Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #51
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

What's there to think about?
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #52
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
No, we aren’t MLD. We have a little over a 100 ac total. That being said, there is a few hundred more around us that isn’t hunted, or is only hunted a few times a season. I know most of the neighbors that do hunt, and very few if any bow hunt, so does tend to not get killed in our area. It’s not uncommon to see 8-20 does. In fact, we have a group of 10 or so doe that consistently hang out around our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super easy to join LCWMA and get doe tags.

Honestly I hope they don't change it. Giving everyone 2 extra tags will hurt our population in lavaca county
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #53
FCoDxDart
Six Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...
I could agree with this sentiment. I think a 1 doe limit would be appropriate.
FCoDxDart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards and Lavaca co.

I don't think it will have much effect in my area of northern Lavaca. But I do see that it could dramatically lower the deer population in many other areas.

I just don't think the participation will be that high in my area, but if it is, then our deer population will definitely suffer. The people in my area who care about the deer and hunting are already MLD and get doe permits, so I don't think its going to change much.

I have not used my doe permits in 5 years because our overall population has been way down and is just now getting back to normal levels.
Txdeerhunter243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #55
Huntin Addict
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr and Colorado Counties

Good Morning,

So last night we had our scoping meeting here in Colorado County, we had 22 people show up and basically it was a50/50 split on yes or no. I lean on the "NO" side due to the continued positive direction that our WMA's have been making on deer management in the county.

What I did learn, that I do like, is that TPWD is also considering a mandatory reporting of the doe harvest.

Now this is for all seasons
Archery
Youth
Rifle
Muzzleloader
.....All of them.
So if you use an antlerless tag off of your annual license you would be required to report that using the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" Website or App. You would have 24hrs to get tis accomplished. If this is not done then, if checked, you could receive a Class C Misdemeanor citation with a fee of $25 - $500 per violation.

For me as a Landowner, hunter, and WMA President here in Colorado County I would be able to have a better grasp of how this new "Doe Day" regulation is effecting our county and if it needs to be changed. It also will provide better data as to how many does are being killed in the county other than what is being reported by the current WMA members. All in all better data in better decisions can be made.
Huntin Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #56
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin Addict View Post
Good Morning,

So last night we had our scoping meeting here in Colorado County, we had 22 people show up and basically it was a50/50 split on yes or no. I lean on the "NO" side due to the continued positive direction that our WMA's have been making on deer management in the county.

What I did learn, that I do like, is that TPWD is also considering a mandatory reporting of the doe harvest.

Archery
Youth
Rifle
Muzzleloader
.....All of them.
So if you use an antlerless tag off of your annual license you would be required to report that using the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" Website or App. You would have 24hrs to get tis accomplished. If this is not done then, if checked, you could receive a Class C Misdemeanor citation with a fee of $25 - $500 per violation.

For me as a Landowner, hunter, and WMA President here in Colorado County I would be able to have a better grasp of how this new "Doe Day" regulation is effecting our county and if it needs to be changed. It also will provide better data as to how many does are being killed in the county other than what is being reported by the current WMA members. All in all better data in better decisions can be made.
What did they say was the hold capacity of Colorado county?

They said for Lavaca is 1 per 20acres. That seems crazy to me.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #57
Huntin Addict
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
What did they say was the hold capacity of Colorado county?

They said for Lavaca is 1 per 20acres. That seems crazy to me.
The individual I am paraphrasing really didn't want to place a hard number to answer this question. He was more explanatory with the fact that each part of Colorado county will vary on carrying capacity. However after being pressed he mentioned the 1 per 17 acres as a blanket statement.

Just like Lavaca County, Colorado have a very diversified landscape, in the south of the county we have rice fields, corn fields, row crops of every shape and size. The carrying capacity of those lands could be up to 1 per 50 acres. Then you move over to my area, Colorado River bottom and the carrying capacity could be 1 to 9acres. We move to the Northern part of the county it could be around 1 to 11 acres.
Its all about habitat, habitat, habitat.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #58
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Good Morning,

Archery
Youth
Rifle
Muzzleloader
.....All of them.

Can you shoot antlerless deer during muzzleloaders season in these counties? I guess youth can during the first youth season since that technically is still during archery season, or no?
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #59
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...
Found this interesting part in an article that goes more in depth about this regulation change here http://orwma.org/wp-content/uploads/...Supplement.pdf

Quote:
Beginning around 1985, biologists saw a need for antlerless harvest throughout much of District 7. In 1985, permits first became available to landowners by going to the local courthouse and obtaining permits from the TPWD biologist. Issuance was based on landowner size. It is important to note that most of these countieswere 1 buck only counties and had been for a lengthy period.
In 1990, TPWD initiated doe days across much of District 7. Ten counties in the upper portion of the district implemented 4 day doe seasons, while 7 counties in the lower portion implemented 18 day doe seasons (Figure 3). Some counties were divided with areas within the county having a 4 day season while other areas had 18 day seasons. Another aspect of the seasons was that the days were split between the opening weekend and a second weekend sometime later in the season. So, in the 4 day areas, hunters were allowed to harvest doe the first 2 days of general season and a later 2 days in the general season. The same was implemented with the 18 day seasons being split 9 and 9. Bag limits for these eighteen counties was set at 2 antlerless deer per hunter. Seven counties closer to the coast implemented full season antlerless harvest with bag limits set at 4 per hunter. Stories from this time period indicate that the second split of doe days was like a ‘second opening day’ with very high hunting pressure. In 1991, the antlerless season was slightly modified. Five counties that were in the 4 day season were reduced to a 2 day antlerless season. These counties included Austin, Lee, Waller, and Washington as well as the eastern half of Colorado County (Figure 4). Bag limits remained at 2 per hunter. Starting in 1993, antlerless seasons ceased throughout most of District 7, with the areas south of U.S. HWY 59 being the exception,
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #60
Red Man
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction/ Columbus/Shelby/Clinton,Mo

Texas parks and wildlife officials like to repeat ideas that don’t work. Just ask people that fish for bass on lake conroe. Lots of small acreage in Austin fayette Washington and Colorado county will result in overharvest and slow repopulation. Couple that with a fairly high number of predators and we will have a priblem not seen since 1993.
Red Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #61
bossbowman
Ten Point

Be interesting to see how the public comment is skewed for or against regulation change. Up until now I can only remember them back peddle on proposed deer reg changes twice 2009 introducing gun season to Grayson/Dallas/Rockwell counties and last year them extending general season into middle of January in north texas same so it was uniform with south texas. In both cases there was heavy public opposition.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #62
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

I hunt Lee Co., and currently can only shoot a doe during the Archery-Only season. Ridiculous. Should be all season. This proposal is at least something in the right direction.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #63
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Be interesting to see how the public comment is skewed for or against regulation change. Up until now I can only remember them back peddle on proposed deer reg changes twice 2009 introducing gun season to Grayson/Dallas/Rockwell counties and last year them extending general season into middle of January in north texas same so it was uniform with south texas. In both cases there was heavy public opposition.
Well I should back track on the public opposition to extending the north texas deer season, there was actually 91% in favor via the public comment, it was the quail hunters and interest who got that stopped last year apparently.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #64
Hockley
Eight Point

I will chime in. I don't like the idea after mulling over it. I remember when they did this in the 90's as well, and it did put a huge dent in our deer population. I personally think youths should be allowed to kill ONE doe during youth season.

That being said, I would be for it on my exact place, but my place has 10x the deer as a place 5 miles down the road. Point is it doesn't make sense for the whole area. Sounds like the state doesn't want to deal with MLD tags.

I personally believe that the state needs to step up and address the fragmentation of land and hunting. I would like to see something put into place where you have to have at least X amount of acres to hunt. I would LOVE to see all places get MLD tags based on acreage, but I realize this would never happen.

I know for a fact that a family a mile down the road from me killed 5 bucks during Thanksgiving weekend in 2017. They were hunting less than a 30 acre cow pasture, and I know at least one of those bucks was under 13"....

So I am strongly against it! Where can I comment online?

Last edited by Hockley; 12-21-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #65
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
I will chime in. I don't like the idea after mulling over it. I remember when they did this in the 90's as well, and it did put a huge dent in our deer population. I personally think youths should be allowed to kill ONE doe during youth season.

That being said, I would be for it on my exact place, but my place has 10x the deer as a place 5 miles down the road. Point is it doesn't make sense for the whole area. Sounds like the state doesn't want to deal with MLD tags.

I personally believe that the state needs to step up and address the fragmentation of land and hunting. I would like to see something put into place where you have to have at least X amount of acres to hunt. I would LOVE to see all places get MLD tags based on acreage, but I realize this would never happen.

I know for a fact that a family a mile down the road from me killed 5 bucks during Thanksgiving weekend in 2017. They were hunting less than a 30 acre cow pasture, and I know at least one of those bucks was under 13"....

I thought youths were allowed to shoot antlerless in these counties during the early youth season the weekend before general season but they're not per the outdoor annual
Quote:
, the bag, tag and permit requirements are the same as for the first two days of the general
season in the county
As for your second part it could happen, other states landowners have to put in and draw for a set # of tag for a given county and part of it is based on the amount of acreage you own, some years you might get a tag/tags, some years you might not, the prevents the problem of someone shooting a @#*&load of deer on a 15 acre spot.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #66
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
As for your second part it could happen, other states landowners have to put in and draw for a set # of tag for a given county and part of it is based on the amount of acreage you own, some years you might get a tag/tags, some years you might not, the prevents the problem of someone shooting a @#*&load of deer on a 15 acre spot.
I really wish this would happen, but I just don't think the state wants to tackle it.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #67
Turbo6
Spike

I think a doe should only be allowed to be taken before the rut.

Any post rut doe kills are potentially taking out 2-4 deer.
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #68
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
I think a doe should only be allowed to be taken before the rut.

Any post rut doe kills are potentially taking out 2-4 deer.
If you shoot them in october, those fawns will have never happened anyway, I don't get this way of thinking
Old 12-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #69
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I think you could kill a doe per day year round here in the hill country and never put a dent in the number. My daughters car, and my insurance company would appreciate it though.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #70
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
If you shoot them in october, those fawns will have never happened anyway, I don't get this way of thinking
If the problem is there are too many does and they are not all getting bred then killing them in pre rut is beneficial.

If the problem is too many deer in general then a late season doe is better.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #71
Deerguy
Eight Point

If the population and sex ratios have risen to the point that they are proposing a short doe season, then the area needs a doe season. Every single county that has started doe days went through the exact same argument that the small properties with thousands of hunters are going to decimate the deer population. All of them. Every singe one. Not one exception. And each time a new county proposes doe days, the exact same argument pops up. Yet for some reason, there still seems to be deer in all those counties. And the deer densities are still too high. And the sex ratios are still bad. If its to the point that everybody that simply joins a coop gets doe permits, then why not just make a short doe season so you don't have to jump through the hoops and create a bunch of paperwork? You can't do any real damage to a deer herd in 4 days. Plus, even if the hunting pressure is extreme in a few areas, the deer will learn to avoid those areas.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #72
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
If the problem is there are too many does and they are not all getting bred then killing them in pre rut is beneficial.

If the problem is too many deer in general then a late season doe is better.
I think in general since the antler restrictions all does not getting bred is not really an issue anymore. Our area went from around a 1-10 buck doe ratio in 2008 to now we actually have more bucks than does but its much closer to a 50/50 ratio than before.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #73
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
If the population and sex ratios have risen to the point that they are proposing a short doe season, then the area needs a doe season. Every single county that has started doe days went through the exact same argument that the small properties with thousands of hunters are going to decimate the deer population. All of them. Every single one. Not one exception. And each time a new county proposes doe days, the exact same argument pops up. Yet for some reason, there still seems to be deer in all those counties. And the deer densities are still too high. And the sex ratios are still bad. If its to the point that everybody that simply joins a coop gets doe permits, then why not just make a short doe season so you don't have to jump through the hoops and create a bunch of paperwork? You can't do any real damage to a deer herd in 4 days. Plus, even if the hunting pressure is extreme in a few areas, the deer will learn to avoid those areas.
As for my county(Lavaca) I don't believe TPWD numbers. I am seeing less and less deer and less does.

Lavaca County issues over 3k doe tags for last season and only 1100 were used.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #74
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Why don't tpw work on the hog problem instead. I'm against it.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #75
bossbowman
Ten Point

How many think 4 doe days during rifle season will be game over in these counties, will it really be like a 2nd season opener? I don't hunt this particular area but we did get picked for a draw hunt there in january, I can't imagine pressure thats that bad but maybe it is.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #76
rferg84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Already do this in several counties. Works well. Not nearly enough does are harvested in general IMHO.
Agree with that.

Our ratio in West Texas seems to be 4-1, it's probably not quite that bad but that my guess.
rferg84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #77
JMKro
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

We hunted on Rocky Creek south of Hallettsville back around 05'. One hunt I saw 33 does at one time. Literally.
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #78
Red Man
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction/ Columbus/Shelby/Clinton,Mo

Quote:
How many think 4 doe days during rifle season will be game over in these counties, will it really be like a 2nd season opener? I don't hunt this particular area but we did get picked for a draw hunt there in january, I can't imagine pressure thats that bad but maybe it is.
I think it will be game over in areas that have a low population already or a population that is struggling to recover. I can only speak on areas I have hunted ( Washington, Colorado, Fayette, and Austin) and many tracks, especially the area around Round Top to Brenham have high hunting pressure and low acreage. You kill 25%- 35% ofthe doe population in year one and you will have a big problem in upcoming years. Many of us have been down that road in the 90’s and remember having very low numbers. Now we get decent deer numbers in this area and we are ready to kill em again with a higher population of people in this area. Seems that is poor judgement in my opinion. I think allowing a single doe in year 1 would be much better than 2. Reassess and change again if need be.

I think also from what I am reading on hear is that counties on the southern and weatern boundaries can handle a doe season very easily while the eastern counties may not. Hopefully this will be taken into account with TPWD.
Red Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #79
JMKro
Four Point

Quote:
Texas parks and wildlife officials like to repeat ideas that don’t work. Just ask people that fish for bass on lake conroe. Lots of small acreage in Austin fayette Washington and Colorado county will result in overharvest and slow repopulation. Couple that with a fairly high number of predators and we will have a priblem not seen since 1993.
Hydrilla or the 16" size limit?
Old 12-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #80
JMKro
Four Point

Quote:

What do you think the minimum amount of acreage should be?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:25 AM   #81
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
What do you think the minimum amount of acreage should be?
30+
Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #82
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
We hunted on Rocky Creek south of Hallettsville back around 05'. One hunt I saw 33 does at one time. Literally.
What is wrong with this?
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #83
JMKro
Four Point

Quote:
30+
That would knock a lot of average guys who own land/want to own land but can't afford the big money places out of the game.

We had 46 acres in Gonzales County that we used for hunting and that was about it. Eventually, my Dad & I decided to get something more universal and closer to home (Austin County) that he could make into a weekend place while still giving me a place to hunt. This property is less than 25 acres, but still cost over $200,000 due to the location. And this was the cheapest per acre price we found in the area. A property down the road from us sold around the same time and was $11,000+ per acre. Some of the places for sale on the internet in the general area were $15,000+ an acre, and not for anything special.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #84
JMKro
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
What is wrong with this?
Believe me, I love seeing 30+ deer at a time, but there were 33 does and no bucks. That seems excessive, but I'm not an expert.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #85
Huntin Addict
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
What is wrong with this?
The issue with this number is, if you use a deer density of 10 acres to support 1 deer, those 33 deer need 330 acres to sustain a healthy population. At the time, I would be willing to bet that the density in that area was more like 5 acres to every 1 deer, this situation is not conducive to promote a healthy overall herd.

Quote:
Believe me, I love seeing 30+ deer at a time, but there were 33 does and no bucks. That seems excessive, but I'm not an expert.
I'm no expert either, but with this many does and, from what you are saying, no bucks or few bucks, what this causes is extreme stress on the bucks to try and cover all the does, (which doesn't happen) which translates into a smaller fawn crop which translates into less mature deer five years from now. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #86
doeboy11
Six Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Balcones Canyon Land Lee County

I combined my lease the lease next to it and the farmers next to that for a total of 400 acres. According to new MLD rules= 1 doe tag. The farmer used to get 3-5 tags 2-3 years ago and he would put down less deer than he saw.
Example
Monday night=20 deer
Wednesday=He would see 30 deer but only put down 10 because he figured he already saw 20 so it was only 10 extra
Saturday=He would see 20 but only put 15

So he would get less tags.

I see 10-15 does every sit after archery season, I only saw 1 during. So I would like to see it. I only take 1-2 deer a year and only older bucks. This year I took an older spike. I could use 1 more deer. So I would like to shoot a doe but can't.
doeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #87
Ca$ey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb co. Wilson co.

It would definitely be beneficial in Wilson. I shot 2 myself during archery this year and know of 5 that were killed by vehicles just in front of my house. That happens every year and still there’s 30 doe to 4 bucks at a time at every feeder or any given time you feed the road. Heck I’ll have 15 doe out eating before I start to climb into the blind.
Ca$ey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #88
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm no expert either, but with this many does and, from what you are saying, no bucks or few bucks, what this causes is extreme stress on the bucks to try and cover all the does, (which doesn't happen) which translates into a smaller fawn crop which translates into less mature deer five years from now. It's a vicious cycle.
It also results in a spread out fawning season instead of all the fawns dropping at once. Spread out increases fawn mortality due to predation. This is one of the big reasons areas with the antler restrictions with more liberal antlerless bag limits have seen stready deer density increases, more fawns are making it because all the does get bred/give birth in a smaller time period.

Last edited by bossbowman; 12-27-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #89
Huntin Addict
Ten Point

Quote:
It also results in a spread out fawning season instead of all the fawns dropping at once. Spread out increases fawn mortality due to predation. This is one of the big reasons areas with the antler restrictions with more liberal antlerless bag limits have seen stready deer density increases, more fawns are making it because all the does get bred/give birth in a smaller time period.
You are correct sir!
Old 01-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #90
Ca$ey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb co. Wilson co.

Took these pics at my place in Wilson county about 10 min ago. Over 40 deer out right now. 4 are yearling bucks rest are doe.
I’d love me some doe days!
Ca$ey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #91
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:

Just my two cents...
This!
We are in a co-op in Colorado county. We get doe permits issued by census. Now you will have the guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get. Stupid idea imo.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #92
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
This!
We are in a co-op in Colorado county. We get doe permits issued by census. Now you will have the guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get. Stupid idea imo.
So does the same guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get do the same in archery season? I mean with a crossbow it's not really that hard is it?

This would be for counties where does are legal to take in archery season.

Last edited by sendit; 01-01-2019 at 05:36 PM.
sendit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #93
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

I will be honest. I didn't know there were not any counties that didn't allow killing doe.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #94
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I will be honest. I didn't know there were not any counties that didn't allow killing doe.

It’s not that they don’t allow it l. It’s they only let us during archery season only. Only way around that is going through MLD which not everyone is on. Therefore giving these does days will give those places that need to take does take them legally with a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DPerez905 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #95
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$ey View Post
Took these pics at my place in Wilson county about 10 min ago. Over 40 deer out right now. 4 are yearling bucks rest are doe.
I’d love me some doe days!
SON! you've got a female problem. Reminds me the way the state park used to look before they started doing draw hunts.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #96
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
So does the same guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get do the same in archery season? I mean with a crossbow it's not really that hard is it?

This would be for counties where does are legal to take in archery season.
Its not
Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #97
janak
Six Point

Hunt In: Colorado and Kerr Co.

I will say that this coming season will not be the year to start doe days. I say this because of how bad of a deer season it has been in Colorado Co. I get 7 doe tags every year split across 3 places. Normally we harvest 4-5 does. This season in of all my sits on one property I have seen 3 deer total. Where last year 5 to 20 deer where normally seen. I believe this season will really screw the numbers up on deer density in areas due to the acorn crop and not harvesting deer. I am also against doe days because of small property sizes and believe there will be an over harvest of does. I do understand also that TWPD paints a wide swath when proposing doe days. Not a lot of other counties have a co-op the size of Colorado County that have been maintaining deer populations for years.
janak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #98
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by janak View Post
I will say that this coming season will not be the year to start doe days. I say this because of how bad of a deer season it has been in Colorado Co. I get 7 doe tags every year split across 3 places. Normally we harvest 4-5 does. This season in of all my sits on one property I have seen 3 deer total. Where last year 5 to 20 deer where normally seen. I believe this season will really screw the numbers up on deer density in areas due to the acorn crop and not harvesting deer. I am also against doe days because of small property sizes and believe there will be an over harvest of does. I do understand also that TWPD paints a wide swath when proposing doe days. Not a lot of other counties have a co-op the size of Colorado County that have been maintaining deer populations for years.
This was a good year for the deer a bad year for the hunter, they've got plenty of groceries and water this year so movement and sightings are down, yet to TBD how the fawn crop will survive but it has potential to be great.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #99
bossbowman
Ten Point

For those interested about the details as proposed in January, did not realize the counties with 4 doe days are moving to 16 next year https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feed....phtml#item_05
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #100
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Quote:
For those interested about the details as proposed in January, did not realize the counties with 4 doe days are moving to 16 next year https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feed....phtml#item_05
Bout dang time. My kids will be able to gun hunt before bow hunt. Was really not looking forward to having to try to squeeze that in on thanksgiving weekend.
toledo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top