge, for different budgets. The money saving is very significant, and damage to health is close to zero.
DanielLee5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 AM   #72
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Don't vape, E-cig, dip, chew, or chew nicotine gum. I quit smoking (Cold Turkey) after 12 years of Marlboro Reds and Lights. I was going through 1-2 packs a day at the end. That was almost 30 years ago. Just quit and don't do it again...ever. Remember, if you're thinking about it, you've already seen its a problem. Don't wuss out and say "maybe just when I drink" either.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #73
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Just seeing this so hopefully you are still trying or have quit. I quit April 2018 after smoking for 45+ years (I'm 63...). Did the patch starting with the strongest patch for a couple of weeks, then the next patch for a couple then started the lower one and said screw it. Quit them too

Had some level of urge most days to smoke. Just kept saying NO!! Now I don't even think about it and hate the smell. Wife quit a month and a half later but she has smoked again but says she isn't going to any more. Well see...

Last February my oldest sister (life long smoker) was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell carcinoma and given 6-8 months to live. Treatments are working well and she hasn't died yet. YET!! With small cell it's only a matter of time...

All I can say is quit. Patch, gum, vape, cold turkey, murderous rampage, whatever, just quit!!

God bless brother
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #74
ktjones
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville

Good luck. I stopped chewing cold turkey 5+ weeks ago. You can do it. First few days were the roughest. I chose to stop on a work trip. Made it easier for those first few days - as I was with co-workers and customers, I *had* to be nice while going through the first stages of withdrawals. Chew gum, drink lots of water. You can do it! KJ
ktjones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #75
Cullstuff
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos

I smoked for 8 years and also dipped for half that time. My mother told me she wished I would quit for her as a mother's day gift. I tried to quit that first year cold turkey and couldnt make it, I went crazy.

The second mothers day she had the same idea. I wore the step 1 patch (like 24mg of nicotine) for 3 days. During that time i sucked on a golf tee and chewed lots of gum and was also going to the gym twice a day. I was also underweight so i ate more as well to try and fill the void. When I took the patch off after day 3 it was still a struggle, i did as many activites i could to sweat and drink as much water. I was succesful on that attempt which was my second serious attempt to quit. 5 years tobacco free!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Cullstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #76
Cullstuff
Six Point

Edit ^*
I also asked God for help. I tried to quit on my own and failed several times. I knew i needed help. Also, i kept a photograph of black lungs on my phone, and would routinely look at the pic as a way to "brainwash" myself into seeing what tabacco really is. Instead of something I truelly enjoyed I began to have clarity and see it as that death machine it really is. This took some time.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #77
Das71198
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

I started my Copenhagen free journey on Tuesday. The struggle is real, but I am not giving up.
Das71198 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #78
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I quit in 85 after almost 30y...Tried and tried ...The answer is Never pick up another ....cause one leads to another...Good Luck
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #79
Oddin
Nubbin' Buck

I won my nicotine addiction about a year ago. The first 3 weeks were the hardest, I thought I would give in, I tried to quit 4 times before and relapsed every time. I used everything that could motivate me, btw, there are a lot of good tips on how to quit smoking on VapingDaily. Also, itís nice when there is somebody how can support you, and I appreciate my familyís help, they all put up with my irritability and bad mood.
Stay strong, you can do this. Good luck!
Oddin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #80
Huntingfool
Eight Point

I quit cold turkey 40 years ago - the day I quit was the day I started exercising (running) - been running 3 times per week now for 40 years. Just changed from one habit to another habit

Also the best advice I was given was by a professor in college - he told me to never quit trying to quit smoking. He said if you try and fail then wait a bit and try again - eventually it will take

Good luck
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #81
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

closing in on day 21 smoke free. Just stop. Gum or vapes to get you over the hump. Don't ever start again
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #82
Double-O-Dave
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a lease

I smoked my last cigarette on Oct. 19, 1988. I was 32 yrs. old at the time and was smoking 2-3 packs/day. I went through a structured program "Smokenders", that my workplace paid for. I didn't really intend to quit - my wife was on a diet at the time and her weight loss had stopped, so I was going to be a good gun and suffer along with her for a few weeks, then start smoking again. The program got me to understand the psychological as well as the physical addictions to nicotine. Of the two, the psychological addiction is much, much stronger.

The physical addiction ends after 7-10 days after you quit using tobacco, but the psychological addiction is always there, and you have to learn to fight it. I remember being very grouchy for a day or two after I quit smoking, and then one day I realized that it was no one's fault but my own, and that I needed to quit acting like a jerk. I've been happy and smoke free since then.

I wish you peace and good luck in your journey. Strength as well, as you know what you are doing is right and proper.

Best wishes,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #83
justindfw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney public land

Not to hijack but I tried chantix and it made my stomach hurt. Anyone else have that?
justindfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #84
Colonel_Reb
Spike

Hunt In: Hunt Co. / MS / CTX

I agree with everyone's comments about the mental state. However, something that helped me quit dipping was preparing mentally for certain triggers or avoiding them all together. What I mean by that is, I used to dip at least three times per day one at lunch, one right after work, and then right after dinner. To avoid those trigger times I would have activities planned. I started working out after dinner, I avoided where I dipped during lunch, and cleaned the house or a gun right after work. The hardest for me was the pressure felt when I hung out with buddies who dip or smoke. For that, I would just have to tell myself you are stronger than this don't do it. Sounds simple but it's not. Avoid alcohol in the beginning. It will erode your judgement and you will convince yourself one or two won't get me back on the train. Good luck! You are making a good choice.
Colonel_Reb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #85
hog_down
Ten Point

Met a guy with a hole in his throat, and said to ' get off the **it ' or I'll have one just like him. He also had to take it out to take a shower, and if he got water in it, he would drown. Changed my mind immediately.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #86
clintb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county

3 packs a day for 33 years here. I tried everything there is at one time or another. You have got to want it or it won't happen. I have been smoke free for 10 months now and what helped me this time was vaping. I did it slowly and decreased my nicotine a week at a time until it was nothing. Then it was just force of habit. I am completely smoke and vape free now. My last real smoke was April 16, 2018. You can do this.
clintb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #87
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

I am on week one now myself. Bring the patch this time and I have no cravings. I feel as if I am already a non smoker, just got to get the body in line with the mind.

good luck to you.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #88
hog_down
Ten Point

Wellbutrin also helped me too, forgot to mention
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #89
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

For many, the 1st step is to stop buying it.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #90
HubCityThumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry County, sofa

Vape is the only thing that has helped me
HubCityThumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #91
JHT
Pope & Young

Last Saturday was 8 weeks for me.
I have terrible allergies. No issues in 8 weeks.
No weight gain and cardio at the gym is insanely easier.

I can't stand the smell of them now. I don't think I ever noticed it before but when someone is driving & smoking in front of me I roll the windows up.

I had tried everything. I had every excuse in the book. I made it a year and a half smoke free but dove back in. It was always some weak excuse.

December 27, 2018 I spent the day at MD Anderson while my gal was having some minor surgery. Benign stuff removed. I spent the day there. Seeing very little children being wheeled around yellow from the chemo barely being able to hold on to their parents fingers is very hard to un-see. They got dealt a bad hand and are fighting for their lives.

Then sitting in the waiting room listening to 3-4 people with holes in their necks talking to each other is a sight I can't un-see. They were all smokers. They did this to themselves.

I have kids. What am I doing to myself? I am an idiot.

Left the hospital and right there was my old friends. I stared at them the whole way home wanting one. Got home and still stared at them. I wanted one bad. Grabbed the pack and watered them down in the sink.

The cravings went away. Every time I wanted one those images came back up in my head. Plus the happiness on my kids faces when they see me not smoking.

Being scared straight worked for me.
JHT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #92
Cullstuff
Six Point

What are you doing driving around with a pack of smokes when you are trying to quit!!??

Something you said reminded me of something I did to help change my viewof smoking. I downloaded pictures of blackened lungs and effects of smoking and would look at them daily. This was one of the ways I retrained my brain to see them for what they really are.