Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #51
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctburt0n View Post
I have a lot of smoky mountain, gum & candy. Iíll make it. God willing.
This is how I quit my 26 year habit 10 years ago. Stay focused and busy. Praying the Lord will give you the strength to endure.
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #52
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Prayer sent.

Got a buddy of mine that hates me. I'll dip for a while and then just quit cold turkey. Wont pick up again for some time and then on a whim try it again. He's not able to do this.

Now the last time I quit, I'll admit. It had more to do with getting bad heart burn. Bad enough to make you cry. I've not had a dip in 10 years.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #53
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

Cold turkey. Testament to it can be done. Good luck buddy.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #54
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

I quit last New Years after almost a 20 year habit. I was up to 2 cans per day. One day at a time.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #55
lost cajun
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, Mississippi, South Louisiana

Any other place than HEB to get Smokey Mountain? I donít have an HEB near me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lost cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #56
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I dipped copenhagen for 35 years, at least a can a day, I think I am on year 12 since I quit, it was just cold turkey, was not planned at all, just decided to throw it away one day, was rough for about a week, you can do it !!!
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #57
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Missouri, East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost cajun View Post
Any other place than HEB to get Smokey Mountain? I donít have an HEB near me.

Cheapest directly from them. I have ordered from Amazon when in a pinch. Pun intended.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #58
DWS
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazoria County

If I can you can. Same situation. My son asked me why don't I quit and I didn't have an answer. So I dumped the can out on the ground. Never looked back. He was so happy to watch me quit. That's what pushed me. The first week is tough but it gets easier.
KillTheCan.org helped me. A lot of useful info and reviews on fake or mint snuffs. That's what I used. Plus they have a quit tracker to keep count of the days. Pretty Cool to watch the progress. Good luck
DWS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #59
Micahbo
Four Point

Hunt In: Bastrop County and Lampasas County

You got this. Lots of good motivation here. Keep it up!
Micahbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #60
hunt247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Saint Jo

cinnamon gum helped me before
hunt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #61
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quit Copenhagen after 30 years. Quit several times before but this last time was 6 years ago. I used Chantix and had a determined mind. The Chantix cut my cravings by 60% I'd say. Sure glad it's behind me for good.
I'm no stranger to addictions. No drugs or alcohol for 25 years. Copenhagen was harder than those to kick. Stay strong.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #62
TSU2011
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Check out Fully Loaded Chew
TSU2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #63
ROBINHOOD11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin Co, Denton Co, Grayson Co

I quit on Oct. 11th 2014..... I really enjoy not being controlled by it now though it wasn't easy. You got this, it's just a mindset.

Coincidentally Oct 11th was the last time I shot a buck. Maybe it was my lucky charm.
ROBINHOOD11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #64
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Best of luck!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #65
GOODEN
Six Point

My father n law quit cold turkey after dipping for 30+ years. He saw a close friend/coworker loose his life to throat cancer from it and told me he didnít want to do the same. He said he had grandkids to watch grow up and wanted to be there for them. I didnít think he could do it but itís been 2-3 years and heís still going strong! You can do it!
GOODEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #66
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODEN View Post
My father n law quit cold turkey after dipping for 30+ years. He saw a close friend/coworker loose his life to throat cancer from it and told me he didnít want to do the same. He said he had grandkids to watch grow up and wanted to be there for them. I didnít think he could do it but itís been 2-3 years and heís still going strong! You can do it!
When you see someone lose their jaw or cheek from mouth cancer, makes you think. I had no problem quitting when
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #67
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODEN View Post
My father n law quit cold turkey after dipping for 30+ years. He saw a close friend/coworker loose his life to throat cancer from it and told me he didn’t want to do the same. He said he had grandkids to watch grow up and wanted to be there for them. I didn’t think he could do it but it’s been 2-3 years and he’s still going strong! You can do it!
When you see someone lose their jaw or cheek from mouth cancer, makes you think. I had no problem quitting when I seen the affects.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #68
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Everyone has to find their reason.... Mine was when Obammy raised the taxes and almost doubled the cost.

My go-to substitute was that mornings used coffee grounds and about 1/2-1 tsp of whiskey in a snuff can... free and did the job.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #69
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I think cold turkey is the way to go, using whatever works for you to satisfy the "oral fixation". For some that may be fake snuff, for others mints, etc. Don't do what I did- I switched to nicorette gum. While eliminating the cancer risk of tobacco all you have done is change to a safer nicotine delivery system - the addiction is still there. Quitting nic gum is just as hard and that stuff is crazy expensive. Better to put it down knowing it will be painful and you will be quite grumpy for a while.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #70
ROBINHOOD11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin Co, Denton Co, Grayson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I think cold turkey is the way to go, using whatever works for you to satisfy the "oral fixation". For some that may be fake snuff, for others mints, etc. Don't do what I did- I switched to nicorette gum. While eliminating the cancer risk of tobacco all you have done is change to a safer nicotine delivery system - the addiction is still there. Quitting nic gum is just as hard and that stuff is crazy expensive. Better to put it down knowing it will be painful and you will be quite grumpy for a while.
Agree!

I tried this a few times and just went back to the Cope. Only thing that worked was cold turkey for me.
ROBINHOOD11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #71
varminthunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Hext,TX

You can do it!! I dipped for almost 15 years - 7 years tobacco free
varminthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #72
TXDUCKCUTTER
Four Point

Hunt In: Chita

I quit back in Feb Cold Turkey when my friends dad had both jawbones removed and it happens fast.The first 100days are tough,after the first 3 or 4 days it gets easier.Get you some BACCOFF from amazon,its nicotine free and feels the closest to the real deal.Do some reading on killthecan its a pretty good site.hang in there.
TXDUCKCUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #73
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

You can do it. First three days was the hardest for me. But after that it got easier. Peppermints between my cheek and gum helped a lot.

ďThere's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.Ē -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #74
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

good luck!
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #75
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Started out with Copenhagen when I was 13. Went to Red Seal long cut when Copenhagen got so expensive. Been dipping now for 48 years and have been thinking about quitting.

Thanks to this thread I think I'll try.

Thanks.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #76
swanjts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

I quit cold turkey about a month ago after 30+ years. No Smokey Mountain or anything as a crutch. You can do it too.
swanjts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #77
The Rhino
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano/Dripping Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjts View Post
I quit cold turkey about a month ago after 30+ years. No Smokey Mountain or anything as a crutch. You can do it too.
There's absolutely no other way in my opinion other than cold turkey. I've been dipping for 15 years up until about 6 years ago when I did quit for 2 years cold turkey until relapsing. A few months back I did ween myself off of snuff by decreasing my intake, I tried nicotine gum but it didn't do much for me as it didn't give me the anywhere near the Copenhagen fix I was used too, not to mention made me hickup uncontrollably. What truly did it for me, was having my 2 year old daughter one weekend, in which she spit on the ground after me mimicking my motions and I said enough! 6 weeks to the day I have been clean, I chose a Friday because it gave me all weekend to coop myself up inside away from everybody to get past the withdrawls. The first three days were a living heck, but followed by a huge relief, with a bittersweet struggle up to about the 2 week mark. After 2 weeks I did also experience some depression unlike I have ever experienced before, it lasted about a week but I did overcome that darkness. I did purchase some Smokey Mountain fake dip a couple times in between when I got some intense cravings, and it did help tremendously. I get some moments of being a little snippy, or irritable overcoming the stresses of my profession from time to time, but can definately say Ive got it licked. I strongly urge anybody quitting recently or thinking about quitting to check out the website Kill The Can as it is an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding what to expect, and what can happen if you dont quit with lots of support. Good luck, If I can you can!
The Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #78
DeanvilleHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Burleson county

Good luck!
DeanvilleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #79
LROSE
Ten Point

YOU CAN DO IT !!! It sucks but just have to take it one day at a time.

2 Years Ago.
Son (3rd Grade): "Why do you and mommy do drugs?"
Me: "Buddy, we don't do drugs."
Son: "Yes you do. You and mom smoke cigarettes. They are drugs too."
Me: "Do you want us to quit?"
Son: "Yes daddy."

SO we quit COLD TURKEY WHILE ON VACATION AT DISNEY WORLD !!!!
LROSE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #80
Radar
Pope & Young

When I started dipping the cheapest stuff was called happy days and it was 15 cents or so. Bull Durham plug tobacco was cheaper than Happy Days. My great grandma was snorting snuff and I can remember it, said “TOP” on the can

Last edited by Radar; 12-14-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #81
Louis
Ten Point

I quit cold turkey after 21 years of hagen snuff. Lots of good reasons to quit. Just make up your mind to quit and you CAN quit. If you like to hunt and fish, think about how much fishin gear and huntin equipment you can buy by not buyin tobacco. Figure up how much it cost in a week and multiply by 52. Lot of money in a year thats bein spit out or swallowed. It's a mind set. Lots of folks on green screen to give you support. I did it. Believe you can too.
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #82
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Jan 2 will be one year for me. Traded a Snuff addiction for a nicotine gum addiction. My breath smells good, no spit cups around and I've reduced the chance half my face gets cut off.
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #83
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Iím trying to stop chewing red man . Been pretty hard .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #84
backinthegame
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever invited

Ive traded the cope for nicotine gum so many times ive lost count. Now i use both. Throwin cope away right now. I got 3 blister pavks of gum left and im done.
backinthegame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #85
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Thanks for starting this thread OP, just went my first whole day with out and snuff! It was terrible but I made it with the help of some Smokey mountain though. Good luck hope your hangin in there!
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #86
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Stay focused. I quit snuff on my son’s birthday a year and a half ago. I had dipped almost 20 years.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #87
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

I just got a few cans of Smoky Mountain. Not bad. For those that use it, do you still spit or just swallow it? From everything I have seen ingredient wise, I can't see a reason to spit it out other than that is what you are used to. I'm using the pouches and it seems weird to spit fairly clear spit. I know some don't spit cope, etc but I'm talking to the ones that spit tobacco. Thanks
cehorn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #88
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

For you guys struggling, forget the gum. It's too different. Go to the lozenges. Start with the 4s, then go to 2s, then quit.

I am at over 4 years and I will never dip again. I began with Copenhagen at 11, at quit at 52. You do the math. But you have to want to quit, and be dedicated.

The reason the lozenges work when the gum doesn't is that they are very, very similar. In fact, if you don't watch your step, you'll get addicted to the lozenges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #89
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
I just got a few cans of Smoky Mountain. Not bad. For those that use it, do you still spit or just swallow it? From everything I have seen ingredient wise, I can't see a reason to spit it out other than that is what you are used to. I'm using the pouches and it seems weird to spit fairly clear spit. I know some don't spit cope, etc but I'm talking to the ones that spit tobacco. Thanks

Been thinking about this thread, Thanks to it I’ve been snuffles exactly 3 weeks now. Went through 6 cans of Smokey mountain the mint pouches any had no need to spit. Sometimes still did out of habit and to make it feel more like sniff maybe but didn’t have too. Heart burn I was dealing with went away after the last sip also. Been 4 days with out the SM now and glad of it l, was getting pretty used to it too although it was very helpful the first couple weeks now it’s just mint gum
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #90
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Last week at church our guest pastor had a good sermon about asking for help and then trusting that it would be done. I've heard this type of message before many times. Well this time I gave all my worries over to the lord. I know these things will be taken care of.
The funny thing is quitting my 30 + year smokeless tobacco habit was not even on my mind at the time. I was going to stop on the way home and grab a few cans for the next couple days when I realized I didn't actually want to buy it. Normally I would kinda get freaked out at the thought of running out. So I went into the store and bought some smoky mountain instead.
I no longer desire tobacco, been almost a week and I have not had any trouble with out it.
Thank you Lord
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #91
Iolabowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes & Leon Tx. Counties- Lanark, IL -Kansas

Prayers up for all kicking the habit, I am weak but He is strong!

Land or Sea, Blessed by Thee!
Iolabowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #92
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
Jan 2 will be one year for me. Traded a Snuff addiction for a nicotine gum addiction. My breath smells good, no spit cups around and I've reduced the chance half my face gets cut off.

Same here. I quit june 9 2018 but traded it for the gum. My reason was having to get new life insurance and telling the truth. You can do it.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 PM   #93
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

I’ve chewed for quite some time also. Quit for three years, started again. Have not had one sense Christmas. Not sure how long it will be this time but don’t miss it to bad at all.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #94
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Glad I opened this post. Been dipping 1-2 cans of Copenhagen for twenty years now and I think itís just out of habit anymore. The hardest part is everyone one I know dips snuff. I quit for four months a couple of years ago and as soon as a buddy opened a can in my pickup I had to have one. For me in four months the want never did go away. Think Iíll give it another go tomorrow. My work is cracking down on it pretty hard and itís a ton of money to just spit away. Thanks OP!
IvoryRoot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #95
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryRoot View Post
Glad I opened this post. Been dipping 1-2 cans of Copenhagen for twenty years now and I think itís just out of habit anymore. The hardest part is everyone one I know dips snuff. I quit for four months a couple of years ago and as soon as a buddy opened a can in my pickup I had to have one. For me in four months the want never did go away. Think Iíll give it another go tomorrow. My work is cracking down on it pretty hard and itís a ton of money to just spit away. Thanks OP!
Best of luck to ya. It is simply a habit. Buy some smoky mountain or tear open a tea bag and dip that instead.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #96
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

I quit about 15 years ago. Itís a difficult habit to break. If you can go without for a day, you can go two. If you can go two days you can go a week and so on. Donít give in.
It eventually got better for me- but itís takes commitment.

Hang tough guys- you can persevere.

basschump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #97
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

A can a day habit is around $1,825 per year.

basschump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #98
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I participated in this thread back in December without mentioning I was still dipping but about to take another stab at quitting. The last time I quit I switched to the gum with the intent of gradually easing off of that. Instead, I just developed a very expensive nic gum habit which lead me back to snuff - I knew I needed to quit nicotine completely.

I had my last dip on New Year's Eve so I'm about 6 weeks in. No nic gum this time. The first 2-3 weeks was really tough. (Not just the cravings - I did not realize insomnia was common with nicotine withdrawal.) Now that some time has gone by, I still get the cravings but they are generally not as strong and go away quicker. Dipping the fake stuff - Smoky Mountain - has helped. The info and support on www.kickthecan.org has helped as well. According that site, 100 days is some kind of magic number. If you can make it that long you are not home free, but chances of permanent success goes up greatly. I'm not halfway to that 100 day mark but I am determined to make this my last quit. 35 years is long enough to be controlled by a chemical.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #99
Japeatr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sterling City/Mason TX

just ordered the sample pack of smoky mountain to try after reading this thread
Japeatr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #100
Bdub25
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

You can do it. Im going on 16 months snuff free. This is after a 30 year, 2-3 can per day habit. I never thought i could quit, but i quit cold turkey. If i can do it, anybody can.
Bdub25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top