Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Huntin Addict
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr and Colorado Counties
Default What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Below is a proposal from TPWD. I would like to hear some opinions on the topic.

Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) is considering implementing a 4-day antlerless season across much of the District 7 area. The earliest this regulation might occur would be the 2019-2020 hunting season. This article will provide the information on the counties under consideration (CUC), current antlerless seasons throughout the state, historical seasons within these counties, and biological reasons why the 4-day antlerless season is being proposed.

Currently, the CUC would include all of the following counties: Austin, Bastrop, Caldwell, Colorado, Dewitt, Fayette, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Karnes, Lavaca, Lee, Waller, Washington, and Wilson.
In addition to these counties, Goliad, Jackson, Victoria, and Wharton counties north of U.S. Highway 59 and Comal, Hays, and Travis east of IH-35.

Currently, the proposed 4-day antlerless season would start on the Thursday of Thanksgiving and finish the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The bag limits would remain at 2 antlerless deer (like it currently is for archery season). On properties that have been issued Managed Lands Deer Permits (MLDP), permits would have to be used during the 4-day season and would not be an ‘additional’ harvest.

One potential requirement would be the mandatory reporting of doe harvested during this 4-day antlerless season. This would give TPWD good data on how many does were being harvested outside the MLDP issuance and allow for better monitoring of the population. Since annual harvest reporting is already required for MLDP cooperators, this aspect would extend to all antlerless deer harvested and tagged with a hunting license tag.
Huntin Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Already do this in several counties. Works well. Not nearly enough does are harvested in general IMHO.
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Better than no days at all. Lots of counties have gone to this over the last few years.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Already do this in several counties. Works well. Not nearly enough does are harvested in general IMHO.
Agree with this. They should open up more days for doe harvest. More people need to shoot does. It's good for the herd overall.
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
JeffK
Ten Point

It may hurt the coops that hand out doe permits. It may also hurt/wipe out the deer populations in areas that are mostly open with small strips of brush along creeks. Some of these areas never had deer before and now grow some pretty nice bucks.

Also, don't like the idea of a small property with 5 hunters being able to take 10 does..etc.

I guess I'm against it or don't see the reason for it? It's not like we have an excessive deer population. If anything, give the youth 2 doe tags during early season.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Just so I am clear the intent on removing doe's from the majority of general season was that it would increase the population of deer in that county? That is the only reason correct?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

When they had an open season on does around franklin they decimated the number of does but the bucks that have come back in recent years have been studs. I think more doe tags should be handed out in certain areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Love it in Navarro Co. They need the buck season closed for a year and harvest does only here to up the age structure in the bucks but it will never happen so I can live with doe days.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Would like it for our part of Lavaca Co.

SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTXAg06 View Post

With you on this one as well.

DPerez905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Kinney county

I like it. I am over run with does in Seguin.
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #12
Red Man
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction/ Columbus/Shelby/Clinton,Mo

In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...
Red Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I'm not sure it would be good for our part of Colorado County. We are just getting to the point where you can see deer on a regular basis. I don't think we are overrun with doe.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
44mAG
Ten Point

This would kill our Bastrop county place. We are home to at most 5-6 does a year. After two years of this rule, there wouldn't be a doe in sight.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Red Man
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
I'm not sure it would be good for our part of Colorado County. We are just getting to the point where you can see deer on a regular basis. I don't think we are overrun with doe.
Colorado county public comment meeting about this is tonight at 630 I believe at the Colorado county ems Building.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
Colorado county public comment meeting about this is tonight at 630 I believe at the Colorado county ems Building.
I wish I could make it. I live in Spring and can't breakaway today. They should ask Bob Carol if he would propose doe days again. We went from seeing a few deer out there to zero for a long time.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
diamonde40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harwood, Texas

Anything will help here in Caldwell County. Does have to be killed only during Archery season unless you are MLD. I would like to see it extended all the way through the Sunday after Thanksgiving at least, but I'll take any extra days they are willing to allow.
diamonde40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #18
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

I think it’ll help at our place in bastrop/lee. We have a ton of doe and I feel like it’ll take a lot of pressure off the bucks, since a lot of people around us shoot the first barely legal 8 and spike they see so they can fill the freezer
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

I think this is badly needed in specific areas where there are too many does. My wife used to drive to work every morning down country roads just north of Lampasas, and she hit deer 4 times in one year, all of them does. Each hit did $3K - $5K in damage. They were EVERYWHERE, herds of them. Hit a couple myself, too. These aren't fancy bucks or anything anybody would hunt, they were just little trash deer. I remember thinking about how TPWD should have a special season on them, or maybe, say, every 2 or 3 years raise the doe limit to 10, or even unlimited, just to get the numbers down, at least temporarily.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #20
mako191
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
I think it’ll help at our place in bastrop/lee. We have a ton of doe and I feel like it’ll take a lot of pressure off the bucks, since a lot of people around us shoot the first barely legal 8 and spike they see so they can fill the freezer

mako191 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #21
mako191
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post

Do you really think those people will not shoot the 8 or spike in addition to the does? I would bet good money that they will.

mako191 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #22
flyinstroke
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunt,TX

Isn't this what MLD is for. I would love to be able to shoot 2 does in Wharton County north of 59 but I don't think it will take very long to get back to the point where it was 10 years ago. Mandatory reporting will not do a bit of good. How many people will forget about reporting it the morning after?
flyinstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #23
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako191 View Post
Do you really think those people will not shoot the 8 or spike in addition to the does? I would bet good money that they will.

I’m sure they will. But I’d like to think a couple of them would hold off for a more mature buck since they know they will be able to atleast get meat with the Doe days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #24
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

The biologist in Colorado and Austin Counties told me there was a massive overpopulation of does and he couldn’t pay people to shoot them. He’d give doe permits and they’d almost invariably end up unused. Obviously it can vary a lot property to property, but I think it’s a good idea for the most part.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette
Default tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
The biologist in Colorado and Austin Counties told me there was a massive overpopulation of does and he couldn’t pay people to shoot them. He’d give doe permits and they’d almost invariably end up unused. Obviously it can vary a lot property to property, but I think it’s a good idea for the most part.
I guess I am one of those guys. lol I get tags for Colorado County but very rarely use them.
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #26
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Doe season should last all season.

If you don't cull the doe, nature will.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
Dushon
Ten Point

Let me explain this simply for y’all that are against it. If you don’t think you have enough deer that you need to kill a doe, then don’t. Bam. It’s pretty simple really. If you live next to some redneck that shoots 30 deer a year it most likely doesn’t matter if he gets a doe now...

Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #28
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
I guess I am one of those guys. lol I get tags for Colorado County but very rarely use them.
When I had a place in Austin County I was the same way. I always had ambitions, just never got around to harvesting the 4-5 does I was given tags for. Every year I'd tell the guy I was going to, every year I'd fail.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #29
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I think it's a good idea for a lot of those areas. Unless, I'm mistaken, you can't even take does in general season without an MLD tag in some of these counties. Also, 4 days is pretty short time frame and on any given year could be a complete bust due to bad weather conditions or whatever.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #30
uncle jesse
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette & Blanco Counties

I'm in favor of the doe days. I'd rather have folks take a doe for meat than a 12" illegal buck.

I'll admit that folks have to use common sense and regulate themselves on the number they take.

Disclaimer: the common sense part bothers me!
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #31
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...
I'm thinking this is the route to take, and see what the overall impact is. I've counted 22 doe at one time in our pasture, and there isn't much hunting pressure in our area at all. But that could be because of the lack of hunters due to the no doe during rifle season restrictions. But I would hope that they would open it up slowly and take an assessment of the change in population before opening the door wide open and regretting it when it's too late

Quote:
I need to contact him and see about getting into the program I have a couple of kids who would enjoy getting a doe under their belt
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #32
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Curious what are the biologist using to determine an overpopulation of does? I hope they are not using a buck to doe ratio because there is no way this can match south texas. You have one area where bucks are taken at all ages and rarely make it to 5 years old and another area that has age structure on bucks up to 7.5 and less deer being taken at a younger age. If this is to help the buck to doe ratio, remove the extra spike tag.

I usually see 20 does per sitting, but I don't consider this an overpopulation when they don't care one bit about corn. Before doe tags were handed out, I had sits where I counted over 50 does.

Last edited by JeffK; 12-18-2018 at 04:45 PM.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #33
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
Curious what are the biologist using to determine an overpopulation of does? I hope they are not using a buck to doe ratio because there is no way this can match south texas. You have one area where bucks are taken at all ages and rarely make it to 5 years old and another area that has age structure on bucks up to 7.5 and less deer being taken at a younger age. If this is to help the buck to doe ratio, remove the extra spike tag.

I usually see 20 does per sitting, but I don't consider this an overpopulation when they don't care one bit about corn. Before doe tags were handed out, I had sits where I counted over 50 does.
I would lay money its all politically driven. Just like the antler restrictions. Call Mitch Lockwood and ask him the truth behind it. He told me the antler restrictions were politically driven. He is pretty good to talk with when you can get ahold of him.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #34
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

I’m in Waller county and in my situation, I don’t think it’s a good idea. The property I hunt has at least 5 different properties adjoining it and I rarely see a 4yo buck, so letting does be shot during gun season would decimate the population. The most does I’ve seen in 2 years on TC has been 8 so the herd isn’t big at all.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #35
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Does the science support it? The main county I hunt had 2 doe days in the 1990's, first 2 days of general season, then we went to first 9 days, then all of November. Then in 2009 when the AR regs came it was all season plus 2 more weekends in January late season. No changes now for about a decade but our deer population has been on a steady but slow rise for 20 years and the land is not near as fragmented as those southeastern counties.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #36
Red Man
Six Point

I think the doe day issue is driven by many factors. Politics, insurance carriers, and some landowners are pushing the issue and the state biologist I talked to is not against it. This leads me to believe that the decision has pretty much been made to have doe days. JMO
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #37
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

On big properties in areas with more deer, if there truly is an overpopulation, then the proposal makes sense. I just can't see it being good in areas like where I hunt in Colorado county where every 20 acre city rancher can bring the whole family and im stuck with 2 mld tags. Seems like a good way to reduce participation in mld and shoot out certain areas.

Last edited by FVR JR; 12-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #38
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
On big properties in areas with more deer, if there truly is an overpopulation, then the proposal makes sense. I just can't see it being good in areas like where I hunt in Colorado county where every 20 acre city rancher can bring the whole family and im stuck with 2 mld tags. Seems like a good way to reduce participation in mld and shoot out certain areas.
I'd be curious to see the amount of huntable acres in the county that are not MLD vs MLD land. The MLD guys have been doing their "job" for the last, what 18 years? The people who care about the county wide deer herd are on MLD. It's not difficult to join if want to.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #39
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again.
I'm old enough to remember when the state did this in Colorado County in the 60's and everyone that owned property were charging people to come in and shoot doe. We suffered from a lack of deer for a good long while after that on the 1800 acres we hunted.

In Jackson county north of 59 you can't take doe with a rifle unless you're MLD and get the tags and in some parts north of 59 there are a lot of doe and this would be a good deal in that area. However those who own property on the Lavaca River have a shortage of doe and bucks since the bad flood we had with Hurricane Harvey. We lost a LOT of deer.

I already told our biologist that we won't be shooting any doe this year and we didn't shoot any last year either but we got the tags anyway. Before Harvey we saw groups of doe at every stand heck just doing our survey we had more than enough doe and we'd use all of our doe tags.

We hardly see any now.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #40
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Guess I'll jump in. I would love a doe only season in Mills county. All hunting season. It would hurt the people that lease their land but I think it would be good for the long run. Flame away.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #41
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

As a hunter in Bastrop Co, I think it's a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #42
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I live and hunt in SE Gonzales county and we have very few does. I've got three does to go from one feeder to the next. Sure some areas probably need to harvest does but not here. The tpw needs to issue doe tags per the game surveys. They are just making it easy on themselves by just having doe days and during thanksgiving when they are off work. I know the meat hunters next to me would kill all the does and bring their buddies to try to kill the more. I am totally against it but as already posted their mind is made up.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #43
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPerez905 View Post
With you on this one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTXAg06 View Post

Why? Are you on the MLD property?

I'm not with you on this one. I'm seeing less and less deer.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #44
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

We are not on mld property and we’re seeing more does every year than bucks. More does doesn’t always mean a good thing. There’s not enough bucks that come running through during rut to take care of all of them and that’s why we see atleast at our place an extended rut. I’ve seen bucks chase does in our county from September all the way to January last year. Just my two cents here but this is why I’m down for it.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #45
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPerez905 View Post
We are not on mld property and we’re seeing more does every year than bucks. More does doesn’t always mean a good thing. There’s not enough bucks that come running through during rut to take care of all of them and that’s why we see atleast at our place an extended rut. I’ve seen bucks chase does in our county from September all the way to January last year. Just my two cents here but this is why I’m down for it.

Are you seeing twice as many does as bucks or more than that? How many deer is your property holding?

Our numbers are way down. I'm seeing more does than bucks but probably 2:1.

We haven't used any of our tags. Last year the state issued 3000 doe tags and only 1100 were used.

Why arent you MLD? Sorry for all the question, just curious.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #46
DPerez905
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post
Are you seeing twice as many does as bucks or more than that? How many deer is your property holding?

We haven't used any of our tags. Last year the state issued 3000 doe tags and only 1100 were used.

Here in the past couple years we’ve been seeing 3 does to one buck. We also see lots of fawns early bow season full of spots and I’ve heard that’s due to high doe population and not enough bucks to breed those does. Not sure what truth there is to that. Not sure why we don’t have mld but it’s just been that way.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #47
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:

Just my two cents...

100% agree. It was not a good thing 26 yrs ago and doubt it would be today. Although if I remember correctly it was the last 2weeks of season when it was opened years ago. Not everyone was responsible, but the 150acres with 6 family members hunting or grandpas place with 10 grandkids shooting out the back door destroyed some areas. Some does may need to be shot, but not 2 tags per liscense on a small place with numerous hunters.
Stuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #48
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

I don't like the Thanksgiving thur sunday for dates. That's all.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #49
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Doe season should last all season.

If you don't cull the doe, nature will.
Nature and vehicle's will.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #50
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoses View Post

No, we aren’t MLD. We have a little over a 100 ac total. That being said, there is a few hundred more around us that isn’t hunted, or is only hunted a few times a season. I know most of the neighbors that do hunt, and very few if any bow hunt, so does tend to not get killed in our area. It’s not uncommon to see 8-20 does. In fact, we have a group of 10 or so doe that consistently hang out around our place.

Edit: It’s likely that a doe day later in the season would lead to one doe being shot on our place.

Last edited by SoTXAg06; 12-18-2018 at 11:00 PM.
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top